Would you hunt with these handholds?

Love the comment about seating accubonds .070 off the lands. Wonder if they seat their factory ammo like that. Barn's says something about seating their TTSX something like .050 off the lands. Both of these company's sell factory ammo, wonder how they seat their factory stuff? Bet they seat it to SAMMI spec's so it will fit the magazine of every rifle they use in it!

Those groups are beautiful for a hunting rifle, better than needed I suspect. I have to get 1" from my hunting rifle even though my 30-06 isn't quite there, take it the way it is. But once I do get to 1" I still try for better, guess I'm looking for the bench rest rifle on a hunting frame too! No farther than I shoot at game about 99% of the time, a 2" group would be more than enough. But I do have a couple 1/2" rifles! They are necessary for my ego!! :)

Love the comment about seating accubonds .070 off the lands. Wonder if they seat their factory ammo like that. Barn's says something about seating their TTSX something like .050 off the lands. Both of these company's sell factory ammo, wonder how they seat their factory stuff? Bet they seat it to SAMMI spec's so it will fit the magazine of every rifle they use in it!

I agree with this a lot. I understand we can find th lands an such, but its a hunting rifle and I will build them to shoot and be able to fit in the factory magazine. I hope I dont need to shoot all three but by loading them to fit the magazine it gives me two extra shots instead of having to load the rifle one cartridge at a time. I will continue to tinker with the loads I posted yesterday. I tried RL-17 this morning and it shot 3/4" and should produce more veloctiy than the H4350.

You say "tid bit shorter", I question this cause normally I am not struggling this badly to get a rifle to shoot hah, and I have only ever used the recommened COAL. These were shot at 2.77", do you go 0.02" shorter or what would you recommend?

I agree with this a lot. I understand we can find th lands an such, but its a hunting rifle and I will build them to shoot and be able to fit in the factory magazine. I hope I dont need to shoot all three but by loading them to fit the magazine it gives me two extra shots instead of having to load the rifle one cartridge at a time. I will continue to tinker with the loads I posted yesterday. I tried RL-17 this morning and it shot 3/4" and should produce more veloctiy than the H4350.

You would be surprised if you measured it out. You said you were loading 2.77, .070 off the lands for my rifle is 2.730 OAL with the 140 Accubond. SAMMI Spec is 2.825 in (71.8 mm) OAL. Yes, it is a hunting rifle but you could be leaving accuracy on the table and still have them fit in your magazine with out an issue.

I didnt give enough detail that 2.77 is what Nosler version 8.3(online version)said they tested their loads at, they give their tested lenght and an SAMMI COAL. I have not measured to the lands so I cannot tell you how far off the lands my loads are. I went by the manual due to the fact that it will in fact fit my magazine. I do understand that by playing with seating depth you can achieve accuracy whether you seat them long or short. And seating it shorter is something I will tinker with over then next few weeks.

When you try different primers, don't be afraid to try magnum primers. I'm using magnum primers in my 7-08 loads with 120 and 140 grain bullets.

Be sure to let us know how the seating depth testing goes. Also don't worry about seating them a little deeper. It won't raise your load to much. Your under max charges anyway.

Hey Don...were you being a pompous douche with the comment about accubond seating, or do you really like the comment and believe it is worthwhile? It's funny when Nosler can tell people to do it and try it, but you seem to think otherwise and seem to be putting people down for saying it. Is it from personal experience and expertise?

Be sure to let us know how the seating depth testing goes. Also don't worry about seating them a little deeper. It won't raise your load to much. Your under max charges anyway.

Shot one group of 2.76 and 2.75" the 2.75" had two touching the other was an inch low, coulda been me as well.

I am not trying to insult your capability as a shooter but do you believe some of it could be you? I catch myself every once in a while not squeezing and following through on a shot usually resulting in a flier. Just some food for thought. I have always shot cci primers, maybe throw a batch together with a different primer.

Keep testing a bit more. You will get there bud! The RL 17 sounds promising also. Test seating depth with that load also.

Are you shooting from a bench? Bipod? Leadsled?

Again, I have not loaded for 6.5 CM, but in 7-08 the best groups I could get with 140grn Accubonds was about an inch. It was pretty fast though.

I am not trying to insult your capability as a shooter but do you believe some of it could be you? I catch myself every once in a while not squeezing and following through on a shot usually resulting in a flier. Just some food for thought. I have always shot cci primers, maybe throw a batch together with a different primer.

I totally get that and also often wonder if its me, only way to know is to keep shooting I suppose. Most of these load I have felt I have been rock solid while at the bench.

Keep testing a bit more. You will get there bud! The RL 17 sounds promising also. Test seating depth with that load also.

Are you shooting from a bench? Bipod? Leadsled?

From a bench with rear and front sandbags.

Try using a 5 shot group instead of 3. You might be having a good group when you say you have shots touch, and the flyer might be you. With 5 shots you get a better idea of your group and allow for a flyer, which will then be obvious.

Be sure your front sling stud isn't contacting the front bag on recoil. Your groups are pretty good especially for a lightweight gun.

most people forget that big game animals do not have 1 MOA vitals and they can always stalk closer. Hunting is about hunting, not shooting. Competitions are about shooting. I was doing that all day today. Great fun, but that's not what hunting is about.

Well, seeing as how I've never killed an animal.with my bare hands, I'd have to say that hunting and shooting kinda go hand in hand. I'm a little confused by your post

Well, seeing as how I've never killed an animal.with my bare hands, I'd have to say that hunting and shooting kinda go hand in hand. I'm a little confused by your post

Agreed, I’ve never heard anyone say: I really am content with a OK accurate rifle when I’m hunting but not when I’m shooting targets. Which is how his some of these post could be interpreted. To me they are one in the same. I’ve made a bad shot before from being complacent on practicing with my rifle and have no intentions of doing it again. If the OP’s groups don’t get any better, than hunt it, and know what your limitations are. Seeing he is already hand loading than he has nothing to loose by chasing a tiny hole on paper before he goes afield. It will only create more confidence in his weapon and abilities.

Last edited:
It's good to know your options

Personally my approach has been to chase the best accuracy (via seating depth) whether it fits in the mag or not. That way I have all the data and can make an informed decision about which load to adopt.

If a load is a lot (only you can decide what "a lot" means) more accurate but doesn't fit the mag I might consider single loading. Or if the POI is similar for the loads I might load the mag up with a shorter load for close in/quick shots, but keep a single feed load on hand for a longer shot when I have more time to setup.

In any case I think it's good to explore during load testing so you at least know what your options are.

As long as you can be sure of hitting your target at your self imposed distance there is no reason not to use your handloads.

Yes but I have to ask. Did you only shoot the load you settled on once or verify by shooting it on two or three different days? Sometimes it’s interesting to shoot same load at the same target for “x” days just to see if it holds up. That same load may shoot 1/4 moa tomorrow. We all like to experiment but after we settle on a load it’s good to verify by whatever meets your criteria. Some people I know shoot one shot every day at same target for 5 days instead of a 5 shot group in one day. Some shoot three 5 shots groups same day. Whatever you are confident in will work for you.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back