Vortex 15-45x65 HD and spotting scope questions

JWhunter

I am looking at buying a vortex viper 15-45x65 my biggest concern is how good will this scope be for field judging? I drew a really exclusive deer tag and a pretty good bull tag. I think it will do fine on the elk hunt but, I am just curious on how far out you think a guy could effectively field judge a mule deer buck with 15-45x65 spotting scope. I am in college and don't have a ton of money to blow I am trying to stay under $800 which I know is not a lot.

I am in the market for a scope. After reading a lot of reviews, I would go a different route. Vortex spotters didn't get consistent high marks. If you're only hunting for a week or 2 a year right now, you can rent high quality glass for about $20 a day, and save up for purchasing something nice down the road. To answer your question, a 15-45 is plenty if the glass is decent. Most sporting scopes under $1000 get blurry after 40x anyways. You'll use 20-30x 90% of the time

The magnification is sufficient, but I would focus more on the quality of glass.

Check craigslist, here in montana there are almost always quite a few higher end scopes on there for under 800 and they usually move pretty slow. Currently there is a zeiss on there right now for a 1000, which isn't bad considering it is a 2500 scope. I thought pretty hard on it for my limited draw elk tag this year but decided I need a new pack worse. The vortex is nice, but you can probably do better used or get a better deal on a lightly used razor.

I am in the market for a scope. After reading a lot of reviews, I would go a different route. Vortex spotters didn't get consistent high marks. If you're only hunting for a week or 2 a year right now, you can rent high quality glass for about $20 a day, and save up for purchasing something nice down the road. To answer your question, a 15-45 is plenty if the glass is decent. Most sporting scopes under $1000 get blurry after 40x anyways. You'll use 20-30x 90% of the time

Where can you rent spotters?

There's a fella in the classified that just listed that vortex spotter with a cover for $500. You might want to check it out. I have the razor 11 x 33 x 50 and really like it. I also have the swarovski 20x60 and have been carrying it the last couple years instead cause I've needed the Xtra magnification as I get older, just turned 50. I rarely turn it past 45x.

I am looking at buying a vortex viper 15-45x65 my biggest concern is how good will this scope be for field judging? I drew a really exclusive deer tag and a pretty good bull tag. I think it will do fine on the elk hunt but, I am just curious on how far out you think a guy could effectively field judge a mule deer buck with 15-45x65 spotting scope. I am in college and don't have a ton of money to blow I am trying to stay under $800 which I know is not a lot.

I have the Vortex you speak of. Circumstances dictated I bought what I didn't want. My fault. Don't make the mistake I did. Wait a year or two and get good glass. mtmuley

I have the Vortex you speak of. Circumstances dictated I bought what I didn't want. My fault. Don't make the mistake I did. Wait a year or two and get good glass. mtmuley

Took the words off my keyboard, except I have the 80mm. It is without a doubt the only piece of hunting gear that disappoints me most every time I use it....

Don’t waste your time & money on cheap optics. Save until you can buy high end. Hunt with the high end and enjoy life. I have never read a negative post from anyone who bought and used high end optics. Life is too short. I utilize Swaro & Zeiss but there are other great high end brands also. My $.02.

I just sold a 15-45 viper hd yesterday. For the money it is not a bad option, however its biggest draw back would be its size and weight. I spent hours comparing it to the razor's and my eyes cannot see a difference in glass quality. I also have a swarovski sts 65, for comparison... yes there is a difference, but it all depends on what you need.

Another option - The resale value of optics stays pretty constant. Look around for a good deal on whatever you want/need. Take good care of it for the season and you will likely be able to sale it and recoup all your money back. Vortex and leupold are no-brainers on warranty, so resale value stays very stable. Swarovski requires you to unregister an item before a new owner can register it, so be aware of that, but they hold there value very well.

X3.

It's ok glass, and if you have young eyes, you may be okay, but holding out for better glass is not a bad idea at all.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back