Vortex Razor vs Diamondback

Ttannahill14

Need to invest in a spotting scope for my Montana Mule/Elk hunt.

Budget is a concern (as always)... I'm a vortex guy, love the warranty and the product. I'll probably try to find one used on ebay since the warranty is transferable.

I've narrowed it down to:

Razor 11-33X50
Diamondback: 20-60X80

Anyone have any expirience with the little Razor 50? Should I go quality over size?

Razor is $699
D'Back is $500

Note: I'm not dall sheep hunting anytime in the near future or counting tines on a moose. I'm going after representative animals usually and not holding out on animals for every inch possible.

I'm leaning towards the Razor 50... any opinions???

I bought a Razor 20-60x85 last year and love it. I compared it with the Diamondback and there is a huge quality difference in my opinion. If those are your choices, I think you'd still be a lot happier with the less powerful Razor than the Diamondback.

I owned a Razor HD 11-33X50 for a few years. When buying it I compared it to 65mm and 85mm Viper HD series, which obviously is a tier higher than the Diamondback. The Razor IMO was much clearer than either of the Vipers and I suspect it would be far superior to the Diamondback. Higher magnification doesn't make detail clearer when the glass is inferior, you just got a bigger and blurrier image.

I have the little razor. I like it because it is lightweight and identifies whether or not it is an animal worth going after. As others have stated, you will have sharper image with the razor, even with less power, than anything else in Vortex's line up. There is a reason the little razor is more expensive than the biggest diamondback.

If the Diamondback spotting scopes are in the same league as the rifle scope, there is no comparison. Get the Razor!!

Back