Caribou Gear

Colorado Elk 57/ 58

Outdoor Junkie

Hello all,

I hope everyone's trip planning is coming along well. My buddies and I are heading back our west, this time for a Unit 57/ 58 First Rifle Season hunt in Colorado. I've spent a lot of time pouring over hunting board messages, Onxamps, Caltopo, google earth (toprut downloads) and just about everything else you could think of. In addition, both my brother and I have talked to the biologist, so we think we're in pretty good shape.

With that said, if anyone has been in the area I'd love to bounce some questions off of you. To summarize what I've been told at this point, we have been told to focus on the dark timber/ mountains in 58, with recommendations on a couple specific mountains. We have also been told to focus on other areas of water as it's pretty arid and there are portions of the unit with very little water. I could expand upon this, but I don't want to necessarily put too much detail on the internet for mass consumption.

We have a couple areas picked out that look great from google earth, but the biologist didn't say much about them and I haven't see them mentioned in other posts online. I was hoping to bounce them off of someone with experience in the area to see if we are onto something or are full of chit.....

Also, for the more experienced elk hunters on here, would you call much in the third week of October or listen and just move in on them once you've identified their location. The more podcasts I listen to, the more I'm convinced that less is more.

Thanks for the feedback in advance,
Chuck

Hacen't been in those units so I cannot speak to that but I would not be calling during the third week of October. I would guess you will be lucky to even hear a bugle, and if you do I would assume it would be an immature bull or another hunter. Best of luck!

I would agree with Matty B. I have been out during 3rd season quite a few times, never heard a bugle. I can say I have used a cow call to stop elk pretty much year round though, might be beneficial to carry one with you.

I would think glassing is the name of the game on the 3rd season. And pray for some snow to push them down.

Hey guys,

I appreciate the feedback. I was talking about the third week of October (October 13-17) and not the third season. Sorry about the confusion my initial post caused.

Do you think calling would still be useful at that time? I know that the rut will be pretty much over, but I’ve heard that some of the rag horns will probably be somewhat vocal at that time.

Thanks for the feedback!
Chuck

Back