Caribou Gear

Heavy weight ideas for training hikes

if you listen to podcasts "the hunt backcountry" podcast #132 "how to hike heavy" is good listen

I would also recommend the podcast. The science behind "heavy rucking" was pretty impressive compared to running if you are trying to save your joints. After listening I have decided to change up my routine to a day of heavy rucking on an inclined treadmill.

Best thing I like about using water for this purpose is that it's cheap and if I need to get rid of it during a hike it's a no harm/no foul type of affair.

I don't agree with this, because when you get in the field if you have not trained going downhill with weight you all the sudden throw 100 pounds and give it a go on rough terrain you are more apt to get injured. Building your muscles, ligaments, and bones slowly by using lower weight to heavy weight will make you more ready for the pack out.

I completely and wholeheartedly agree with Cody!
In training specificity is king.
The closer you can get to the actual activity you're training for the better.
Neuromuscular motor patterns are absolutely specific to activity.

I completely and wholeheartedly agree with Cody!
In training specificity is king.
The closer you can get to the actual activity you're training for the better.
Neuromuscular motor patterns are absolutely specific to activity.

Haha I disagree with both of you - just because you can, doesn't mean you should all of the time. Use a marathon for example. You can strengthen the joints and muscles and work on your fatigue without loading up 100 pounds every single time, especially downhill, risking injury. But everyone trains differently for different situations.

I use a set of tire chains and a big old logging chain ( 20 footer). They go into a game bag and they simulate boned out meat very well. They want to squish out from every available "hole" in the straps or in between the frame and bag ( MR Marshall).

With the chains and the logger I am running right around 70 pounds.

Weight training of any kind implies being able to scale the weights in order for your body to adapt to ever increasingly heavy weights.

To do this I use a very simple method, like loading up the 500ml water bottles everyone likes to bash as detrimental waste in our environment.

Not me, mind you, I'm sitting here with one on my desk as I type this out. I find this works really well for me because you can easily bump the number of bottles up or down according to need.

One time, I was overly ambitious and had over 50lbs loaded up. It was a hot desert day here and at the end of the 5 hour trek up the mountain and back I was seriously wasted. Took out about half the bottles and left them for other thirsty souls, who made good use of them!

Haha I disagree with both of you - just because you can, doesn't mean you should all of the time. Use a marathon for example.
Of all the athletes I work with my marathon runners are the most prone to injury due to the repetitive motor patterns inherent in running on roads.

You can strengthen the joints and muscles and work on your fatigue without loading up 100 pounds every single time, especially downhill, risking injury.
"without loading up 100 pounds every single time," JFTR - No one said anything about loading, frequency or duration. You're offering a logical fallacy as a rebuttal.

You can't actually strengthen tissues for deceleration (eccentric phase) without training specifically for deceleration. Neuromuscular motor patterns are absolutely specific to activity. Training concentric phase only increases concentric strength with little influence on eccentric phase strength. The opposite is also true.

But everyone trains differently for different situations.
"Every body is different, no body is special" Every body is subject to the exact same principles of physiology.
Good reads by a brilliant sports scientist
https://medium.com/@SandCResearch/when-are-strength-gains-specific-deee7e3a6e18
https://medium.com/@SandCResearch/what-does-the-principle-of-specificity-actually-mean-552b13dfbeba

One way I have found to carry more weight is to utilize a smaller pack in the front. Putting 75+ pounds behind you has a lot of leverage on your spine/back. I have an old north face backpack from high school and if I can stuff 20+ pounds in that pack and put it on first in front and then a mid sized pack with 50+ pounds on back it is amazing how much easier it is on my spine to carry 75+ pounds of meat versus carrying my big pack with all the weight on back. I go from having 75 pounds of leverage on my back to only about 25 pounds. Also much easier to walk in steep terrain this way. The older I get the more I find myself taking care of my back and this has really helped.

Of all the athletes I work with my marathon runners are the most prone to injury due to the repetitive motor patterns inherent in running on roads.

"without loading up 100 pounds every single time," JFTR - No one said anything about loading, frequency or duration. You're offering a logical fallacy as a rebuttal.

You can't actually strengthen tissues for deceleration (eccentric phase) without training specifically for deceleration. Neuromuscular motor patterns are absolutely specific to activity. Training concentric phase only increases concentric strength with little influence on eccentric phase strength. The opposite is also true.

