Thread: Llama Life

Default Llama Life

If you watched much of our content from last year you know we did two elk hunts with the use of llamas. A serious game changer. I think we have six llama hunts on the books for this season.

Our friends, Beau and Kirstin Baty, have started adding a lot more videos to their YouTube page. They have started an entire playlist called "Llama Life." That covers a lot about raising llamas, selecting them for breeding results, training, and a lot of interesting information that answer many questions people have of me regarding llamas.

If you are interested in llamas as a hunting pack animal, there is no person more informed than Beau. If you want to see some funny stuff that comes with raising llamas for a living, there is plenty of that, also.

Their channel link is here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCS...xEa0XuBiU-4vVg

Their first video is getting ready for one of their spring pack trips in Capitol Reef NP in southern Utah. As the seasons progresses, expect more backcountry and hunting-related videos.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run outta health before you run outta money."

Where I live in SE Colorado, Alpacas are damned near a dime a dozen. I wonder if they can be used like a llama.
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

Definitely following along.

I've always wanted a couple of llamas. I read up on them for packing years ago but have never had the place to keep them. A friend of a friend had a couple. He transported them in his van. They ducked in through the back door and laid down. One heck a lot easier than horses!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCushman View Post
    Where I live in SE Colorado, Alpacas are damned near a dime a dozen. I wonder if they can be used like a llama.
    I wouldn't use an alpaca. More frail, that's why they stick a llama in with them. I looked into alpaca ranching, wasn't for me.
    God's trying to bless America, there's just too many people getting in the way.

Originally Posted by Ben Lamb
    This is a poem of anonymity and blood.

I approve. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I wouldn't use an alpaca. More frail, that's why they stick a llama in with them. I looked into alpaca ranching, wasn't for me.
    Good info...thanks
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

I haven't watched any of the youtube videos. But ... how much does one Llama cost (roughly)?

It seems that (some) llamas are much easier to transport than horses. Who needs a trailer??

No one can go back and make a brand new start, however anyone can start from now and make a new ending.

Quote Originally Posted by kansasdad View Post
    It seems that (some) llamas are much easier to transport than horses. Who needs a trailer??

I wonder how many would fit in the back of a Nissan Titan?

I bet it would be like one of those old clown cars...they would just keep coming and coming lol
    And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul" - John Muir

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JMG View Post
    I haven't watched any of the youtube videos. But ... how much does one Llama cost (roughly)?
    From free to $10 K or so... sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you don't! Lots of people say to be wary of the free ones, my thoughts are the opposite. How can you bitch about getting screwed when it cost little/nothing? Try before you buy is always the best, and you are buying a llama not his papers, you may want to read that last part twice...

IMG_5388 by squirrel2012, on Flickr
    Bestowing wisdom and moral purity, even on the unworthy and unwilling... especially upon them.

An ignore list??? Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose?

Just rented a pair of llamas for week long elk hunt this fall, will be a learning experience if nothing else.