Thread: Chukar chicks

Default Chukar chicks

These are the first chicks I've seen this year. Big brood of at least a dozen so maybe there was a good hatch overall.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hunttalk needs to add a "LIKE" button One year I raised Chukar instead of quail for dog training. The hatch was exceptional (88%). They were the best flyers that I have ever had. I really liked the birds except for the fact that they ate me out of house and home. Went back to quail (smaller appetite).

good luck to all
    the dog
    Last edited by pointingdogsrule; 07-01-2018 at 09:38 PM.
    "it's the HUNT, not the KILL"

Great photo chukarman.
    Being defeated is a temporary condition, giving up is what makes it permanent.

Very good pic!

Thanks guys. I can't take credit for the pic. I had my wife and niece with her kids out on a catfishing trip. My wife is the photographer in the family. She always seems to capture something good when we're out there.

Great pic, I also saw a great brood last night on my workout hike. At least 20 birds, most looked like little ones.
    Elitist Hunter

"Never let schooling [work] get in the way of your education" - Mark Twain

Not sure if it will happen this year, but I have put wild chukars on Hank's (my dog) bucket list...

Quote Originally Posted by 1_pointer View Post
    Not sure if it will happen this year, but I have put wild chukars on Hank's (my dog) bucket list...
    Just do it

I spent some time on Google Earth finding several hundred miles of ridges this morning. I’ll share.
    Fear the beard....

Time for grasshoppers
    Fear the beard....

Should be a good season if we can keep the mild summer temps and a rain storms going. Time to put together a HuntTalk Chukar hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by JLS View Post
    Just do it

I spent some time on Google Earth finding several hundred miles of ridges this morning. I’ll share.
    Is that in invitation or a dare?!?

First, I need to decide if I want to drive him all the way to western WY for another bucket list item in Sept since I didn't draw my doe pronghorn tags. But, odds are he'll be heading somewhere West for a new bird species this year; sage grouse and chukar are high on that decision matrix...

Is that in invitation or a dare?!?

First, I need to decide if I want to drive him all the way to western WY for another bucket list item in Sept since I didn't draw my doe pronghorn tags. But, odds are he'll be heading somewhere West for a new bird species this year; sage grouse and chukar are high on that decision matrix...
    Whichever you want it to be. I wouldn’t do your first chukar hunt in early October though. Not unless it’s cooler than normal.
    Fear the beard....

13. Default

No gambels Quial chicks his year,not good.Also no Cottontails,Send Rain!

But, odds are he'll be heading somewhere West for a new bird species this year; sage grouse and chukar are high on that decision matrix...
    Dec/Jan once we get a bit of snow. Drive a bit further WA/OR/ID breaks country (though NV is probably good too, I just have never been).
    Elitist Hunter

"Never let schooling [work] get in the way of your education" - Mark Twain

Be careful hunting with JLS. Oxygen may be required.

Definitely thinking it'd be later than in Oct the year I pull the trigger. Sage grouse in WY in Sept was my plan for this year, but not drawing the pronghorn tags are giving me pause. Just a long way from home, but still not out of the question. Or the HT Ugly Dog Congress... Hank got a nose full of sharptail a couple times in MT last year, but none were brought to hand. So, he kinda has a score to settle. My oldest is trying out for a travel football team next week, so that may have some bearing on where we end up going. I'll definitely be hititing IA a time or two for pheasants.

Quote Originally Posted by pointingdogsrule View Post
    Hunttalk needs to add a "LIKE" button One year I raised Chukar instead of quail for dog training. The hatch was exceptional (88%). They were the best flyers that I have ever had. I really liked the birds except for the fact that they ate me out of house and home. Went back to quail (smaller appetite).

good luck to all
    the dog
    They do eat unlike any bird I’ve ever raised. We raise about 1000 of them a year and they average 120 lbs consumed a day. It’s amazing.