Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Public Land arsonists get pardons

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/10/62765..._campaign=news

So just to summarize, you can both intentionally set fire to public lands in eastern OR and take them over with an armed militia. Those two things are okay to do. Make sure you're teaching your kids that.

Just make sure you have your pocket constitutions with you, they're like permits.
    Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell - E. Abbey

More empowerment for that side of things, dang.

Blog Entries

We should argue about religion instead of realizing that they're coming for our public lands like never before.
    get over it commies..
    JWP58

Unbelievable!

I’d say 3 & 4 years in prison and $400,000 is enough for them.

I don’t see this as something where they got off scott free.
    There wasn’t much to do. All the bowling alleys had been wrecked. So’s I spent most of my time looking for beer. - Bob MacKenzie, Strange Brew

Quote Originally Posted by belly-deep View Post

I agree that 3 & 4 years is hardly scott free, but a full Presidential pardon is kind of a slap in the face.
    What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. - Thomas Paine

I'm assuming you are familiar with the full case... that they lit the fire to allegedly cover-up poaching 7 deer. This was not the first time they had committed arson, the previous time they set fires on a slope, during a fire-ban with firefighters camping on the slope above. There were numerous complaints of them menacing/shooting at hunters on public lands adjacent to their ranch, and they threatened to frame a BLM employee if said person didn't terminate the investigation on the fire.

... not sure if 3-4 years and $400,000 is even close to enough

Interesting article. They should have served their minimal sentence for arson. Not a pardon I would support based on the NPR information shared.

Wllm, would you share where you gained the information that they lit the fire to conceal their poaching? My understanding is more a statement over their anti-government... I think your comment is a stretch though would be interested to read your source.
    Last edited by Sytes; 07-10-2018 at 11:11 AM.
    " There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." - Theodore Roosevelt
    Live to work or work to live... Your choice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wllm1313 View Post
    I'm assuming you are familiar with the full case... that they lit the fire to allegedly cover-up poaching 7 deer. This was not the first time they had committed arson, the previous time they set fires on a slope, during a fire-ban with firefighters camping on the slope above. There were numerous complaints of them menacing/shooting at hunters on public lands adjacent to their ranch, and they threatened to frame a BLM employee if said person didn't terminate the investigation on the fire.

... not sure if 3-4 years and $400,000 is even close to enough
    Convicted by a jury of their peers, and now, this president has just emboldened the same militias and fanatics that took over Malhuer to continue their fight. Somebody is going to get shot before this is over.
    get over it commies..
    JWP58

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Lamb View Post
    Convicted by a jury of their peers, and now, this president has just emboldened the same militias and fanatics that took over Malhuer to continue their fight. Somebody is going to get shot before this is over.
    Hasn't someone already been shot & killed? Oops, wrong standoff.
    God's trying to bless America, there's just too many people getting in the way.

Originally Posted by Ben Lamb
    This is a poem of anonymity and blood.

I approve. Well done.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Hasn't someone already been shot & killed? Oops, wrong standoff.
    Someone who isn't trying to throw down on LEO's.
    get over it commies..
    JWP58

Quote Originally Posted by Sytes View Post
    Interesting article. They should have served their minimal sentence for arson. Not a pardon I would support based on the NPR information shared.

Wllm, would you share where you gained the information that they lit the fire to conceal their poaching? My understanding is more a statement over their anti-government... I think your comment is a stretch though would be interested to read your source.
    2016 article~ https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3aaf87b2597a

I approve. Well done.

Someone who isn't trying to throw down on LEO's.
    I don't agree with that standoff or the actions of those LEO's. I wouldn't exactly call it a throw down either.

I approve. Well done.

Blog Entries

I don't agree with that standoff or the actions of those LEO's. I wouldn't exactly call it a throw down either.
    Dude had been parading around the occupation with guns, threatening to use them. He jumps out of the car, reaches for his vest, and the LEO's did what they felt was prudent.

You can't pretend to be a badass when your hiding behind others and flashing your piece, and then expect people to treat you like a kitten when you're actually confronted with the people who you've been antagonizing and threatening all week.

I think the Hammonds got a helluva sentence, and it could have been reduced and IIRC, th judge was forced to issue a harsh sentence under minimum sentencing guidelines, but this pardon tells all the Ammon's & LAVoy's out there that they're justified in their rebellion against the Republic, and they should continue the fight.

