Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hello from virginia new elk hunter

Hootowl

I wanted to introduce myself to everyone on the forum. I live in the beautiful blue ridge mountains of Virginia. I've been hunting since I was a kid and started out chasing squirrels and looking for those hickory trees. The years have gone bye and I've had many hunting experiences some years not so great and some years awesome. I would not trade them for anything. My biggest love has been whitetail deer hunting here in Va. but this year I decided to put in for a elk tag in Wyoming. I watched Randy's video on the Wyoming elk draw and how to increase my odds in the draw. I drew an elk tag on my first try to my amazement!! Since then I've watched a lot of Randy's videos and they have been most helpful. I've updated to Sitka gear and Crispi boots. The boots where on sale. I know randy is a kenetrek fan. lol. I have never been out west before and I'm looking forward to the experience. The only issue is no one else that I know here in Va. drew a tag and I almost backed out but then I told myself what the hell go for it!! I've decided to use a guide due to safety reasons for this trip. I'm a rookie and being 1900 miles and 29 hours from home is a big deal. I'm going to fly out also and that's going to be another first for me. I will probably ask for advice on here on the best way to freeze and package the meat so I can fly it back with me and it does make me nervous taking a firearm to the airport even if it's locked in a hard side case and I declare it to the airline as checked baggage. I'm hoping everything goes well and I have a experience of a lifetime. I'm hoping to make more trips out west in the future and gain experience on this trip, so I can cut down on the cost for the next one and hopefully some of my buddies will draw a tag also. looking forward to chatting with everyone on here. god bless .

I fkew out of dulles with my son and three guns last year. Smooth as silk. No one even acted surprised.

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have a good plan. Feel free to ask but there are some good threads on meat care etc. Just do some searches and you'll find a bunch.

Thanks vaspeedgoat. I will search around on here and see what I find on the meat and hopefully I get the same experience at the airport .

Welcome aboard and good luck with the hunt this fall! I'm from the Blacksburg area. If you search on here there are some great threads about flying with meat and guns. I've done it a few times and can help with suggestions if you need any.

Welcome, Also from Virginia (Edinburg/Shenandoah Valley). I've been out west 3 times now, but have always driven so won't be able to help much, probably a couple more trips out in the coming years if you ever want to share a road trip. (you will want to go again immediately after your trip is done)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back