Deer hunting on the CMR refuge

This kinda stinks at least they didn't open it up to B tags. I'd rather seen them make the whole refuge same as prior North side regulations myself.

Here's a topic I believe the refuge would be wise to change. Right now it is only buck harvest. Why not open that up to either sex with your A tag?

Ease some of the pressure on those young bucks.

I'm perplexed as to why you guys are against the Feds relaxing regs and basically tossing management to the State? Can't the state reduce the season if management warranted? I would assume if they did the feds would go along with it. Thats how it works here. The seasons on refuges are in line with what the state's are, but the bag limit may be different.

I find this strange that opportunity a bad thing? The state seems to think their management practices can support their seasons/bag limits.

I'm also guessing that all the nay-sayers do not hunt mule deer after November 12, and will avoid the CMR in protest for the late season? :rolleyes:

I'm perplexed as to why you guys are against the Feds relaxing regs and basically tossing management to the State? Can't the state reduce the season if management warranted? I would assume if they did the feds would go along with it. Thats how it works here. The seasons on refuges are in line with what the state's are, but the bag limit may be different.

I find this strange that opportunity a bad thing? The state seems to think their management practices can support their seasons/bag limits.

I'm also guessing that all the nay-sayers do not hunt mule deer after November 12, and will avoid the CMR in protest for the late season? :rolleyes:

Maybe you are not familiar with Montana's philosophy on mule deer "management". Some of us like the idea of giving the mule deer a break during the rut.

+1

I don’t think it’s a huge issue, unless somebody comes along and tells me that after hunting both, they see a marked difference in deer quality between the CMR and non-CMR lands. I hunt off the CMR where the state regs control. I see about as good of deer as I can imagine you find anywhere in the Breaks.

I'm not for the free for all that this state provides and calling it "management." When they opened up two districts that used to close November 15, and now runs an entire season the bucks took a beating. What used to be an area where a guy could find a good amount of bucks in that up and coming state in their lives some damn nice ones they got whacked. Over the years now that it's been open the quality of deer in those areas has dropped significantly. It'll never rebound until it's changed i feel. Sure it creates more access and will spread people out a bit better. I would like to see areas like that be a draw area and give them a chance. Next they'll open up 652.

Last edited:
The sky may not be falling but the black clouds are getting thicker and closer to the ground. I have never been in the breaks but I doubt it is much different than SE MT. In SE MT the public land mule deer herd has been declining since the 80's. Sure there are some times when the herd improves for a few years but the over all trend has been steadily down. The current season structure is not sustainable. The way I see it is that we can keep the current season structure and limited entry units will continue to expand from the west until the entire state is limited entry or we can go to a season that is mostly in Oct. I don't see much of a future if we keep the same season structure if you are a public land hunter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back