Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

First Time Hunter - Idaho Speed Goat (40,41,42)

idaho_sand

Hey all,

Recently contracted the Adult Onset Hunting Disorder and decided to put in for Idaho Pronghorn down in 40 for archery and by some glitch in the matrix, I drew. The tag looks to include 40, 41, & 42. I have talked to a few people and they say that spot and stalk are not impossible but since I have no hunting experience and my stalking skills leave much to be desired, I planed on sitting on water with a blind. Did some research and I was looking at an area down by Cow Creek Rd in 40 and I have also heard that the area down by Bruneau has some good hunting. My question is, does anyone have any advise for a first timer on these areas and any gotchas I need to keep and eye out for.

Thanks

Wish I could help, I drew the early tag and have been looking at a lot of google earth and scratching my head on what I should do.

Welcome to HT. Spot and stalk is always possible...don't let anyone tell you any different. If you plan on sitting water, there's hundreds of other people planning to sit the same water too, so you always need a plan B, C, D....

When I lived in Boise, I bowhunted antelope in Units 41 and 42 every year. Plenty of antelope to go around and really fun hunting the different habitats down there, from the open sage to the juniper flats. I had success sitting water and spot and stalk, but much prefered spot and stalk as sitting in an blind (aka oven) all day in the blistering heat didn't appeal to me. I've also muzzleloader hunted Unit 41 for antelope with good success. Usually hunted ridge tops near water where I could glass long distances and when I saw antelope committing to water, I would sneak down to the water ahead of them and just hide in the willows. My last muzzleloader harvest occurred at a whopping 4 yards. Good luck!

I have hunted antelope in Idaho almost every year since 2001. The best way too learn is get out there and see where the concentrations of Antelope are. Than find the nearest water, like John said there is high demand for premium water holes. Also don't forget you can only put your blind out 10 days before the start of the season. I almost never get the early tag for some reason I was able too draw it this year. In the past I mostly used a decoy as they were rutting hard on the second archery season. I will most likely spot and stalk in some area's with more trees or I will sit a waterhole. Good luck,
Matt

Thanks for the reply's everyone. Decided to do a road trip this last week and found a group of about 20 does and not a single buck to be seen but they say follow the does and a buck will follow. The area I found has about a half dozen watering holes that I can see on google maps and I plan on doing some investigation on a good number of them. The area I found has lots of rolling hills but not much that you can hide in aside from some 2 ft high grass. I am excited to give this a swing and see what I can pull together.

@muley chaser Been watching a lot of youtube videos and I see some of the guys down south of Mtn Home by the snake and they have found quite a few good bucks down there.

Hey IDSand, I'm heading out this Friday to fill my tag that I drew in Ca. While I was out scouting, I spotted, w/ spotting scope, two groups of Pronghorn on the move. And as elkarchr says, I figured out their path and was able to close in on their location for a potential shot, albeit with a rifle. Most I saw were bucks. They are usually by themselves right now, although I did see some doe groups with a buck hanging around. Good Luck! Slim

Thanks Slim55

I went out as well and found a couple heards and a few watering holes along with some bedding areas. Will be picking up a blind shortly and counting down the days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back