Yeti GOBOX Collection

Would you hunt with these handholds?

I increase by half grain increments. I have to go by the manual OAL as the magazine restricts me on length.

I would bracket this load by 0.25 increments and see what they do.

I.e 44.25, 44.5, 44.75 hypothetical charge weights.

Here is a seating test done on my 6.5 Creedmoor. Measurements are jump from the lands. At .065 it started tightening ( had a bad case that closed hard causing a flyer). And started growing at .075. With .070 giving the best group which measures .650 edge to edge at 100 yards. Hope that helps.

C06012B9-AC1A-4B1D-A392-DCE1FC7E0076.jpg

Don't have a 6.5 Manbun but when working on a load for my 7-08 I did find the Accubonds shot a little better with a little jump. I'd have to look at notes but I believe I settled on 2.77 as being most accurate, all else being equal.

Addicting-so by seating deeper just watch for pressure then?

Itty bitty groups are cool, but I'll guarantee you I killed a ton of critters in my younger years with rifles that didn't come close to the accuracy you have. Just sayin. mtmuley

Itty bitty groups are cool, but I'll guarantee you I killed a ton of critters in my younger years with rifles that didn't come close to the accuracy you have. Just sayin. mtmuley

Small groups are cool-I agree with that. Knowing how much you like the accubond, would you suggest seating them a bit deeper than what the nosler manual recommends?

Addicting-so by seating deeper just watch for pressure then?

41g is the max load published in the Nosler book and I saw no signs of pressure. I am very happy with my groups with that recipe.

Last edited:

You are correct, but if he is already hand loading why not keep tinkering to see what the rifle will do. In the long run he is just building confidence with the rifle.

Small groups are cool-I agree with that. Knowing how much you like the accubond, would you suggest seating them a bit deeper than what the nosler manual recommends?
"Every rifle is different". That's a given. I've never paid attention to any "recommendations" regarding seating depth of any bullet for my rifles. What my rifle likes, yours might not. mtmuley

....fess up, you wouldn't hunt with those groups now. The longer one handloads, the wackier one gets...tsb.

Nosler 7 shows 43 as max charge.

As you seat deeper, your pressure will more than likely rise, and you may have to knock the charge down a bit. If this is an AR, pressure signs won't be as obvious as on a bolt gun. Just have to be a little more aware as you seat deeper. O notice it in the recoil and on the chronograph on my ARs when I'm pushing the limits.

Why would you NOT hunt with that load? What's wrong with it?

Because most people that handload these days are obsessed with 1/2" groups. I am as guilty as anyone. We forget that a factory hunting rifle that shoots 1" groups is pretty darn good.

Because most people that handload these days are obsessed with 1/2" groups. I am as guilty as anyone. We forget that a factory hunting rifle that shoots 1" groups is pretty darn good.

most people forget that big game animals do not have 1 MOA vitals and they can always stalk closer. Hunting is about hunting, not shooting. Competitions are about shooting. I was doing that all day today. Great fun, but that's not what hunting is about.

Golfer
Have you measured the OAL of your magazine? It might be longer than what Nosler recommends.
I would load up some test rounds at 2.72,2.67,2.62,2.57 and test them. Also if your magazine allows I would test 2.82 and 2.87.

I would practice with that load, chronograph every time out and get to know it inside and out.

Yes, I would hunt with it.

Don't get lost in chasing the smallest group possible and give up time getting to know your rifle/load.

-Dustin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back