Solo backpack trip - what do you do to stay sane?

I'm a reader, but also preload podcasts to listen to. Sometimes it feels good to hear somebody else's voice other than my own. My 3 go-to books for a multi-day trip are Sand County Almanac, Siddhartha, and As a Man Thinketh. All 3 are relatively small/light, but content heavy. Read a little, contemplate, read some more. Keeping my mind busy and occupied is a crucial aspect of solo trips.

I personally like silence and as much non-electronics related content as possible when solo in the woods. Usually my thoughts and observations are enough to get me through, but I usually bring one of those pocket New Testaments (that annoying people hand out on street corners), one or two books (I'm a slow reader), and polish my camp skills (fire starting, whittling, wood splitting, etc.).

The chipmunk idea is awesome as well.

He told me when you name the chipmunks and set snacks out for them and look forward to seeing them when you get back to camp. He said you need to pack up camp.

I am guilty of feeding them whilst glassing. They love almonds. Haven't gotten around to naming them

So I did a solo hunt last year for 7 days. I personally like to have somewhat of a routine. When you are in the backcountry without signal its nice to have some creature comforts. Don't get me wrong I like the peace and quite, its just 7 days can a long time without talking to anyone, and these help with that.

1. I like listening to the news, so at the time I had direct TV which allowed me to download items from my DVR to my phone/Ipad. So in the morning while getting ready and eating breakfast I listen to the news I had downloaded on IPad.
2. While glassing if I want to break it up a little, I listen to Podcast or books from audible on my IPhone.
3. Then at night I have a different movies downloaded on IPad and a few episodes of a TV show. I can watch throughout the week.

I did a base camp so I had my Truck there to charge my IPad/electronics if needed, but it lasted several days before needing a charge. I also have a solar powered portable charger so I was able to keep my charge up my phone during the day while glassing.

Podcasts and Louis Lamour books. Great combo.

I think part of the benefits of the backcountry is that it forces you to deal with yourself. I wouldn't bring a damn thing and call it a therapy session.

I bring a good book and download podcasts to my phone. I have 10k mah battery and a 26k man battery and just pack the one I figure I'll need. Mostly though, I just find a good place with a view and just relax and try to think about nothing

Audiobooks...
Allows the mind to creatively follow along between morning and evening hunts, great way to handle camp chores, (firewood collection, food prep/clean, bathing, etc. Great way to fall asleep with a timer set.

That and a fly/spin fishing setup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back