"Every body is different, no body is special" Every body is subject to the exact same principles of physiology.
Good reads by a brilliant sports scientist
https://medium.com/@SandCResearch/when-are-strength-gains-specific-deee7e3a6e18
https://medium.com/@SandCResearch/what-does-the-principle-of-specificity-actually-mean-552b13dfbeba

What do you coach? I was using marathon runners as an example....you dont run a marathon every weekend training for a marathon. Same principles around hunting and packing out. You dont need to pack out hike/train every weekend with a 80-100 lb pack. I used 100lbs as an example because thats the number Cody used and you agreed with him.

Without all the big words - my point is that you can still hike/train with lower weights and be in good enough shape to pack out an elk during hunting season, without risking injury during the off season and trying to pack out X number of pounds (you input what you can handle realistically). I have never hiked with extra weight on purpose - even once - and have no troubles packing out or have issues with strength during the season.

Last edited:

I don't believe anyone said that you should dump all the water out before heading downhill every time either, or at least that was not my intention. The water is nice because it gives you the option of anywhere from 100% to 0% without having to leave anything behind. Plus in a pinch you could drink it, dump some on your head, etc.

From my limited knowledge of heavy rucking you can do just about as much good with significantly less weight than 100 pounds. Training for a marathon I do probably less than 20% of my training at marathon pace, the rest of the time I'm just running easy. Doing some work at pace or at weight is good, doing extensive work at full pace or full weight is going to wear you down.

My 2 cents. I'm not a coach, just a 50 year old dude who has logged over 10,000 miles in the last 6 years and qualified and run Boston without a running related injury.

I got a new EXO pack and want to load it up with a heavy weight and do some training hikes with it.

What's everyone use to simulate an elk quarter?

I was thinking about getting an 80# bag of concrete and putting it inside some old cotton game bags I have....sort of double-bagging it so to speak.

I don't want to tear up my new pack and so want to protect it from whatever the substrate is that's providing the weight.

What say ye HT'ers? Are there better ways to simulate what I'm after?

You're going to kill your knees. I've said this on here before, but go on diet, go for some hikes, give yourself time to acclimate if you come from low elevation, you'll be fine.

Thanks for all the advice and good discussion in this thread. I hope others can gain as much as I have from reading through it.

Focus

I agree with Idaho Potato. Go hike the hills and terrain your hunting in ( in your boots). Dont need extra weight. Just get your cardio up/ legs and feet in shape. I have packed out a crap load of elk. Adrenaline and being in shape is all you need.

Case in point. A buddy of mine came from MO to come out elk hunting with me in Oregon. He hiked and walked with 75 lbs on his back in the summer heat in MO. Lost a few pounds. The he climbed one1/2 mike rocky steep hill and though he was gonna die.

I always like the argument of lighter rifles, packs how much this weight and that weight. I carry way more than I need because I hate being on a hunt and not having what I want. My rifle is 8.5 lbs and I carry a crap load of water and every gadget known to man, because I have needed many of them. Yes I am conscience of of various products and weights but don't obsess over them. I found the easiest pounds to shed were off my butt.

I use a bag of pea sized gravel. Its 60 pounds and is alot larger then an equally heavy sand bag. This let's it distribute the weight more evenly over the whole pack. It goes In an old game bag. I then put my old sleeping bag in the bottom of my pack to help move the weight more towards the middle, just like you would normally pack your bag.

I often train in gym by doing some squats. It's good for you to familiarize with heavy bags.
Besides, training with dry bags filling with sand might be a good idea. Maybe you can make up to 50lbs

My favorite is a 50-lb bag of dog food. I slide it down into the pack, cinch it down and off I go. I don't usually do it a lot, maybe a handful of times before a hunt just to make sure everything is going to be good to go.

A couple years ago I needed something to stick in there quick, grabbed some scrap dimensional lumber from the garage and stuck in there. Cinched it down and did a 7 mile hike. The problem I didn't anticipate is that the longer boards strapped to my back was like being strapped to a stretcher.. My back was kept perfectly straight, probably good form, but instead of ducking under branches/etc. I had to squat under everything because my back wouldn't bend!

As far as packing heavy, I have toted a few 100+ pound loads out of the woods, but I never train with more than 50 (plus pack/etc.). I know I can do it during a hunt if necessary, but I figure why put the wear and tear on my body and my equipment until I have to.

I'm sure some of you will reel back in horror, but I only started to hike today, it has worked for me in the past, no reason to think it won't now, roll on October general rifle in Montana.
I have been running on a regular basis, up to 7 miles, and doing faster 5k park runs.
So today I loaded up 22lb (10kg) and hiked for almost 9 miles, with some steep bits mixed in (no elevation where I live) I will do the same next week, and build up to a maximum 40lb.
If you can do 40lb, you can do 80lb
Best of luck.
Cheers
Richard

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back