Truck Topper Roof Rack Suggestions

Jwill

Wanting to get a truck roof rack for my camper shell to haul my canoe, raft frame, etc. Any suggestions, tips, or tricks? I've got a '14 f-150 super crew with 6.5' bed and a Leer topper. Thanks!

I have a Rhino Rack rail system and a basket rack that attaches.

I just order a leer topper for my Dodge. I got them to install the tracks but saved money by not adding the rails. I will be looking for some aftermarket rails once I save up some money.

My Snugtop came with support frame & insulation,Thule rack system included. It will hold 750lbs easy. Carried a canoe many times on it. I prefer the Thule flat top rack over round tubes for cross frame,but I have a Yakima basket on frame now.Carries a bunch leaving inside free.

I went to the junk yard a pulled one off a chevy suburban and then pulled extra supports of another chevy so I have an eight foot rack with twice the supports for 20 dollars on my truck topper work great. I then ordered two large baskets from amazon 100 each and I'm going to put them on perpendicular to the truck so it covers the entire topper. I'm going to be loading it up with coolers for the trip up to newfoundland for moose and staying in the truck. Once I kill out the coolers are going in the bed and staying at hotels for the ride home.

I picked up a used topper which already had the Yakima perches mounted so I just mounted my risers to this aluminum tube which was part of the mounting frame for my now discarded bed cover and the hard part was over. Still fabricating the adjustable stabilizer tabs which will hold along the sides for lateral stability; no matter how well you tie it down my 17' Grumman wants to become a part of the slipstream at 75mph, especially when meeting a semi on a 2 lane.

I'll be covering the top of the channels with a strip of extruded polyethylene for easy sliding since aluminum doesn't like to slide on aluminum and I usually have to load and unload by myself.

001.JPG

Last edited:
I made my own using unistrut, IMC conduit, and conduit straps. On the inside there are supports to distribute the load. I also used a generous amount of Ultra Black gasket maker. Never leaked a bit.

Works great and I only had about $50 into the whole thing.

IMG_4553.jpgIMG_4555.jpgIMG_4639.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back