Blisters

KayakMacGyver

Posted over in Fireside, but thought I may get some useful input here as well.

I bought my first pair of mountain boots back in April from a really great boot company out of Bozeman. Living in Florida, I don't have a luxury to try mountain boots on before I buy so I did everything I could to ensure a good fit (professionally measured, talked to the company to verify sizing was true, etc). The boots fit great walking around the house and fit as comfortably as I expected they should upon arrival. However, wearing the boots throughout Turkey season I learned of a couple hot spots developing on my heels. The hot spots tend to develop when walking up any incline or when I'm toting some weight and leaning forward slightly (how I would expect hot spots to instigate, I suppose).

Over the summer I've experimented with different lacing techniques and have had some success with my left foot being less susceptible to heel blisters, but the right foot gets it real bad no matter what lacing I try. Lacking any real incline, I integrate 5 miles twice a week on a 15% grade treadmill to "simulate" my planned September elk hunting environment the best I can. With the grade, my heel gets chewed to shreds.

Overall, the boots fit really well with just the right amount of room in the toe box, not too tight on the sides, etc. As I got to thinking about it, I've never really had a pair of boots that didn't tear up my heels to some extent when putting them to heavy use. Any incline or carry seems to instigate blisters...my swamp boots and snake boots are particularly notorious for this. In fact, part of my morning ritual during hunting season is the application of blister tape to my heels along with a liner sock.

I think I'm chalking this one up to my foot shape. I have a really "sharp" heel configuration and it's pretty clear to me why I have this issue. Does anyone else have this kind of problem? If so, have you found a remedy?

With all of the preparation I'm putting into my 8 day solo DIY backpack trip, my biggest fear is having torn up feet hold me back. This morning I bought some Armaskin anti-blister socks that I'm going to give a try. https://www.amazon.com/ArmaSkin-Extr...=Blister+Socks . If these don't work, I'll likely go back to my tried and true blister tape and just deal with the hassel of installing it on my heels every morning and throughout the day as needed. Unless someone else has a great recommendation? I'll be sure to post a first hand review of the new liners I just bought.

My wife has the same thing with just about any boot she tries. The thing that we find to work is just putting a bit of duct tape over the spot that she gets blisters on her heel if we know we'll be putting on a bunch of miles. It seems that her boots (Keen Targhees) are finally worn in to the point of being comfortable, but I bet she has 100 miles on them by now. Sorry I don't have better info, but make sure that you bring some duct tape with you or give it a shot while you're breaking them in.

I have tried three of the major boot brands, if I don't wear socks far to thick for the situation I usually end up with blisters. I have resolved to using athletic tap on the heals and it prevents any problems.

I realize there are applications for stiff footwear, but since hunting primarily in glorified running shoes for the last decade or so I cannot remember the last blister I had. The exception being one trip when I had to use some ice boots to protect an injury.

I spent 2 seasons with similar issues in Kenetrek boots. I tried different insoles, socks, and even lacing. Came to the conclusion that my foot just did not fit that particular boot. Back of heel, blisters within a couple of miles in even moderate terrain. Nothing I tried worked so I moved on to different boots when I plan to do much walking.

For what it's worth I have found Meindl and Danner to be a better fit for my foot shape. In the end there are quite a few manufacturers who make nice boots, just a matter of finding out which ones fit your foot the best.

If those Bozeman boot company boots are Kenetreks then you are not alone. I have a pair of Hardscrabbles that I have had for years, I ran in to the same problem as you with the heels, to the point I shelved them for years and even tried selling(probably a post on here somewhere I got no replies on). Well after a few years I was finally able to get down to Bozeman on a weekday and stopped in to the Kenetrek shop. They had a square piece of fabric that looks just like the inner lining of the boot they recommended having glued in to the heel area, that and their better insoles (mine where green when bought them new the new ones from them they gave me are black). I left the boots with them and I believe they sent them to Carters Boots/Repair in downtown Bozeman who I believe does all of their repairs. I got the boots shipped back to me and the extra piece of fabric made all the difference and without knowing they added it you would never know as it matches the existing fabric. I think this did two things for me, 1) it covered up that stupid stitched seam that ran right vertically down your heel/Achilles and it took up just that fraction of space I needed as I have a more narrow heel than most. After having given up on them for years I can now wear them with no issues now.

Last edited:
A lot of long posted didn't read them all but an absolute game changer for any sort of heel rub or blisters is leukotape. On Amazon prime for 10 bucks. I pre-tape my heels with 1 layer and Moleskin and leukotape over it and it will not come off for several days. (don't put it directly over a blister and try to peel it off to change it will rip your skin off but just soak it in water for a while. (Maybe TMI but I had really bad Achilles rub last year and left one piece on for 10 days��) but seriously that stuff doesn't want to come off.

Leukotape on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Biersdorf-Le...&keywords=leukotape&psc=1&smid=A3MT75038F86CX

+1 on the Leukotape.

A lot of long posted didn't read them all but an absolute game changer for any sort of heel rub or blisters is leukotape. On Amazon prime for 10 bucks. I pre-tape my heels with 1 layer and Moleskin and leukotape over it and it will not come off for several days. (don't put it directly over a blister and try to peel it off to change it will rip your skin off but just soak it in water for a while. (Maybe TMI but I had really bad Achilles rub last year and left one piece on for 10 days��) but seriously that stuff doesn't want to come off.

Leukotape on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Biersdorf-Le...&keywords=leukotape&psc=1&smid=A3MT75038F86CX

Try wearing 2 pairs socks.
Thin liner sock then another pair.
Works great for me hunting, hiking, or wildland fire.

Leukotape seems to have consensus and without realizing it until Google, that's the "blister tape" I've been using for years as part of my morning suit up. The stuff works great but I've found it tends to lose its tack after half a day of walking around. Nonetheless, itll be my back up plan if I can't get this figured out some way more long term convenient.

When breaking in a pair of boots I always put one a pair of thin liner socks then my regular socks. My partner wears sock liners all the time in all his boots, really helps

Try cut off panty hose on your feet under your socks. Old military trick.

It might work for you, but I have seen the effects of this on large numbers of people and many people suffer worse consequences with these types of tricks than with a good pair of thin wool hiking socks. KISS principle is your friend.

Saw an Army infantryman with hamburger feet at last years Bataan have to get evac’d by paramedics at the 18mile point. He had tried this trick to his detriment.

Wool socks. Thin. Switch routinely. Keep feet dry. Leukotape if absolutely necessary.

I use kinesiology tape, clean your heels with alcohol swabs and a strip of tape will easily last several days.

Back