Caribou Gear Tarp

Recommendations for trout near Vail CO?

Coyl

I’ll be out in Vail mid-August, any of you recommend stream/river relatively close for a day trout trip? A caveat is that I’ll be bringing my father-in-law whom will attempt to fly fish, he has zero experience. I’d like to book a guide, preferably to float. Think that’d be easiest for him. Any recommendations for guides as well?

Yes to all of the above. Great recommendations. Taylor Creek Fly Shop has treated us well for many years.

Gore Creek through Vail is rated a gold medal trout stream.

But it not a float trip like you state you want.

Eagle river over has great fishing too.

If you go over to the Roaring Fork, and above Glenwood to Basalt, you can catch fish using rusty spinner presentations in a size 14-16. Just cast upstream into riffles/fast water. Another method that’s easy for beginners is a hopper and dropper setup, and cast along cut banks/willows. Almost any evening you can catch fish using elk hair caddies in size 12-16 with buoyant applied. Either setup will catch fish into early fall. The Roaring Fork would be good choice in the evening after your did your guided trip. I’d recommend avoiding the Blue River and Ten Mile Creeks. Good luck.

Thanks gents! Anymore recommendations for an outfitter/guide?

That’ll definitely be brought with us, he just said he wanted to try.

You must have fished it before the crowds showed up.

Frying Pan was a once and done for me too due to the crowds. I use the term fishing loosely, as I think I spent 90% of my time sitting on the bank watching the insanity unfold. It reminded me of fishing the Salmon River in New York during the salmon run.

Frying Pan was a once and done for me too due to the crowds. I use the term fishing loosely, as I think I spent 90% of my time sitting on the bank watching the insanity unfold. It reminded me of fishing the Salmon River in New York during the salmon run.

When I fished it back in the early/mid 1980s, it was empty of fisherman. Then came Brad Pitt and "A River Runs Through It" and trout fishing went ot hell. It was an awesome book but the movie did me no favors.

If you want to stick closer to town, Fly Fishing Outfitters in Avon is a solid operation. They will do wade trips on the Eagle and Gore Creek (including some private water), and float the Upper Colorado as well as the lower. https://www.flyfishingoutfitters.net

If you head over to the Roaring Fork Valley, Taylor Creek, as mentioned, is the best in the business on the Pan and their float guides on the Fork are great as well. The crowding will be manageable on weekdays later in August as the Green Drake’s will have moved on (they are about in town right now). If your dad likes a little drive, the trip down through Glenwood Canyon is nice, and the Fork generally fishes better than the Colorado in August.

Note that the Lake Catherine fire is burning just West of Basalt right now. 3% containment right now.

Also Note that both the Fork and Upper C have had a rough go with water levels and temperature this summer. There were Voluntary restrictions on both the other week after 2:00p. The Colorado had several days wher water temp didn’t drop below 64 at night and the Fork down in Glenwood is still staying over 60. We have been floating the Colorado very early (avoiding the Fork entirely), and I heard rumors that the guide shops on the Fork are starting trips @ 05:00. Keep an eye on that before your trip.

Either way, have fun! Feel free to PM for closer-info. We will float one or the other a lot once I get back from family vacation here in bonefish land and should have good intel.

(P.S. I have no affiliation to the shops mentioned, outside of some friends @ TC)

Thanks! I called Taylor Creek, think I’ll probably go that route. I’ll check out that place in Avon before I decide. This makes my conversation with them more clear. He said they are mainly doing 1/2 day trips due to water temperature. I’ll definitely send you a PM to follow up. Thanks again!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back