Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Woobie

fmnjr

Been reading about how wonderful the woobie is and all. Even read somewhere that it would suffice as an emergency shelter if caught in a mountain snow storm? Sounds kind of sketchy to me but I've never used one. Can it be used for that purpose safely?

Having slept in the comfort of an Army woobie (poncho liner) during two all-expense paid trips to VietNam almost fifty years ago, I can vouch for the snug feeling during hot or cool weather. I still use one in the camper as a cozy cover.

However, the woobie is not impervious to wet weather. Poncho with liner is warm and weather proof, especially during wet weather, but is heavier than I care to pack hiking and hunting mountains. There are many other lightweight emergency shelters designed for protection if "caught in a mountain snow storm".

Thanks for your service, Sir. Would you recommend some kind of bivy-type shelter then, instead of the woobie? I'd appreciate any mfr or trade names you could share.

I have a Kifaru Woobie and really like it a lot. It could probably work as an emergency shelter (especially if you rejuvenated the DWR), but I wouldn't use it as one. I always have a piece of Tyvek in my pack. I use it for laying meat out on while butchering but I make sure it is big enough so that I could use it as an emergency shelter as well. I then fold it up and vacuum seal it. It takes up almost no space and is very light. If I got caught in a snowstorm and had my woobie along, I'd want to use it as insulation, not a shelter.

Having slept in the comfort of an Army woobie (poncho liner) during two all-expense paid trips to VietNam almost fifty years ago, I can vouch for the snug feeling during hot or cool weather. I still use one in the camper as a cozy cover.

However, the woobie is not impervious to wet weather. Poncho with liner is warm and weather proof, especially during wet weather, but is heavier than I care to pack hiking and hunting mountains. There are many other lightweight emergency shelters designed for protection if "caught in a mountain snow storm".

Welcome home

Still have my woobie from the army, love it, wouldn't camp or hunt in cold weather without it. For as light and warm as it is it is just so convenient to take anywhere. 90% of the time I sleep on top of my sleeping bag and just use the woobie as a blanket. It is also nice to wrap yourself in it in a stand or glassing.

As far as an emergency shelter in a snow storm it would have to be cold enough to be a very dry snow. The woobie is not waterproof and the mil version just uses basically shoelaces that are sewed on as the tieouts to the poncho. I think overall it's too stretchy of a piece to hold up on strong winds. I would huddle up in it however especially used as a poncho liner your good to go.

Still have my woobie from the army, love it, wouldn't camp or hunt in cold weather without it. For as light and warm as it is it is just so convenient to take anywhere. 90% of the time I sleep on top of my sleeping bag and just use the woobie as a blanket. It is also nice to wrap yourself in it in a stand or glassing.

As far as an emergency shelter in a snow storm it would have to be cold enough to be a very dry snow. The woobie is not waterproof and the mil version just uses basically shoelaces that are sewed on as the tieouts to the poncho. I think overall it's too stretchy of a piece to hold up on strong winds. I would huddle up in it however especially used as a poncho liner your good to go.

I've read before how service folks sometimes keep their woobies.....that's a high testimony to them for sure. I don't need anymore convincing, it's on my list.

Welcome home from a fellow combat veteran. Desert Storm, Bosnia, and Iraq. The only reason I have what I have and the welcome I got coming home is because you guys got shit on. I'm sorry about that.

As for a woobie...I still have mine from active duty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back