Brother in Alaska

Marshian

I’m fortunate to have a brother who moved to Homer two years ago and he is getting more into hunting. I’ve hunted extensively in my home state of Montana and have camped a fair amount so we want a DIY hunt. I’ve been in contact with ADFG and been reading the book “Hunting in Alaska” which a HT member recommended. Since I don’t need a guide, and we have a fairly generous budget, we are debating which would be the most fun hunt between a POW spring bear hunt, a Kodiak Island goat hunt, or a caribou hunt. I’ll likely save the Dall sheep and brown bear hunts for a future trip unless we hunt in a place that had both. I’m focusing mostly on harvest ticket or registration hunts (with exception of the POW bear) as I want to get up there and hunt sooner rather than later. Any thoughts or suggestions about which hunt people thought was the most fun or memorable or whatever else strong option you had would be appreciated. We plan to hunt in fall 2019 unless we do the spring bear which would be 2020. Thanks!

You don't need a guide or resident to hunt moose, but that would be first on my list if I was in your shoes.

One thing I’ve learned in my hunting life is to prioritize the priorities. You never know when plans change, a brother moves, money dries up, jobs fall through, etc. You have the chance to hunt a sheep. I’d do it as soon as possible. Ditto for the brown bear, even though, at least for me, that would be second fiddle to the sheep. Affordable sheep hunting opportunities are just so rare that I wouldn’t take anything for granted or assume that “I’ll do it later.” Go hunt sheep, man! An Alaska Dall is one of the truly great trophies and hunting experiences in the world.

Well your not getting any younger go for a nice Dall Sheep and you never know how long your brother will be in the state. Then a Brown bear hunt. But that's just me :) Concentrate on the species you need a guide for.

Dan

Well your not getting any younger go for a nice Dall Sheep and you never know how long your brother will be in the state. Then a Brown bear hunt. But that's just me :) Concentrate on the species you need a guide for.

Dan

Go after the stuff you need a guide on he may be transfered and you may never get that opportunity again

You don't need to go to POW to get a good Black Bear … there is very good Bear hunting where there are left over tags. Hunt the mainland where there are both Black Bear & Brown Bear. Unit 1A. Might even have a chance at a Cinnamon Black Bear.

POW has the infrastructure but many residents hunt the mainland areas to the east of Ketchikan or Wrangell or in-between. Just takes planning.

^^ Shortened to the smaller sentence that went through my mind...

This this this you never know what life will throw at you or someone else so I'd do sheep,Brown bear, and goat asap. You can hunt those other species without a guide in AK if for some unseen reason your brother is no longer a resident.

Given your list, I'd go goat hunting (Kodiak). I believe the registration hunts still have a 2 goat limit. If you do it in the fall, it would be possible to add deer to the mix. You might have to relocate for deer, but you did say you've got some money to burn. A spring hunt would also be a possibility (I think the season is open through March) - the hair would be phenomenal. If your brother is still a "new" hunter, a balls to the wall hunt for either sheep or brown bear might be too much for him. A lot depends on your brother's attitude.

Last edited:
Following along, in a similar boat with my brother in law but he is in the military and only has about 20 months left in fairbanks... My goal was goat or sheep but still thinking on it. Also need to confirm he qualifies as a resident.

Sheep, brown bear, goat in that order. Priorities, and while you still have the legs for it.

I completely agree with these three animals. I might put bear in third but either way you have an excellent opportunity with your brother living there to do these hunts on your own.

I also have a Brother (In-Law) in Homer and I've been up to visit going on 10 times now. We've done a Moose/Caribou hunt, Black Bear Hunts and a Kodiak Island Deer/Duck hunt. We are flying into the Talkeetnas here in Aug to Hunt Grizz and Bou:) Of all the hunts I've done up there I'd say the Kodiak Island deer/Duck hunt was the best. Don't get me wrong the Moose and Bou were fun, but LOTSA work. We did the boat based hunt on Kodiak and took a pile of critters. Last spring we did a boat based hunt for Black Bears & long range fishing originating out of Homer and did very well. Shoot me a PM for more info......Losta time spent in and around Homer........

