Flying with your hunting dog?

1_pointer

I know folks fly with their dogs. My only experience flying with one was with a dog small enough to go on the plane with me as a carryon. Just curious to those that have flown with their dogs and any tips/info/insight they'd be willing to share.

Some of the hunts I'd like to do with Hank are a L O N G drive from where I live. Though I realize it'd be more expensive than driving, for some it could cut 2-3 days off of the travel time so I thought I'd ask and start looking into flying.

I have shipped pups via airlines. You have the standard health requirements.

I have personally not had any negative experiences. I have heard of them. Frankly, I'm not sure if I would fly with my dog after hearing them.

I have desires to take my dogs lots of places. Frankly, if I'm not driving, she won't be going. If they ever let me buy a seat for her on the plane right next to me I'll consider flying.

I have flown my last dog 9 yrs ago this September.

Gus%20at%20altitude.JPG

If you were like lots of folks without scruples, you would search the internet to get a "bogus" certificate and a body harness with flaps that are brightly embroidered with "Service Animal" on the flaps, and you are good to go. I am glad to know that you have lots of scruples. :hump:

We've flown our lab between AK & PA, a few times. We used to fly Delta, but they changed their procedures a few years ago and would no longer fly a dog in baggage. We now fly Ak Air and experienced a problem a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if the kennel got thrown around, someone deliberately did something to scare him or he was left on the tarmac and got traumatized by noise or what. Whatever he came out of the trip scared of loud noises and always seemed to think someone was going to hit him. He's coming out of it now, but damned if he'll fly again.
Your vet can give you tranquilizers for the flight, if you decide to fly with him.

If we have to fly, ours has to stay home. Too many horror stories, and honestly I don’t think she would handle it well. She tends to be get stressed out easily. Not worth it to us to put her through that. She travels great in the car though, so we’ll take the extra travel time if we really want her to make the trip.

I dont even like to fly me, never mind my dog. I rarely fly anymore. It's too painful and often not any faster.

I used to fly with my lab regularly between MT and Memphis, TN, so that my favorite hunting partner could pick up ducks in Mississippi. In the past, both Delta and United would let the dog travel as baggage for $200 each way. I had many great experiences where the airline staff went out of the way to take care of the dog and let me know how we was doing. Those days are gone. Now, dogs must travel as cargo, so have to be checked in at a different terminal than regular passengers. Both Delta and United now charge $400 each way. If you are traveling any distance at all, the time your pup will have to be in the crate, flying as cargo, is really too long to consider.

I also have to agree with kansadad, the "Emotional Support Animal" is total BS. The mission of real service dogs that help people with disabilities, veterans, etc. is being severely undermined by the bogus internet certifications.

Just got back from picking up a Springer puppy in Minnesota. 4 days round trip from MT. Good opportunity to see some new country. I won’t fly my dogs, especially puppies unless they can be in carry on.

Two of our Chesapeake Bay Retrievers have flown to hunting destinations in Canada on West Jet. The airline folks were just super, even allowing us to see the dog when we had to land and switch planes. However, the dogs are simply very upset for several days. Recent stories of dogs dying or becoming "lost" have sealed the deal for us. We drive, or the dogs stay home.

if i want to hunt somewhere bad enough with my dog we are driving.. no way would i risk something happening to her

You can inexpensively register your pup as an “anti anxiety” animal and it will enjoy many of the benefits a “real service dog” would including flying in the cabin with you if they will lay down under your feet. I don’t think it’s unscrupulous at all considering it allows them to travel safely with you, most people like dogs, and doing so in no way prohibits “real service animals” from doing their jobs.

That being said, I still prefer to drive. Often the cost of flying and renting a car could buy you an extra few days of vacation anyway.

I worked for Frontier Airlines throwing bags during my last year of college. Based on the mistreatment that I saw I will not fly a dog anywhere. Maybe the millennials that are throwing bags these days will have a softer, gentler approach but I doubt it.

I don’t think I could ever fly my dog commercial ... just not worth the risk.

We do have a trip planned to Stuttgart, Arkansas this fall that will be in my buddies plane. That should be a fun trip!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back