PEAX Equipment

Dirtbag Rifles...let's see 'em

eric308

Post your Dirtbag Rifles! Those rifles that may not be pretty, but reliably get the job done. Here's mine: Ruger M77 MKII .308 stainless/boat paddle stock in .308 with a Leupold M8 4x. Killed an elk in 2002 and would have in 2016 but for operator error. Its intended replacement, a Nosler 48 Liberty, continues to under-impress so it may again get the call. ruger_m77mkII_leupoldM8_4x.jpg

Nothing 'Dirt-Bag' about that rifle. It's a solid, lethal piece of hunting heritage ! Hunt Proud with it . Mine is a 7/08 with a blued barrel & action. To date it still remains my only 100% 1st shot DRT rifle. (16 yrs)

I don't like plastic stock's or stainless steel. There fore there are no dirt bag rifles around here. I got about as close as I ever got years ago when I bought a new mod 660 Rem, frnce post for a stock but shoot really great. Have had a few mod 788's but thought they looked good! Old girl friend bought me a mod 700 with a plastic stock years ago, terminal ugly! Told her it was great, busted my butt to get it to shoot then it sat in the gun case for years till I found a wood take off stock for it, no longer ugly. I don't think I'd let someone with a Topper on the place! ugly is in the eyes of the beholder,,,or something like that!

This is my old beater big game rifle. About 125 yrs old. .45-70 Ballard Pacific (aka #5)

Pacific%20small.jpg

And this is the last of my old beater .22s. I gave away or sold the others.
Winchester 1890 that I've carried since about 8 or so yrs old.

2016%20Squirrel%20and%201890%20small.jpg

Let's not do muzzleloaders that one is so ugly, it will bust your screen.

Post your Dirtbag Rifles! Those rifles that may not be pretty, but reliably get the job done. Here's mine: Ruger M77 MKII .308 stainless/boat paddle stock in .308 with a Leupold M8 4x. Killed an elk in 2002 and would have in 2016 but for operator error. Its intended replacement, a Nosler 48 Liberty, continues to under-impress so it may again get the call. View attachment 84365

I also had a mkii allweather but with a regular synthetic stock and .300 win mag. It was a little picky with the ammo and with the torque with the action screws. But boy did it shoot when you had everything right. I also liked the controlled round feed.

This year I traded it up for the low recoil route. A .308 Savage a pound heavier threaded for a muzzle brake.

IMG_20180701_205432.jpg

I have this Savage 110 in .243 I bought used for like $250 and had a trigger job on it and a Leupold vxi donated when I leveled up with main rifle.

Never used it off the range. But I think a few weeks ago I shot 9 rounds in a row inside an inch with cheap Hornady factory loads. It's my gun I know shoots well for comparison to what I'm testing. I've considered messing with it but I'm too scared to touch what works. Also good to shoot while the rifle on main gun cools.

This is my old beater big game rifle. About 125 yrs old. .45-70 Ballard Pacific (aka #5)

Pacific%20small.jpg

And this is the last of my old beater .22s. I gave away or sold the others.
Winchester 1890 that I've carried since about 8 or so yrs old.

2016%20Squirrel%20and%201890%20small.jpg

Let's not do muzzleloaders that one is so ugly, it will bust your screen.
Looks like a mod 62 Win. I have a Mod 62A, only RF I own other than one other 22 mag. I love that old Mod 62A but my eye's have a problem with it. Just have to take my time and pray! :) Great little rifle.

View attachment 84382

I have this Savage 110 in .243 I bought used for like $250 and had a trigger job on it and a Leupold vxi donated when I leveled up with main rifle.

Never used it off the range. But I think a few weeks ago I shot 9 rounds in a row inside an inch with cheap Hornady factory loads. It's my gun I know shoots well for comparison to what I'm testing. I've considered messing with it but I'm too scared to touch what works. Also good to shoot while the rifle on main gun cools.

Something I've never understood are they guy's that try new thing's just because they work! Jeeze, I've been shooting the same bullet's for a lot of years, cup and core! Still use mostly older powder's too. My new powder's are RL-19 and RL-22! I don't even know when they showed up! There is one sort of upgrade, I've gone from 75gr HP's in one of the 243's to 75gr V-Max! A daring move! Why do some people cast away stuff that has worked for them for years in favor of something new?

H&R 35 Wheelen
Kicks like a mule on the range, but in two short seasons it has been a good little gun to slip in the woods with. Bought it for hunting Louisiana and Mississippi's primitive seasons, and often use it during the regular gun season. I bought a Nikon Prostaff scope when I bought the gun, but it didn't clear the hammer when I sighted it in. They guy I was with happened to have an old beater set 4 power BSA scope he gave me. Killed a spike with it on my very first hunt with it the following weekend, and aint looked back.

Attachments

• 2016 Hog 1.jpg
    2016 Hog 1.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 371
  • 2017 Hog 2.jpg
    2017 Hog 2.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 371
Any idea what year that one is. Mine is a 1962 I think. Looks about the same from what I can see in the photo (unless my old eyes are playing tricks on me). I retired mine a few years ago.

I looked it up once, but want to say it's a 1958. It's chambered in 300 H&H magnum, and shows very little wear. I want to eventually get a Weatherby Vanguard in 25-06 for deer-sized game and smaller, reserving the H&H for elk and bear. Until then, it's my all-around big game rifle.

Savage 110 in .270 Win. An absolute tack-driver. Never lost an animal with (knock on wood). It sure isn't pretty but it's a work horse!

Attachments

• IMG_1539-1.jpg
    IMG_1539-1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back