Serious DIY elk hunters for all western states.

Hoytxl2009

As I’ve been told by my wife I’m not getting any younger. Just hit the dirty 30 a few days ago, but luckily my line of work and high energy keeps me up to par to chase elk in the nastiest places they like to frequent. Grew up in NE Oregon and currently live in Washington. Have hunted and chased elk since I was 12.

My preparation and research for a hunt can be extensive and annoy the hell out of my wife. I spend a lot of time on GoHunt and fish and game websites researching and learning as much as I can. I have bought and acquired a lot of ranger district maps for most areas I’m interested in. Most of them are $5 a piece. I do both archery and rifle. Recently I have been getting things geared up to apply and cordinate a lot of western hunts including WY,MT,NV,UT,NM,and AZ. I Already hunt WA,OR, and ID a lot and play there point game. I have 1 point for WY currently. Currently I’m trying to draw a Unit 18 ID tag and do OTC if not selected.

My style of elk hunting is unorthodox, but aggressive. I don’t do a lot of hunting near a pickup, but will if the pressure is low and elk are around, but I still prefer extended overnights trips. I have bought and sold a lot of gear finding the right nich that fits my hunting style. I’m either mobile with a 35lb pack or heavy with a 50lb pack when I’m spiking out. The heavy hunt I always have my SO stove and JT floorless TP. I’m either glassing when Rifle is in hand or calling and moving fast when bow is in hand.

The problem with most my hunting partners is not that they don’t like to hunt. They just don’t seem into as much as myself. That includes all the E scouting, reasearch, application process, planning, backup planning, etc. I’ve grown tired of doing all the research necessary then last minute everyone pilling in the truck and I’m the only one that has a plan. My next issue is they don’t want to spend the money or time on the gear required for these style of hunts and generally are miserable after the first night and want to return to the truck. These styles I feel just throw a wrench in my attitude, and plans. This also subsequently throws all my summer planning out the window. A lot of that time is taken away from my family for nothing.

Finding people that are interested in this the same as myself has proven to be very difficult. Which I never thought would be difficult. In my experience so far most guys can talk the talk, but not walk the walk. I run into guys on the river every year fishing that seem interested, but after chatting further you find out they are only interested In learning about it or just getting started at it. Which is Great! And I have no problem teaching, but having a hunting group that is already in tune with this is invaluable. There are a lot of things that I can learn and become better on, but will never achieve those goals with guys that are just getting into the backcountry game or are interested in learning about it. I got nothing wrong with road camps and hunting behind a different gate every morning. Those guys probably kill more critters then me every year anyway, but its just not the style that I have a addiction to.

I’m interested in chatting with a few of you gents that have a group already with a open slot, or a Lone Ranger struggling similar to myself that is already in tune with the things I described above. PM me and lets see if the shoe fits. I’m able to take almost a month off in the fall. So typically I would do 2 weeks in September and 2 in October. Ultimate goal in 3 states a year and all necessary planning involved. If I don’t draw anything special Idaho and Oregon are on my list every year. By next year WY will be a every other if I can draw the general special draw consistently.

Best Regard Gents! Looking forward to hearing from a few of you.

I have the same issues as you only with duck hunting. After opening weekend nobody wants to get up at 3 and brave the cold weather so I go solo most of the time. I live in eastern WA and this will be my second elk hunt and first time using a bow. I was curious about your SO stove. I have been looking into their gear and I'm considering getting one or would you recommend another brand.

I have the same issues as you only with duck hunting. After opening weekend nobody wants to get up at 3 and brave the cold weather so I go solo most of the time. I live in eastern WA and this will be my second elk hunt and first time using a bow. I was curious about your SO stove. I have been looking into their gear and I'm considering getting one or would you recommend another brand.

It's treated me really well I have no complaints, but I also don't have much experience with there competitors. I was thinking after this year I will try TIGoat and see how well they perform. I don't have much experience with SO tents, but have heard nothing other then great things.

I find it interesting that hitting the BIG 30 is making you kick your elk hunting into high gear because "you're not getting any younger". You've got a lot of good elk hunting years ahead of you.
Me being 56 years old, I must have one foot in the grave already. :rolleyes:
Hope you find some suitable hunting partners.

I find it interesting that hitting the BIG 30 is making you kick your elk hunting into high gear because "you're not getting any younger". You've got a lot of good elk hunting years ahead of you.
Me being 56 years old, I must have one foot in the grave already. :rolleyes:
Hope you find some suitable hunting partners.

I wouldn't say my elk hunting is hitting just now hitting high gear. I'm simply looking to explore more states and find some like minded individuals.

As far as being 30 yeah I could say I'm looking at this sideways, but I can definitely notice the qaurters on a elk seem a bit heavier then they did when I was 20. Maybe I'm just crazy.

As far as being 30 yeah I could say I'm looking at this sideways, but I can definitely notice the qaurters on a elk seem a bit heavier then they did when I was 20. Maybe I'm just crazy.
Wait till your 50. mtmuley

I feel you. I’ve had the same trouble with hunting partners... I think mine is a bit different though - I’ve tried to stick to people who are on the same level as me... as in still learning. Problem is most of the late 20s/early 30s guys are either fairly skilled already(and having me along might be a detriment) or want to learn/are learning and it’s just not a serious thing for them. They’re happy to get outside for a week and that’s that.

I’ve just accepted the fact that I’ll likely be hunting solo for the foreseeable future. I don’t mean for that to sound like a depressing thing - it’s actually refreshing. Don’t have to wait on anyone to get ready, you can move when you want to move and sit when you want to sit. Sure, it gets a little lonely sometimes but it’s a small price to pay to have the freedom of doing your own thing.

I am solo hunting bull elk with my bow next month and I will turn 69 on the hunt. I usually have my buddies but not this year. You have a lot of years ahead of you. Hope you find a good partner or two.

Did you ever find a partner? How was your season?
Nope I never did, but still am chatting with some people a]bout this next season! It’s getting to be that time of year again.

This year looks to be Oregon, Idaho, and Colorado on the list. May rifle Idaho to save room in September for the other two, but squeezing 3 states in September would be pretty awesome!

Nope I never did, but still am chatting with some people a]bout this next season! It’s getting to be that time of year again.

This year looks to be Oregon, Idaho, and Colorado on the list. May rifle Idaho to save room in September for the other two, but squeezing 3 states in September would be pretty awesome!

Your PM's are full.

Cleared a bunch out should be good now. Thank you! Didn’t know they could fill up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back