2019 Snowgoose Hunt

406LIFE

So, I'm gonna try this again and get some people to go. I WILL be going by myself, but would like to take some HT hunters with me.

Details are fluid ATM. But will be finalized as people commit.

There will be a deposit at some point.

Hunt will be somewhere in WY or SD.

Thinking of 3-4 days.

I will create a google doc, so pm me with email and I'll add you to it.

I am open to DIY. Its not rocket science, but you need a decent spread and a willingness to be flexible.

Guided, you don't have to get the dekes, they know the birds, and can usually follow them as they go.

When: Feb-Apr. Like pointingdogsrule said, you follow the migration so who really knows, but I am guess late march.

Where: WY or SD. Again depends on who goes, what we all want to pay, where everyone is from, etc.

I just don't want to wait till last minute to set this up and I'm the only watefowler I know in the state of Montana so...

I would be interested in going. I love shooting those white rats! They make great brats!!!

Slightly off topic, but more on topic than midget strippers, how do the guides follow the birds? Is it the same group of 3-4 guys that follow the birds around? Or do they have local guys in all the areas that have local connections for access and to keep an eye on the birds?

Slightly off topic, but more on topic than midget strippers, how do the guides follow the birds? Is it the same group of 3-4 guys that follow the birds around? Or do they have local guys in all the areas that have local connections for access and to keep an eye on the birds?

When you have millions of birds it's not that hard to follow them. Most years they have the exact same flight path. Example: Northwest Missouri (staging area) to the rainwater basin of Nebraska (water and food), to the Yankton area (food and water), to Aberdeen and on up north. How fast they move depends on the "snowline". They follow the melting snow and they must have open water. The old birds know the flight path and lead, juveniles follow later. Snow or storms will push them back south as happened this year. The guy I went with this year had 12 guides with numerous fields. We were locate in South Dakota. I think that he was there for 3 weeks before the birds slowed to nothing. 3-4 guys that follow birds :).. there are so many outfitters that it aint funny :)

If you want to make it even easier.... the are snow goose facebook pages. People tell you everyday where the geese are and how many are to bee seen. Technology :)

good luck to all
the dog

DU has an app that allows you to follow the migration. Pretty neat and we used it last yr to buzz over to Aberdeen. Pretty decent shoot.

Northern Migration through CO last year was early, the Conservation Order was meager at best.

Is this a regular season or conservation hunt? I might be interested in WY, depending on location.

Cushman, you still trying to get Bridget the midgets number?

Bump to see if anyone else is interested.

I’m interested, I’ll shoot you a PM. I can never find anyone to go on trips, so usually end up not doing it so it would be nice to go for once. I love waterfowl but haven’t been much the last couple years since my bird dog died, and have never shot a snow, so depending on how it shakes out I’d be all over that! Thanks for doing this. I’m just outside Missoula so not too far away.

ETA**** Your inbox is full

Last edited:
The snow geese migration is so hit and miss, and timing is everything. I hate to say dates are nice to plan for but I got a call from the property owner this spring and he told me the geese had come and left in two days. Our group has all the stuff, socks, vortexs and electronic caller. Another thing SD allows extended magazines on your shotgun!

I would be interested if it’s SD.. got a trailer full of decoys and blinds.. guided would be even better because who wants to go on vacation and work like that. Shoot a A400...drink any beer.. and who doesn’t like midget strippers..self employed so timing is flexible..

Back