No more fox skin

Coyotes-R-Us

I had read that using real fur for a decoy rather then a picture .

I have been having a dry spell getting the coyotes to come in under 500 yards. I have been using a fox pelt over our fox pro for quite some time with diminishing effect.

Today I went out to our old river brakes area to do some early morning calling. I got out there shortly after sun up.

Very first place I got on to BLM land I hid the truck and made a set. Bang had 4 coyotes pop up over a ridge at like 800 yards. They charged in to around 500 and stopped and set down. I messed with them for an hour and, they never made a move and I let a hail marry shot go and ran them off...I had the fox skin as normal.

Next spot I left it in the truck ,and used Kugo, the Montana coyote decoy .

Bang same thing , 3 coyotes popped up and started in.

But this time they kept coming. That is till the got distracted probably by a mouse or something. I could see they where pups, when they lost a little interest I would hit a coyote howl and get them back on tract. It took a long time but they got in to my comfort zone. I barked to stop them, but the just kept milling around and would not stand still, soon they got "Under" me and I could not see them. One gave me a shot at about 150 and I took it.
101_3164.jpg

You would think it would be easy to find, Nope tall grass and grand stands of sage made it difficult .
The next 3 set where the same multiple pups coming in in there good old time. They all slipped in but would give me a shot.

101_3165.jpg

101_3166.jpg

101_3167.jpg

AND only one of these

6th_july_1.jpg

Just a bull snake

nice work on the yotes. Have you ever had success with the mechanical decoys like the mojo critter?

Not really.
Tried one a few times ,It did not seam to help.
I use ALL coyote sounds , no pry sounds so I don't think it fits.
A silhouette of a coyote seams to be the best for where and how I call.

I just started using a coyote decoy last year and had negative effects actually as soon as they broke from the cover and saw it they hightailed back. The wind was on my face not sure if I should try it again?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back