Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Browning Hell's Canyon Vs. Christensen Arms Mesa?

Yotkilr

Looking at getting a new all around hunting rifle that can also be capable of some long range target shooting. Right now anyway leaning towards Browning Hell's Canyon or a Christensen Arms Mesa. Does anyone have any good or not so good reviews on these? Also leaning towards .300 Win mag but open to opinions on other calibers. Will mostly be used on Deer, Elk and Bear. I have a Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24x50 to put on it already. Thanks for any advice and reviews.

The Mesa and the Browning Western Hunter was the two I was looking at last year. Held both in hand and liked the Browning better. I've been pleased also with the way it shoots. Wasn't overly impressed with Christensen and that's the way I was leaning at first. As far as caliber I personally like the 7mm good all-around cartridge.

Last edited:
Can't comment on the Mesa but I know my Xbolt is a shooter and the recoil pad tames a lot of recoil on its own

You can search forum here and see my review and where ive spoken of my hells canyon speed in 300wm. Its also has a viper hst. The gun can shoot better than i am capable. Im getting sub moa at 400 easily. I am a one rifle guy, and have done antleope to elk with it.

I own a Browning Xbolt in 300 WM and a Christensen Arms Mesa in 7 Mag. Asking me to choose between the two would be like asking me which one of my kids is my favorite. They're both great rifles, I would go handle a few and see which one you like. I use the CA more only because I like the performance and recoil of the 7 mag better.

Dad has a Browning in .300 win mag. So far, it is a tack driver with factory ammo. He is getting ready to work up a load with it soon. I bought a Fierce Fury in 28 nosler that is the same so far. Just worked on reloads a little today and am getting ready to update my post with results. Hard to find components or ammo for the 28 now though.

I ordered a CA long range in 300 win mag this week and will lay hands on it tomorrow. Picked it up on gunbroker for the price of a regular mesa. Can't wait to play with it and see what it will do. I love the feel of the trigger tech triggers they are using. I plan on putting a Vortex viper pst 6-24x50 on it for some long range practice.

I have a Hells Canyon Speed rifle in .308. It is a good rifle, nothing to write home about.

I’d look long and hard at bergara. That b14 will outshoot the browning or the CA.

Heck you could get the rifle and scope for the price of either of those two.

If you are gonna spend over $1200 then go cycle the bolt on the bergara with the premier action. Nobody I knew had one two years ago and there’s two dozen with my group of friends now and they all shoot. Tikkas and sako too.

I know those were not listed in the OP but my buddy who has a safe full of coopers has a safe full of coopers and a back seat of bergaras during hunting season if you know what I mean.

I was shooting pop cans at 634 yards the other day with my b14 hunter. Lots of love for the money.

I’d look long and hard at bergara. That b14 will outshoot the browning or the CA.

Heck you could get the rifle and scope for the price of either of those two.

If you are gonna spend over $1200 then go cycle the bolt on the bergara with the premier action. Nobody I knew had one two years ago and there’s two dozen with my group of friends now and they all shoot. Tikkas and sako too.

I know those were not listed in the OP but my buddy who has a safe full of coopers has a safe full of coopers and a back seat of bergaras during hunting season if you know what I mean.

I was shooting pop cans at 634 yards the other day with my b14 hunter. Lots of love for the money.

Thanks i will look into the Bergara's also. Thanks everyone else for the reviews and opinions also! Will probably be heading to Bismark for work today going to stop by a few shops and handle a few different ones and see how they feel.

I have the browning in 7mm rem mag and love it. Shooting is like my golf game, buying custom clubs won't lower my golf score... I'm the weakest link in both.

I've been looking at these two also. I've seen some reviews of the Mesa shooting half MOA with factory ammo. The Browning may do that as well maybe with hand loads. If price is an issue check out the Browning stalker long range. You can find them for $750 which is considerably less than the Mesa. I held both last weekend and they are both nice looking rifles.

More like ironic and surprising. Not funny. My good friend from Sheridan Wyoming just got the ridge model and he’s about ready to make a boat anchor out of his SPS Remlin if you want it. :p

More like ironic and surprising. Not funny. My good friend from Sheridan Wyoming just got the ridge model and he’s about ready to make a boat anchor out of his SPS Remlin if you want it. :p

005.jpg
Remington's don't shoot Stu. I would have to get your buds rifle at an extreme discount. mtmuley

Browning makes a great product and I have been a bit underwhelmed with CA for the price.

Here's a "group" I shot out of my plain Jane Xbolt in 26 Nosler at 310 yards with factory Nosler Trophy Grade 140gr Accubond. I shot 3 rounds for muzzle velocity correction, the first being at 215 and these 2 being at 310. Shots are 1/2" apart on an unbraked $500 rifle.

20180629_090919.jpg

Back