Life after a Heart Attac / Surgery

MT.PERCHMAN

Hello everybody!
I wouldn't think I would ever post such a post !
On May 25 th. I went to the ER with bad chest pains . Dr. tells me your in good health we should be able to do a Heart Cath and put in a stent if needed .
Well it turns out I have a left main artery is 95 % blocked , I'm in total awe ..I'm 54 in fantastic health and my Heart is going down . Dr. told me it was good I came in , I was Very Close to Hunting in the Heavens .

So I need some help from you guys . How long is recovery Approximately ? I know it's up to the Dr. But just wondering when I can go shooting again ? Any thoughts from guys like my self ?
It's amazing my wife and I were Spring Bear Hunting not to long ago and then this . What a eye opener for me and my family .
Thanks Guys for any help !!

A drive by from the grim reaper will change your life. Every day after dawns brighter and means more.

Glad that you were in good shape, might have made the difference in your outcome.

"Bad genes"/diet/physical activity/stress management/diabetes issues/chronic inflammation (including periodontal disease)/environmental exposures will all battle it out for causations. Manage each of these as best you can.

Through it all, remember that no doctor will care as much as you do in the rehab and strength rebuilding. I presume that you will be on blood thinners for some time. Life savers when used appropriately. And just because the doctor says so, does not necessarily make it "so". It is ok and necessary to ask questions, challenge assumptions and be skeptical of accepted standards of care. You are unique, and not the "average" patient.

I wish you a full recovery, and never to be a patient on a cath lab table again.

Thank God you went in to get checked. What was the surgery, stent or more invasive? I see why your want to sell the 6.5x300 now. Even with a break on it you might have to wait to shoot it comfortably. So far I have no experience with this type of situation and hope I never will (knock on wood). It's no doubt a life changer. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. What part of the state are you in?

Dan

Glad you made it. I’ve had a couple of scares, but test show I have a healthy heart, just high BP. If you go on BP meds, you probably won’t feel like yourself for a few weeks. Diet might be an important thing to examine. Also, avoid pull start motors. They often trigger a heart attack.
Best of luck and keep us updated. Many of us are getting older. The info you pass might save a life.

I had one 3 yrs ago,no damage.Luck.
Kansasdads advice gold.
I am only taking baby aspirin & drinking lots of water now. The meds made me feel like I just had an attack.No energy,fatigued,dizzy.....tired constantly. Asked the doc to check meds so I could feel better,OK he said,never happened. Have not been back to see him in over a year...
Well,I did something.Research. Took it easy. Talked to folks I know who are either in med field or knowledge of HA. Recovering as best I can. Not 30 any more.....
I can hike,work(pacing myself),live. Got a dog. Still drink tons of water,which I always did. Check the pressure daily. My days of packing an elk out solo are limited,yeah.... I have options .

A drive by from the grim reaper will change your life. Every day after dawns brighter and means more.

Glad that you were in good shape, might have made the difference in your outcome.

"Bad genes"/diet/physical activity/stress management/diabetes issues/chronic inflammation (including periodontal disease)/environmental exposures will all battle it out for causations. Manage each of these as best you can.

Through it all, remember that no doctor will care as much as you do in the rehab and strength rebuilding. I presume that you will be on blood thinners for some time. Life savers when used appropriately. And just because the doctor says so, does not necessarily make it "so". It is ok and necessary to ask questions, challenge assumptions and be skeptical of accepted standards of care. You are unique, and not the "average" patient.

I wish you a full recovery, and never to be a patient on a cath lab table again.

Thank You for the Great Response !
I'm working on my health and better life as we speak !
Game changer ..you bet my friend !

Glad you made it. I’ve had a couple of scares, but test show I have a healthy heart, just high BP. If you go on BP meds, you probably won’t feel like yourself for a few weeks. Diet might be an important thing to examine. Also, avoid pull start motors. They often trigger a heart attack.
Best of luck and keep us updated. Many of us are getting older. The info you pass might save a life.

Yes on meds now . First check up next week . I'm on some pain meds also but I'm not to happy about it . I'm not getting hooked on anything but my life and Family !
Time will tell with me . The Cartaoligist wants to spend some one on one time to try to help figure this out . I'm on board with anything to help others !

I had one 3 yrs ago,no damage.Luck.
Kansasdads advice gold.
I am only taking baby aspirin & drinking lots of water now. The meds made me feel like I just had an attack.No energy,fatigued,dizzy.....tired constantly. Asked the doc to check meds so I could feel better,OK he said,never happened. Have not been back to see him in over a year...
Well,I did something.Research. Took it easy. Talked to folks I know who are either in med field or knowledge of HA. Recovering as best I can. Not 30 any more.....
I can hike,work(pacing myself),live. Got a dog. Still drink tons of water,which I always did. Check the pressure daily. My days of packing an elk out solo are limited,yeah.... I have options .

I'm lucky to have my family helping me every step of the way . One daughter is a Xray tech and the other is almost a full Pharmacist!! She is a drug expert !!