If you're into backpacking and mountain hunting go after sheep first... all others are second fiddle. It will probably take a trip or two to get it done, but you will see some incredible country and may even kill a grizz or bou in the process.

Goat hunting is just miserable, and brown bears are not that interesting to me. The rest is OTC for NR.

If you're into backpacking and mountain hunting go after sheep first... all others are second fiddle. It will probably take a trip or two to get it done, but you will see some incredible country and may even kill a grizz or bou in the process.

Goat hunting is just miserable, and brown bears are not that interesting to me. The rest is OTC for NR.

This ^^^
I’ll second this sheep hunts are the most amazing things I’ve done. Like Bambistew mentioned you’ll see amazing country and get to do what most will never do for about $800. Most likely it will take you a couple trips to begin to figure it out and have success but to me that the funnest part.

one thing i’ve learned in my hunting life is to prioritize the priorities. You never know when plans change, a brother moves, money dries up, jobs fall through, etc. You have the chance to hunt a sheep. I’d do it as soon as possible. Ditto for the brown bear, even though, at least for me, that would be second fiddle to the sheep. Affordable sheep hunting opportunities are just so rare that i wouldn’t take anything for granted or assume that “i’ll do it later.” go hunt sheep, man! An alaska dall is one of the truly great trophies and hunting experiences in the world.

You guys are making some great points about the sheep hunting and seizing the opportunity while it lasts. On further thought I do agree about saving the caribou and black bear for later. I do think getting a mountain goat would be awesome, and hopefully sooner or later I’ll draw the MT tag. Thanks for all the input and I hope to get back to your u all in fall of 2019 with an update of how our hunt went.

A friend of mine from Ketchikan Alaska was planning a Mt Goat hunt for this fall but a job opportunity for him opened up on Kauai and he just moved there. In the few years that he was living in Ketchikan he took black bear, deer, sea ducks, emperor goose and a by chance brown bear. You know he's regretting not going after the sheep and goat sooner.

been a while since ive logged in and just notice this thread.
I live across kachemak bay from homer, in Halibut Cove. if you want a decent hunt cheap, go fall Black Bear on my side of the bay, non residents are allowed one a year hear and i passed up several last year that neared the seven foot mark. i dont care for black bear. I saw a small one on the beach across the cove from me not 3 hours ago. Start putting in for MT. Goat draw permits DG361 DG 362 and DG363. focus on 362 & 363 if if draw 361 before I do i will be pissed.:D: been trying for ten years and still haven't got it. all of this is near homer and with the right water taxi (make sure they have a transporters license) affordable and have nice trails to above alpine. DG 363 Port Dick unit is looking better every year, i drew it last year saw one very nice billy and couln't hunt to much due to weather, but there is a new trail being completed this summer that opens up a hell of a lot of alpine territory, so things look promising. hope fore DG 362 though that is the golden goose. but my home of halibut cove DG 361 is pretty nice, and a hard hike though for the better mountain, but i can see goats most days with my spotting scope( great way to kill time while sipping bourbon). my personal plan this fall is to either go up above bradley lake and hunt Dall Sheep or take a skiff up to Tustemena lake and cross over and hunt sheep there for 3-6 days and then hunt moose on the south side on the way back (north side is draw units). TUSTEMENA CAN BE A HELLISH LAKE and don't go on it unless you have superb seamanship skills or a death wish. Any other moose hunting in Unit 15C is on the road expect heavy competition.
now For Brown Bear, I have been charged twice and have had three other nerve wracking encounters with these F*****S. One brother has been charged once in prince william sound though. my eldest brother has the best stories..... back to hunting there are great opportunities for brown bear near homer if your willing to spend time. the only place i would recommend would be on the south side of Kachemak Bay, Between Grewingk creek and humpy creek, seen a few over there ine the 8 1/2 foot to 9 1/2 foot range. go with friends and make sure you can out run your brother. the brush is thick over there.
hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back