PEAX Equipment

Solo backpack trip - what do you do to stay sane?

dididraw

I'm planning a longer solo backpacking trip this Sept. Physically and gear wise I'm set, now I'm wondering about what to do to stay sane for 7-8 days especially if I get stuck in the tent with weather for any significant time.

Thinking about loading some good books on my phone, maybe a movie or two.

What do you all do?

Books on Kindle to read if weathered inside a tent. Books on tape for long hikes where no bears, wolves or cougars though can leave one earbud out if like to roll the dice. iPod with music at night to fall asleep and as hike though see note re bears, wolves or cougars.

I use books on tape for long drives to/from hunts. The books vary from 4 hours to over 10 so can plan accordingly as line up books. I like the Jack Reacher, Lincoln Lawyer and Stone Barrington books for long drives. Helps the hours wash away in the rear view mirror.

I take Copenhagen, whiskey, a journal, and something to read.

Oddly, I take a pile of cut out newspaper crossword puzzles. They're extremely lightweight, and I love doing them. Keeps my mind going and it passes the time. I go crazy sitting in a tent for very long without keeping my mind occupied.

Podcasts are great. Download as many as you can! They also can keep my excitement up if I am getting burnt out. Sleep, eat, catch up on some reading. 7-8 days is a long time. I'd probably head back to the truck for a break for a day. Get a good meal and a good nights sleep. If you have cell service at the truck make a phone call to a significant other. Seems to keep my spirits up.

You say backpack trip in September, but nothing about elk or hunting? Only back packing I do in September is hunting elk and the only down time is when I am asleep but even then I am dreaming about hunting.

Always take some Loius Lamour and Lee Child books even while sitting in a blind.

Just take a book/hunt mag or a movie/music on phone if recharge isnt problem. I will tell you if you have never done it before and are this worried about it, your probably gonna go nuts. Backcountry can be very tough on the mind but is all about confidence and pushing yourself.

I backpack hunt alone almost exclusively, and to me music and podcasts are a great mental boost. I don't like reading or listening to hunting related things while hunting though, diversity is nice.

Any chance you will be close to a stream ? I love to fish and could spend hrs doing it . Also it makes for a tasty meal off a open fire !! Good luck on your quest ! I'm hoping to be back on my feet and hiking /hunting this Fall !!

Depends who you are as some people like hunting with a band at camp and others like solitude. If you are the later I doubt you'll go crazy. Sleep, relax or whatever when you aren't packing.

I was telling a friend of my backpack hunt this fall. He has solo hunted in the past. He told me when you name the chipmunks and set snacks out for them and look forward to seeing them when you get back to camp. He said you need to pack up camp , Hike to the truck, go into town get a beer and burger then spend the night in a motel. Get up the next morning and head back up the mountain.

7-8 days is a long time solo in the mountains, but very rewarding. Whiskey and podcast keep me company.

Books on Kindle to read if weathered inside a tent. Books on tape for long hikes where no bears, wolves or cougars though can leave one earbud out if like to roll the dice. iPod with music at night to fall asleep and as hike though see note re bears, wolves or cougars.

I use books on tape for long drives to/from hunts. The books vary from 4 hours to over 10 so can plan accordingly as line up books. I like the Jack Reacher, Lincoln Lawyer and Stone Barrington books for long drives. Helps the hours wash away in the rear view mirror.

Ahhh, Stone Barrington. That guy is always bonking his lady clients....

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back