Thank God you went in to get checked. What was the surgery, stent or more invasive? I see why your want to sell the 6.5x300 now. Even with a break on it you might have to wait to shoot it comfortably. So far I have no experience with this type of situation and hope I never will (knock on wood). It's no doubt a life changer. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. What part of the state are you in?

Dan

Dan I'm just up the Road from you !
Kalispell , I'm just Amazed at the Dr.'s and all the Staff at the Hospital I will never be able to thank them enough for what they did to save my Life !!

My buddies dad had an attack on a training hike and got airlifted.
Went stone sheep hunting to finish his slam the next year. Be smart and diligent and you'll be back out there better than when you were 95% blocked

My buddies dad had an attack on a training hike and got airlifted.
Went stone sheep hunting to finish his slam the next year. Be smart and diligent and you'll be back out there better than when you were 95% blocked

Thanks !
I'm taking it day by day right now . I had my Surgery on the 28 th of June and I feel better a little bit every day!

Well first check up on Thursday !
I'm down from 215 the day I went in to this morning 200.3 .
The food I'm getting must be working. It's not to bad tasting .
I'm looking at Light weight mountain rifle in maybe 243 or 6.5 to use this fall for some whitetail for the freezer . I'm loaded up with big magnums so that dont help me . I looking and there seems to be lots of options .
Well thanks for looking !

I got a stent Nov. 2005, no heart damage. I suppose everyone is different, but I went deer hunting 5 days after I got out of the hospital. Keep a close eye on the meds, they had me on a couple that didn't get
along with each other, 9 months later my liver functions were sky high, fever, chills, couldn't get out of bed. Straightened that crap out and everything was fine. I pretty much just continued doing things the way
I always did. I'm hoping things go the same for you.

First I want to say that I'm glad you're doing well and moving forward with this mysterious journey called life.
Diet - I've had enormous success both professionally with athletes and clients as well as personally with a diet app called Fit Genie
https://www.fitgenieapp.com/

Rehab - There's a lot of conflicting advice as far as recovery and rehab for cardiac patients.
I feel this is an excellent read
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1484533/

I wish you further good luck

I’m glad your here to tell your story. I had a messy heart attack a little over a year ago while racing bicycles in a 100 mile race.
I got some stints for my troubles. I too was in really good shape however I had a stressful job for nearly 30 years prior to the heart attack.
My advice for you is to take your time and be in no hurry whatsoever. Don’t rush back into anything.
Listen to your body and take it easy. Your body went through a lot.
Again glad you made it through.

Glad to hear things are going good for you. A little more incentive to get out and do as much hunting with the time we have.
Makes me wonder what good it does to exercise, try and eat right and try to keep myself in good shape if the grim reaper might just decide to do a drive by at any time.:confused:

I got a stent Nov. 2005, no heart damage. I suppose everyone is different, but I went deer hunting 5 days after I got out of the hospital. Keep a close eye on the meds, they had me on a couple that didn't get
along with each other, 9 months later my liver functions were sky high, fever, chills, couldn't get out of bed. Straightened that crap out and everything was fine. I pretty much just continued doing things the way
I always did. I'm hoping things go the same for you.

I will be watching the meds very close . I just picked up my second script of pain meds . I started to ween my self down from two every six hrs to just 1 but had a bad night last night lots of pain . I must be to soon . There is no way I'm going to get hooked on that crap , so I made my move but just to soon. . I'm having a so so day today . Seem very tired and as little more pain . It's just the healing part . Dr. Told me I would feel great and then get hit with pain and I would feel tired . He was right .
I'm still moving forward every day, I'm just a tough person.
Thank you for posting !!

I’m glad your here to tell your story. I had a messy heart attack a little over a year ago while racing bicycles in a 100 mile race.
I got some stints for my troubles. I too was in really good shape however I had a stressful job for nearly 30 years prior to the heart attack.
My advice for you is to take your time and be in no hurry whatsoever. Don’t rush back into anything.
Listen to your body and take it easy. Your body went through a lot.
Again glad you made it through.

It's amazing we can be so full of energy and then things turn so fast . My body was telling me a thing or two today . It's tough to think of this long healing process but it's the way it is and I'm ok with it .
Thank you for your post !

Glad to hear things are going good for you. A little more incentive to get out and do as much hunting with the time we have.
Makes me wonder what good it does to exercise, try and eat right and try to keep myself in good shape if the grim reaper might just decide to do a drive by at any time.:confused:

I guess we can worry about things to much and to little , I'm taking advantage of my second chance that's for sure !
I'm on the diet and light duty exercise. Thursday is my first Dr.visit since the Surgery so I'm excited to hear the news !
Thank You !

First I want to say that I'm glad you're doing well and moving forward with this mysterious journey called life.
Diet - I've had enormous success both professionally with athletes and clients as well as personally with a diet app called Fit Genie
https://www.fitgenieapp.com/

Rehab - There's a lot of conflicting advice as far as recovery and rehab for cardiac patients.
I feel this is an excellent read
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1484533/

I wish you further good luck

Thank you for the links ..I have lots of time to check them out ! The diet I'm on right now is good so far , I miss a few things but it's not that bad . We have been doing lots of research on food it's almost scary on some of the products we eat .
Thanks again !!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back