PEAX Equipment

Nevada Sheep tag unit 268

psycho

Ok, so I don't actually have a Ram tag. I have a ewe tag. Its my first animal I am going after that loves the cliffs. This is a challenge as I am allergic to falling. Some people might say I'm just afraid of heights. As long as I feel like I'm in control I have no problem. If rocks are moving or it looks like I need to scale a wall of more than 50 feet or so I'm either gana slow to a crawl or find another route entirely.

I decided to go check out the area yesterday to see how bad it was or how difficult of a hunt it might be. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I found three groups of sheep on various cliff faces and all within 200 yard shot. Only one group I would not be able to take a shot as my fear of heights would prevent me from climbing down to retrieve it.

Does anyone else have a fear of heights that gets in the way of their hunting, exploring or traveling?
I do feel better about this hunt after my day trip to the area so I'm looking forward to opening morning.
photos attached if I do it right.
2018-06-30 08.40.14.jpg2018-06-30 08.41.43.jpg2018-06-30 08.49.47.jpg2018-06-30 07.56.06.jpg

Fantastic images! I’d love to know about your digiscoping setup.

Nothing helped me more to get over fear of heights than rock climbing. It will also help you learn how to rope up, protect, and rappel. Those skills can be invaluable when dealing with steep sheep country. I always have rock gear in my truck when I hunt in case I need it. I wasted a very expensive rope towing my vehicle out of a ditch once. Cheaper than a tow truck in the middle of nowhere.

Best of luck!

Just look at it has adding character to the hunt! This may cause you to slow down and take the right shot to ensure she doesn't end up in a hard to get to spot. Which slowing down helps me savour the hunt. :)
Looking at the photos, it looks like now all you have to do is find a really nice ram, and shoot the ewe in front of him!

Looking forward to seeing the results and story soon!!

I've never not went on a hunt or trip because of heights, but have been spooked twice on different trips. Now I just try not to get that close to large drop offs. :D

Some were with Vortex razor spotting scope and some with Vortex 10x42 binos. iPhone and phoneskope. New toy and I'm just learning taking photos as its soooo much better to look back on an experience when you have good photos to remember everything.
Thanks for the rock climbing advise. I have done some repelling short distances as I am able to coerce myself to deal with the fear for a short time in some situations but I don't see hauling an animal off a cliff as that would take some time. I might just have to enjoy the hunt longer until I find them in the perfect spot. Going to be fun.

I have the same tag. Looking forward to it! The unit is big enough that you should have the opportunity to be selective on your shot and where you are hunting but then again sheep like staying in the rough stuff.

2018-10-18 13.02.39.jpg How did you do Bowhunter73? Walking a few ridge lines I had to back out and find another path as too cliffy for me but was able to get on them both days. The first day was a madhouse of people so I came back a week later and followed this group a few miles before I was able to get a good shot. I really liked sheep hunting!! Will have to do it again.

Back