Hunting WY Region H for first time!

Jack Hoyt

Hi everyone,

Got a friend in Alpine and I am going out this fall on first WY mule deer hunt. Was thinking maybe better to go before Elk general season? Units closest to him are 151 and 152 but they open up later Oct. 7th to 31st. Also liked 153 or 154 which is open Sept. 15th to Oct 6th. Any advise on dates or units for a 5 day hunt? We will hunt during the week and have ability to use a campsite or RV as a base and camp out 2 or 3 nights at a time if needed. Hoping to get away from crowds and expectations are nice mature buck not a record. Thank you very much!

Good luck from a fellow Hoosier. I don't know anything about those units, but I generally prefer to hunt late October rather than earlier.

I would say late Oct, last week if possible. Pre rut starts and bucks become more visible.

Looks like I have conflicting info. 2018 Regulations online say 151 and 152 season for WT and Muley's is also 9-15 to 10-6 and only WT 10-7 to 10-31 but hunt planner non resident map says Muley season in 152 in 9-15 to 10-6 but only lists a WT season for 151? Looks like all of Region H is 9-15 to 10-6 for Mule Deer.

In H, the mountain deer hunts will certainly be more productive earlier. 9/15 is when you want to be there, and already be familiar with it, and on top of a deer at first light.

Also, if you've got a friend that is a resident - your best bet would be to forget about which unit is closest to his house and pick your hunting based on the Gros Ventre, J Smith, or Bridger wilderness areas.

FWIW - I was scouting the Cliff Creek burn today (152-154). The forage is excellent and the deer we saw were looking big, fat and happy

Congratulations on the H tag! Wyoming is a great state to hunt. H has some really big bucks in it. Dont get discouraged if you dont see a lot of animals, because the ones you find are usually good ones. i would hunt the early week if possible and then plan on going back later if you dont find the one you want. Just like mentioned before... with a resident friend i would look hard at those wilderness areas.

Good luck and let us know how you do. I am planning to hunt region G next year, and am headed down there in September for a scouting trip. It’ll certainly be tougher hunting in G and H due to the big winterkill in 2016-17, but there will still be good bucks to be found for those who put in the time and hunt hard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back