The Fed screwed up the prosecution, but that doesn't absolve those who seek to start a violent revolution in order to claim what's not their's.
    get over it commies..
    JWP58

Quote Originally Posted by Sytes View Post

It was part of the evidence given at their trial.

Name:  hamond.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  36.7 KB

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ct-rea...htmlstory.html

Thanks for sharing, Zach / Wllm - amazing arrogance if it was to cover up poached deer.

Found this of interest... Some seem enthralled to link the Bundy's with the Hammond's... true? False?

“I have received information that Ammon Bundy has communicated with you or your office about the Hammond Family,” W. Alan Schroeder, an attorney for the Hammonds, wrote to David M. Ward, Harney County’s sheriff, in December. “… I write to clarify that neither Ammon Bundy nor anyone within his group/organization speak for the Hammond Family.”
    Last edited by Sytes; 07-10-2018 at 11:37 AM.
    " There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." - Theodore Roosevelt

Only because at the time they thought the Bundy's were on the wrong side of the law and as any self-preservationist would do, tried to distance themselves. Only later, as we've all clearly learned in the last several years, did they get confirmation the Bundy's were completely justified and the Fed's were in the wrong.

I'm sure they'll do a sage brush tour soon enough. They'll probably even sign your pocket constitution.
    Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell - E. Abbey

Dude had been parading around the occupation with guns, threatening to use them. He jumps out of the car, reaches for his vest, and the LEO's did what they felt was prudent.

You can't pretend to be a badass when your hiding behind others and flashing your piece, and then expect people to treat you like a kitten when you're actually confronted with the people who you've been antagonizing and threatening all week.

I think the Hammonds got a helluva sentence, and it could have been reduced and IIRC, th judge was forced to issue a harsh sentence under minimum sentencing guidelines, but this pardon tells all the Ammon's & LAVoy's out there that they're justified in their rebellion against the Republic, and they should continue the fight.

The Fed screwed up the prosecution, but that doesn't absolve those who seek to start a violent revolution in order to claim what's not their's.
    ‘I Would Rather Die Than Be Caged’-Lavoy Finicum

Lavoy played a stupid game and won a stupid prize.

I suppose one could feel the sentence was too heavy handed, but when I hear of wildland arson my mind goes to Jared Oyler, a man currently on death row for purposefully lighting a wildland fire that resulted in the death of five firefighters.

Have no doubt, this will embolden the anti-public land crowd, and in turn, ratchet up the tension between those dopes and agency folks who manage and protect our public lands, who are already working in an environment that is getting more dangerous for them every day.
    “It is well to go all out sometimes.” - Elers Koch

Quote Originally Posted by neffa3 View Post
    Only because at the time they thought the Bundy's were on the wrong side of the law and as any self-preservationist would do, tried to distance themselves. Only later, as we've all clearly learned in the last several years, did they get confirmation the Bundy's were completely justified and the Fed's were in the wrong.

I'm sure they'll do a sage brush tour soon enough. They'll probably even sign your pocket constitution.
    Just to note, the statement of clarified distance from the Bundy clan was made after the appeal ordered the arson based sentencing and before Trump became President.

They should have had their sentences commuted then, not pardoned...which I would have been okay with.
    Four of a kind, 7x57, 284 winchester, 7 Remington Mag, 7 Mashburn.

Some thought charging them under Federal anti-terrorism law in order to get the elevated minimum sentence instead of more traditional criminal statutes was over the top. Even if Trump bought this argument, he should just have commuted their sentences to the 3-4 years already served. By going full pardon, they are now eligible to own firearms again, probably not a great thing given the history here.
    Freedom Is Not Free

Quote Originally Posted by VikingsGuy View Post
    Some thought charging them under Federal anti-terrorism law in order to get the elevated minimum sentence instead of more traditional criminal statutes was over the top. Even if Trump bought this argument, he should just have commuted their sentences to the 3-4 years already served. By going full pardon, they are now eligible to own firearms again, probably not a great thing given the history here.
    ^x2.
    Old Milwaukee Pro Staff

Pathetic. I would really like to know who brought this to the Presidents attention and convinced him to issue pardon and not commutation. Pure pandering to the hard core base.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mplane72 View Post
    Pathetic. I would really like to know who brought this to the Presidents attention and convinced him to issue pardon and not commutation. Pure pandering to the hard core base.
    Anti-public lands legislator Greg Walden is responsible for this. https://walden.house.gov/media-cente...hammond-pardon
    get over it commies..
    JWP58

I guess we can all see where you stand on this issue.
    When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.

Cree Prophecy

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast