Maine Moose

bdubb78

I want to start throwing my hat in the Maine moose draw next year, so I was hoping anyone could help me figure out which units are the best in terms of quality. I can obviously prioritize the units with the highest number of permits to enhance my chances of drawing (as minuscule as they already are), but I have no idea what quality is obtainable in the others. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Start with northern zones and work your way south. Take into consideration previous years harvest to help prioritize. The odds of you getting your first choice are really not likely, although it happens. When I drew my first bull tag in 1997 it was for my last choice. When I drew my second tag last season, it was for my first choice. The moose are in trouble up there so the further north the better.

Start with northern zones and work your way south. Take into consideration previous years harvest to help prioritize. The odds of you getting your first choice are really not likely, although it happens. When I drew my first bull tag in 1997 it was for my last choice. When I drew my second tag last season, it was for my first choice. The moose are in trouble up there so the further north the better.

Not sure there is much else to say here. I would just be happy with a bull tag anywhere. I see the draws becoming harder each year.

Buddy of mine just drew his 3rd bull tag in Maine I'm still at a loss. I think pretty much any of the units could produce a good bull. Basically if you draw any bull tag there run fast and be very happy some awful odds up there. But good advice above.

Buy as many of the bonus packs as u can afford, start on the NW northern boundary and move east....doesn't really matter which of the northern units u draw they all have moose. The bonus points are pretty much worthless now that they sell 10 chances at a pop for $55.. and as many as u can afford to buy.

Maine’s lottery is a money grab and a joke, been there done that. I know resident families that have put in for more than 20 yrs w no tags....

18 years for me and no tag. I been on two Maine moose hunts though as my buddy has draw to tags in the same period of time, units 7 and 8.

I have drawn tags in Maine and New Hampshire. I doubt I will ever get another one in New Hampshire but I am hopeful that I will return to Maine some year. I have just been applying for the units that have the early (rut) hunt.

The best odds I had in NH were 1 in 32....I am up to like 1 in 300 now. A buddy of mine drew a bull tag this year as resident, his first in 21 years

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back