Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Tired of Cold Hands

I use a pair of soft shell gloves topped with pile lined overmits. I have a set of Outdoor Research goretex ones. I'd rather have modular hand wear than a warm glove or mitten that doesn't dry fast. Been using the same setup for backcountry skiing for a number of decades. It's nice to have an extra pair of pile liners in the event one pair gets wet. Kind of like having an extra pair of socks.

If you know you'll be glassing for awhile I'd recommend bringing some chemical heat packs. They really do a good job. You can also put them in a pocket in one of your layers and it'll keep your body warm. Also, think about getting a tripod so you don't have to hold your binocs with 2 hands all the time. You can operate the binoc on the tripod with one hand and put the other hand in your pocket. When one hand gets cold you can swap out. A final step is to make sure your body is plenty warm. Once your body starts getting cold, it draws blood from the extremities to keep your vital organs warm. I ski a lot and dealt with painfully cold hands for years. Once I started wearing more layers it definitely got better. Just my .02

I have knuckle cut goves with a mitten cover that can be pulled back. Inside the mitten portion is a slot to slip hand warmers inside. I wear a thin pair of black diamond gloves so my fingers, when the mitten cover is off, still have some warmth and able to hold my rifle appropriately.

Edit added:
https://www.carhartt.com/products/TS-Flip-It-Glove-A557

View attachment 84501

These are the answer in most situations. Can get an over-sized mitten to go over this if frostbite is a risk. I have never felt the need for a second mitten and have been in -10F with 30mph winds where my feet got cold from standing but if I faced away from the wind everything else stayed warm.

I have knuckle cut goves with a mitten cover that can be pulled back. Inside the mitten portion is a slot to slip hand warmers inside. I wear a thin pair of black diamond gloves so my fingers, when the mitten cover is off, still have some warmth and able to hold my rifle appropriately.

Edit added:
https://www.carhartt.com/products/TS-Flip-It-Glove-A557

View attachment 84501

These have been working for me, past several years. I keep mittens & liners on hand also.

I get cold hands.
Early season I wear mechanix style synthetic gloves or light fleece.
Have several good hunting gloves that are insulated.Some are good,some are not.
If it is cold I will wear the mechanix gloves or fleece inside chopper mitts...or one of the Belgian wool mitts I have that have the flap over half fingers. These are very warm,but snug in the large choppers I have.
Gotta get some xxlarge choppers to fit over my FoxRiver wool mittens.They are the warmest mittens I have found & wear them when it gets really cold.

As others have said mittens>gloves. After many years of dealing with cold hands I discovered the cure several years ago. Keep the blood going into your hands warm and your hands will be warmer. That means keep your wrists warm. Instead of liner gloves make something like this.
wrist-warmers.jpg

The longer the better. I take a pair of socks and cut them to fit like this, they reach almost to my elbows. Thick wool socks for really cold weather, and cotton socks for something lighter. Put a chemical hand warmer between the sock and your wrist if you are still cold.

My favorite cold weather hand-wear is First Lite Talus Fingerless Merino Gloves (https://www.firstlite.com/talus-fingerless-merino-glove.html) + XXL Suse's Chopper Mits (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MP1PDD4). When out of the wind or when needing to use fingers I pull off the choppers, if things get cold on go the choppers, if really cold I throw some of those little hand warmer packs in the choppers.

Was -2 below tonight snowshoeing along North Shore MN and everything was toasty - but that's warm for up here. The system has also worked at -30 below a couple of years ago.

I wear standard Mechanix a lot when it's not real cold, I also have a cheap pair of cabelas wind blockers, or something like that, that I cut the fingers off. When its actually cold, I wear a pair of Gordini ski mittens. Mittens are certainly warmer than gloves, as a whole. Those Gordinis do the job down to around -10. I say that just because that's about as cold as I've used them in.

I also have some light weight Scott glo-mitts that I use sometimes, not in temps below about 25 or 30.

I work outside year round, so my hands get used to the cold to an extent, but when the temps really drop down, I wear a thin merino wool glove, then a pair of leather gloves to slip over them and sometimes add those disposable hand warmers.

I was in -3 today with the wind blowing 35 or so. First coyote stand was wool liner with fleece glommit. Did not do the trick. Next stand was much better with a wool liner and black diamond glove on top. But I love glommits. I’m going to order a pair of down mittens and wear those on top of my glommit until it’s time to shoot.

Does anyone use the naptha fuel catalytic heaters like the old Zippos? They are still sold (on Amazon), and they still work like a charm in oversized mittens. Perfect for coyote hunting, late season eastern/midwestern bowhunters,

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back