Caribou Gear Tarp

Recommendations of reloadeding equipment for newbie

Brandon270

Hey guys, I'm looking into getting into reloading and would like some suggestions for reloading presses and or complete kits that would be good for a first time reloader. I most likely will get a single stage press mainly because it seems that there is less issues that may come up due to their simplicity. I've noticed some kits come with digital scales others come with balance scales, any advantages/disadvantages of one over the other? For now I'd be reloading for .223 rem, .270win, and 9mm handgun. Ive also been dabbling in skeet at my local range lately and may reload shotgun as well but it looks like that would take a totally different setup and equipment? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the wonderful/frustrating world of reloading ! I bought a Lee kit way back in the 80's guaranteed to last until the year 2000. Thousands, thousands of rounds later it still cranks 'em out like a champ. Not a thing braggable, nor elegant about it...just works.

Plus, you will become a more confident/ accyrate shooter just because you'll spend more time with your rifle trying to figure out what she likes !

What is your primary reason for reloading?

Some folks reload just to save money on bulk ammo. Some folks reload because they want to wring the last possible bit of precision out of their gun. Given the calibers you are reloading, my guess is that you are mostly looking to save $$.
The type of equipment you buy will be different if you are just saving $$$ vs trying to hit 1/4 moa targets at 1200 yards.

The Lee press is one ive had my eye on but I've wanted to hear some real world reviews on some presses before I spent the cash on a specific press.

The reason I want to reload is a mixture of cost savings as well as increased accuracy over factory ammo. I don't plan on doing any competitive long range stuff at this time. Especially with my .223 varmint rifle, it's just a paper puncher with the occasional coyote or ground squirrel session. So I'm not looking for extreme accuracy but I won't complain at consistent 1" to 1/2" accuracy.

I started down this road a year ago and cobbled together my setup largely (but not entirely) based upon this article. I preferred choosing each item and knowing what/why rather than just buying a big box of bundled stuff. But your mileage may vary.

But I will never shoot enough to make this a cost savings exercise (not just start up equipment, but all the extra rounds you shoot developing loads). But I now able to reliable shoot the bullet I want, customized for my gun.

Shotgun is a whole other setup and for me didn’t seem to have the upside, since I wouldn’t expect accuracy improvements or cost savings.

Last edited:
Get the RCBS kit and be done. At least if you don't like specific pieces, you could sell those and get ones you like. With Lee stuff, might not get the return on the dollar. mtmuley

go with a simple single stage press to start out.. rcbs or lee.. thats the only way to do it is to start pretty simple

Go with the RCBS rockchucker it is a great single stage press that will last you forever. Then piece together the rest with RCBS balance beam scale, powder measure, powder trickler, reloading dies - carbide for the 9mm, Hornady spray lube. That should get you started. Get the reloading manual of the brand of bullets you plan to use ex; Nosler manual. And be sure to read up the practice of reloading and do it in stages without any distractions.

Good luck,
Dan

I had a Lee scale at one time that was a dangerous POS as it didn’t stay calibrated very long. Otherwise, I’ve been happy with Lee, RCBS and Hornady equipment. I would also recommend checking craigslist in your area as there can be some great deals pop up on used equipment.

I have been reloading about a year and a half now. Everyone will have their preferences, but so far I don't have any complaints about Lee Products. I bought this to get me started: https://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-challenger-kit.html

The last few months I have added these two things, which make the entire process way faster:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/628405/frankford-arsenal-platinum-series-case-prep-and-trim-center
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/7...500-powder-scale-and-dispenser-combo-110-volt

I was told not to buy a kit when I first started. That was the best advice that I’ve received.

I started down this road a year ago and cobbled together my setup largely (but not entirely) based upon this article.

Sorry, originally sent from my phone and I missed the article link I was referring to: https://www.chuckhawks.com/reloading_essentials.html AND https://www.chuckhawks.com/reloading_expanding_refining.html

As for comments about single stage by some - I am super glad I got a turret press to start. One of the fidgety things about learning hand-loading is getting the dies setup right. It is nice not to be constantly swapping dies in and out all the time. It's nice to have all the dies for a given cartridge in a single turret plate. I have the auto-indexing disabled so it is still a single stage operation - but a single stage operation with pain-free dies swapping.

Last edited:
Sorry, originally sent from my phone and I missed the article link I was referring to: https://www.chuckhawks.com/reloading_essentials.html AND https://www.chuckhawks.com/reloading_expanding_refining.html

As for comments about single stage my some - I am super glad I got a turret press to start. One of the fidgety things about learning hand-loading is getting the dies setup right. It is nice not to be constantly swapping dies in and out all the time. It's nice to have all the dies for a given cartridge in a single turret plate. I have the auto-indexing disabled so it is still a single stage operation - but a single stage operation with pain-free dies swapping.
hornady makes bushings that essentially are a quick release type thing, so you can leave your die set..either way setting dies doesn't take much time at all

I'm about 6 months into my handloading career. I originally bought a Lee kit, but I kinda d of wish I'd saved up a little longer for a Hornady or RCBS. The Lee bullet press is single stage and works fine. I've been able to work up some good loads for my 7mm-08 and .308. The case prep tools are not impressive. They work I guess, but the chamfer/deburring tool seems like a crayon sharpener. The case trimming lock stud system is time consuming, requires a lot of guesswork - turn, turn, turn, take it apart, measure the casing, put it back together, turn, turn, measure... Darn, trimmed it too short... Etc.

I bought a Hornady case trimmer, which works great and is fairly foolproof once you figure it out a little. I also bought a Lyman case prep tool, also a good upgrade.

The powder thrower that came with the kit works well, but I also use a trickler to get my loads as exact as possible. The worst item in the Lee kit was the scale. I didn't mess with it long before determining I would never have any confidence in it. I upgraded to a digital scale and put the shoddy balance beam back in the box. Maybe ill sell it in a garage sale some day.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, looks like building my own kit with a digital scale and some other better quality pieces would be more worth while than kits available.

Back