Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Solo backpack trip - what do you do to stay sane?

I'm planning a longer solo backpacking trip this Sept. Physically and gear wise I'm set, now I'm wondering about what to do to stay sane for 7-8 days especially if I get stuck in the tent with weather for any significant time.

Thinking about loading some good books on my phone, maybe a movie or two.

What do you all do?

Books on Kindle to read if weathered inside a tent. Books on tape for long hikes where no bears, wolves or cougars though can leave one earbud out if like to roll the dice. iPod with music at night to fall asleep and as hike though see note re bears, wolves or cougars.

I use books on tape for long drives to/from hunts. The books vary from 4 hours to over 10 so can plan accordingly as line up books. I like the Jack Reacher, Lincoln Lawyer and Stone Barrington books for long drives. Helps the hours wash away in the rear view mirror.

I take Copenhagen, whiskey, a journal, and something to read.
    Fear the beard....

4. Default

Hunt hard and download a bunch of hunt talk podcasts!

Take notes. Cards don’t take up much room. Kindle books. Dice.
    Nick Clegg Sr.

Dad
    Husband
    Hunter
    usually in that order
    http://nixoutdoorpursuits.blogspot.com/

Oddly, I take a pile of cut out newspaper crossword puzzles. They're extremely lightweight, and I love doing them. Keeps my mind going and it passes the time. I go crazy sitting in a tent for very long without keeping my mind occupied.
    Can't figure people down there eating hog when they could feed on elk.
    Bear Claw "Jeremiah Johnson"

Podcasts are great. Download as many as you can! They also can keep my excitement up if I am getting burnt out. Sleep, eat, catch up on some reading. 7-8 days is a long time. I'd probably head back to the truck for a break for a day. Get a good meal and a good nights sleep. If you have cell service at the truck make a phone call to a significant other. Seems to keep my spirits up.

You assume that I'm sane to begin with....
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

CWEH...Colorado's Worst Elk Hunter 2007-2017 (but I'm still damned sexy) 10 years of consistency!!

You say backpack trip in September, but nothing about elk or hunting? Only back packing I do in September is hunting elk and the only down time is when I am asleep but even then I am dreaming about hunting.

10. Default

Always take some Loius Lamour and Lee Child books even while sitting in a blind.

Just take a book/hunt mag or a movie/music on phone if recharge isnt problem. I will tell you if you have never done it before and are this worried about it, your probably gonna go nuts. Backcountry can be very tough on the mind but is all about confidence and pushing yourself.

I backpack hunt alone almost exclusively, and to me music and podcasts are a great mental boost. I don't like reading or listening to hunting related things while hunting though, diversity is nice.

13. Default

whittle a stick and try not to cut myself while doing it.

Fill your tag as early as possible!

Any chance you will be close to a stream ? I love to fish and could spend hrs doing it . Also it makes for a tasty meal off a open fire !! Good luck on your quest ! I'm hoping to be back on my feet and hiking /hunting this Fall !!

Quote Originally Posted by huronmtns View Post
    Fill your tag as early as possible!
    I just love the U.P. !!
    I have spent lots of time up there !!

Depends who you are as some people like hunting with a band at camp and others like solitude. If you are the later I doubt you'll go crazy. Sleep, relax or whatever when you aren't packing.

I was telling a friend of my backpack hunt this fall. He has solo hunted in the past. He told me when you name the chipmunks and set snacks out for them and look forward to seeing them when you get back to camp. He said you need to pack up camp , Hike to the truck, go into town get a beer and burger then spend the night in a motel. Get up the next morning and head back up the mountain.

7-8 days is a long time solo in the mountains, but very rewarding. Whiskey and podcast keep me company.

Quote Originally Posted by LopeHunter View Post
    Books on Kindle to read if weathered inside a tent. Books on tape for long hikes where no bears, wolves or cougars though can leave one earbud out if like to roll the dice. iPod with music at night to fall asleep and as hike though see note re bears, wolves or cougars.

I use books on tape for long drives to/from hunts. The books vary from 4 hours to over 10 so can plan accordingly as line up books. I like the Jack Reacher, Lincoln Lawyer and Stone Barrington books for long drives. Helps the hours wash away in the rear view mirror.
    Ahhh, Stone Barrington. That guy is always bonking his lady clients....
    "Talk low, talk slow and don't say too much." John Wayne

I'm a reader, but also preload podcasts to listen to. Sometimes it feels good to hear somebody else's voice other than my own. My 3 go-to books for a multi-day trip are Sand County Almanac, Siddhartha, and As a Man Thinketh. All 3 are relatively small/light, but content heavy. Read a little, contemplate, read some more. Keeping my mind busy and occupied is a crucial aspect of solo trips.

Brainstorm Sharktank ideas
    "Oh, I'll never leave Montana, Brother." - Paul Maclean

I personally like silence and as much non-electronics related content as possible when solo in the woods. Usually my thoughts and observations are enough to get me through, but I usually bring one of those pocket New Testaments (that annoying people hand out on street corners), one or two books (I'm a slow reader), and polish my camp skills (fire starting, whittling, wood splitting, etc.).

The chipmunk idea is awesome as well.
    Squirrel!!!

Quote Originally Posted by netman View Post
    He told me when you name the chipmunks and set snacks out for them and look forward to seeing them when you get back to camp. He said you need to pack up camp.
    I am guilty of feeding them whilst glassing. They love almonds. Haven't gotten around to naming them

So I did a solo hunt last year for 7 days. I personally like to have somewhat of a routine. When you are in the backcountry without signal its nice to have some creature comforts. Don't get me wrong I like the peace and quite, its just 7 days can a long time without talking to anyone, and these help with that.

1. I like listening to the news, so at the time I had direct TV which allowed me to download items from my DVR to my phone/Ipad. So in the morning while getting ready and eating breakfast I listen to the news I had downloaded on IPad.
    2. While glassing if I want to break it up a little, I listen to Podcast or books from audible on my IPhone.
    3. Then at night I have a different movies downloaded on IPad and a few episodes of a TV show. I can watch throughout the week.

I did a base camp so I had my Truck there to charge my IPad/electronics if needed, but it lasted several days before needing a charge. I also have a solar powered portable charger so I was able to keep my charge up my phone during the day while glassing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast