Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Solo Deer 4 day 3 night pack hunt needs

Thomich1353

Hey guys,
I'm new to the site. I've been hunting deer for 17 yrs. Bowhunting for 11 yrs and I started looking at OnX maps and recently found out that WI has wilderness area. So I wanna take advantage of that I'm in the early stages of planning, but was curious if I read the forums on pack hunting gear for elk in say Montana would work for building a gear list. I've always wanted to go out west but currently can't afford it. Next best thing is do a mini pack hunt in my home state. If anyone has advice or can point me to a couple good threads that would be great! I figure it's the small stuff I'm missing off my list or my list is way to long. Obviously swap out elk calls and such for whitetail deer.

Thanks any help would be much appreciated.

TJ

I would imagine the list is very very similar, probably less cold weather gear and more bug repellent. Everyone's gear list looks different and everyone has different preferences I really don't take that much more for a backpack hunt than a day hunt.

Day Hunt
Pack
Boots
Water + filter,
First aid kit,
kill kit,
Food
Rain gear
warm layer+hat+ gloves
Weapon

Backpack hunt (above plus)
Sleep system (some combination of shelter, bag, and pad)
Stove + Cup + Spoon
More food (Freeze dried)
Extra pair of socks

Hey guys,
I'm new to the site. I've been hunting deer for 17 yrs. Bowhunting for 11 yrs and I started looking at OnX maps and recently found out that WI has wilderness area. So I wanna take advantage of that I'm in the early stages of planning, but was curious if I read the forums on pack hunting gear for elk in say Montana would work for building a gear list. I've always wanted to go out west but currently can't afford it. Next best thing is do a mini pack hunt in my home state. If anyone has advice or can point me to a couple good threads that would be great! I figure it's the small stuff I'm missing off my list or my list is way to long. Obviously swap out elk calls and such for whitetail deer.

Thanks any help would be much appreciated.

TJ

TJ - I've found that for doing backpack/base camp-style hunts, my basic gear list doesnt change a whole lot whether its a multi-day trip for squirrels in June or an archery deer hunt in October. Obviously you need to account for the species specific hunt, and possibly add an extra layer or two depending on weather, but the majority of gear (by weight and volume) you bring is likely going to be backpacking gear. Pack, shelter, sleeping, cookware, food & water are going to account for most of your weight. After that, you really only need to add on a few extra hunting-related items (weapon, range finder, release, knife, game bags, etc.) depending on your specific hunt. I guess my point is that in my experience I focused more on refining my backpacking gear list than species-specific gear.

My biggest suggestion would be to keep a detailed list of what you end up bringing on your hunt, and when you get back sit down and debrief yourself and identify all the items you did not use. In the beginning I found that a lot of items I packed because I thought I "needed" them ended up never leaving my pack and were a lot of unecessary weight. Clothes especially... There are also some great pack dump videos on YouTube (check out Steve Speck's) that can be useful when planning.

TJ - I've found that for doing backpack/base camp-style hunts, my basic gear list doesnt change a whole lot whether its a multi-day trip for squirrels in June or an archery deer hunt in October. Obviously you need to account for the species specific hunt, and possibly add an extra layer or two depending on weather, but the majority of gear (by weight and volume) you bring is likely going to be backpacking gear. Pack, shelter, sleeping, cookware, food & water are going to account for most of your weight. After that, you really only need to add on a few extra hunting-related items (weapon, range finder, release, knife, game bags, etc.) depending on your specific hunt. I guess my point is that in my experience I focused more on refining my backpacking gear list than species-specific gear.

My biggest suggestion would be to keep a detailed list of what you end up bringing on your hunt, and when you get back sit down and debrief yourself and identify all the items you did not use. In the beginning I found that a lot of items I packed because I thought I "needed" them ended up never leaving my pack and were a lot of unecessary weight. Clothes especially... There are also some great pack dump videos on YouTube (check out Steve Speck's) that can be useful when planning.

Thank you waltherPP I've been wAtching YouTube videos and that makes sense on the list. I appreciate the help

The list will be more similar than different, IMO. On your first trip you'll end up taking way more than you need to, just keep that in mind and try to make a list of the stuff you don't use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back