Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Heavy weight ideas for training hikes

Focus

I got a new EXO pack and want to load it up with a heavy weight and do some training hikes with it.

What's everyone use to simulate an elk quarter?

I was thinking about getting an 80# bag of concrete and putting it inside some old cotton game bags I have....sort of double-bagging it so to speak.

I don't want to tear up my new pack and so want to protect it from whatever the substrate is that's providing the weight.

What say ye HT'ers? Are there better ways to simulate what I'm after?

Get a dry bag(s) and fill with sand. I just did that the other day and went for a 50lb hike with the kiddos.

I’m using my 4.5 year old little boy in a Kelty pack I picked up on Craigslist. I’ve got a 2.5 year old that I’ll loan you!

80 pounds?...Dude, meniscus does not regenerate. Just get some cardio training. Ride a bike or find a stairmaster. If you are in shape you can gut out a heavy one-time pack out.

Sand bags, rock salt, whatever floats your boat. I would stick more with the 40-50 pound range if I were you. There are a host of chronic injuries and ailments waiting for you if you are lugging 80 pounds on a regular basis.

The best idea I've heard is carrying the heavy load up the hill in the form of water jugs then dumping it out and hiking back down.

This gets you the good workout, but doesn't risk blowing out your knees anymore than necessary on the way back down.

Thanks for the feedback on the water jugs and rock salt...never thought about them as a substrate.

I know its probably not wise to train with 80# all the time but I have to experience it a few times before Sept/Oct.....never carried anything out on my back before so I need to be satisfied knowing I can do it with an inert object rather than having my first time being a critter that deserves the best treatment I can give it (after I've shot the life out of it, ironically enough).

I usually use bags of flour for my weight and hike hills to get in something that resembles hunting shape, but I don't haul 80#'s for the reasons mentioned above, too much wear and tear on the knees.

if you listen to podcasts "the hunt backcountry" podcast #132 "how to hike heavy" is good listen

One way to save your pack from getting damaged or dirty from the sand bags is to wrap the whole sandbag in duct tape. I also use an old towel to pad the inside of the pack.

I have one 50lb bag of sand and (5) one-gallon water jugs. I prefer the taller water jugs, not the milk jug style. I can mix and match to create the weight I want for each workout. With the sandbag, the duct tape, towels and the water jugs, my whole investment is about $10 and I can get to nearly 100 lbs.

If would strongly suggest that generally speaking you start light and increase your weight as you get stronger. But also mix heavy hikes with lighter hikes. The Hunt Backcountry podcast just had on a guest to specifically discuss heavy pack hike training. Good info on there. The Clifs Notes version is to do 2-3 weighted hikes per week and that strength training has more positive results than cardio training.

Good luck.

You can also put stuff in a trash bag. I do this with rock salt so I’m not getting it on my bag or frame.

I use two 20 lb. bags of bird seed and supplement with a 20 lb. dumbell on heavier days. The seed comes in a very strong, clean bags. When I’m done for the season it goes in the feeders.

I think I'd baby step into carrying heavy weights. Maybe start with 10-15 lbs...getting used to going downhill with weight isn't something you want to jump straight into and your knees/ankles will appreciate it. I did an 8 mile mountain ruck (3.94 miles each way with 2685' elevation gain) this weekend with about 35lbs of gears and I completely regret not doing more lighter pack work first

The best idea I've heard is carrying the heavy load up the hill in the form of water jugs then dumping it out and hiking back down.

This gets you the good workout, but doesn't risk blowing out your knees anymore than necessary on the way back down.

I like this idea

I don't agree with this, because when you get in the field if you have not trained going downhill with weight you all the sudden throw 100 pounds and give it a go on rough terrain you are more apt to get injured. Building your muscles, ligaments, and bones slowly by using lower weight to heavy weight will make you more ready for the pack out.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back