Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Satellite Coms: Garmin Explorer+ or Mini

MinneFoCo

I've received the time off work and got the green light from my wife, so I'll be spending 2.5 weeks out of cell coverage chasing Elk. One condition is that there is communication with my wife, which is a very reasonable request. Looking at the Garmin Explorer+ and the Mini communicators. I have a Garmin 64s, can any one tell me about either/both of these devices?

Was just looking at the Mini online and researching here on HT as well. I'm leaning towards the Mini even though it's a bit pricier than others. From what I've read, with the garmin smartphone app, one can do all the mapping and gps functions by connecting with the Mini plus of course it has the texting function to keep your family at ease. I didn't read too closely on the details of the locator beacon function, but it does have an SOS function, too.

I have an Inreach Explorer + and I love it. Pack it with me whenever I leave for the woods. The ability to bluetooth to your phone, send text messages off it, plus us the OnX mapping app round out my communication/GPS world. The texts do take a little while to get through, usually takes about 10 minutes to send one, then get a response back. Plus my wife likes that each text comes with a set of coordinates so she knows where I'm at. She can hit the link and see exactly where I am on the map. Reading in the manual, there is a tracker function with it, but I haven't dug into it to see what is all involved with it. In theory, it would update somewhat in real time onto the website, so she (or whomever you give permission to see) where I've been throughout the day.

Really, I don't know if I could speak highly enough for the InReach. Handy, HANDY piece of kit. From what I've seen prices are coming down significantly from when I bought it, and the monthly subscription can get costly if you forget to suspend service, but all-in-all well worth the price of admission.

I have the OnX chip with my 64 and supplement with the OnX on my phone. Can you tell me a little more about the OnX app on the Explorer?

I have the original Delorme Inreach SE. Garmin bought out Delorme who use to make the Inreach's. Mine does not have GPS capability, but the explorers do. I already use my phone (onX) and a Garmin Oregon, so I didn't need it.

As far as using it in the field, I've had no issues. As others have stated, when you send a text message it has a link to your location. Last season I'd make it back to camp and cook dinner while texting the wife and my father with no problems. Last year during 4th season in CO I stayed the entire time (5 days), and my battery was still just above 50%. You have to charge it like a phone. For me it wasn't so much about me needing to get in touch with loved ones, it was if they needed to get in touch with me.

I'm looking at these options as well seems like because the mini came out you can find the Explorer for about the same price. Any thoughts on why one is better or worse, other than weight? I kinda like the fact that the explorer can be used stand alone.

Also anyone run into this new company called Bivy? I heard they are on the iridium network and have a similar product.

I just bought the Garmin Mini a few weeks ago from gohunt.com (only place that seemed to have in stock). I was skeptical about the battery life being cut in half compared to the full size but thats nothing a small rechargeable device cant solve in the back country. First off, it is much smaller than I thought, literally fits in the palm of your hand and is very light weight. I have it paired with the earthmate app on my Iphone and it is very easy to navigate and txt message with. The plan I chose is the freedom recreation @$35 a month and I use from May thru December then plan to cancel. I do hike around a lot in the spring so there is the possibility I use a yearly cheaper plan in the future. I've used on once backpack trip last weekend and the battery held for 2 days at 90% or more but I was just using the maps on my phone to help with navigation. I still need to figure out using the tracking option....I cant find any draw back on this device, I hope it last 10 or more years and I will be more than pleased.

I have the full size delorme version. Nice to be able to use it by itself. I'm not great with delicate things like cell phones so I don't trust one as my only device in the back country. Then again, I still use a compass and map too so maybe others have a different opinion.

I have the OnX chip with my 64 and supplement with the OnX on my phone. Can you tell me a little more about the OnX app on the Explorer?

I may have worded this wrong, but the OnX app isn't "on" the explorer, it's on my phone, which is connected via bluetooth to the explorer. OnX runs as normal with my phone in airplane mode (with bluetooth still on though) and I can text from my phone.

I've got the Delorme Inreach Explorer +. It will be very similar to the new Garmins because Garmin hasn't had time to integrate the Inreach capability to their GPS software yet.

Right now I wish I had the Mini. I don't need standalone GPS capability on a handheld unit. But finding my UTM coordinates is a very handy feature, or dropping a waypoint with coordinates to mark a wallow, water source, kill site, trailhead, etc, is also handy.

But most of my nav is going to be with map and compass. Quicker and easier to get a birds eye view. The earthmate app I have on my smartphone is pretty handy as well.

Map, compass, mini, newtrent 11000 mAh battery pack, and smartphone would cover me for nav and communication.

I'm interested to hear more from everyone running each of these units. Debating between the Explorer and the Mini myself.

Only + for the extra $ of the explore + is navigation over the general InReach unit.

Navigation units are more or less a thing of the past now that the vast multi functionality of our phones has taken the scene... Add ONXMaps and it leaves the explorer+ in the dust.

I no longer carry my Garmin Rino 530HCX. It's a dead weight. I have my phone for music, audio books when i crash out at night to pin point accuracy for my location. Within that is the video, photo capabilities the screen size, ease of use... On and on and on. For emergency, general comms and follow map for others to know where I'm at, the base InReach does everything.
Edit added: Also, the InReach unit has the Bluetooth capability for connecting with the phone.

Last edited:
Only + for the extra $ of the explore + is navigation over the general InReach unit.

Navigation units are more or less a thing of the past now that the vast multi functionality of our phones has taken the scene... Add ONXMaps and it leaves the explorer+ in the dust.

I no longer carry my Garmin Rino 530HCX. It's a dead weight. I have my phone for music, audio books when i crash out at night to pin point accuracy for my location. Within that is the video, photo capabilities the screen size, ease of use... On and on and on. For emergency, general comms and follow map for others to know where I'm at, the base InReach does everything.
Edit added: Also, the InReach unit has the Bluetooth capability for connecting with the phone.

Boom. This sounds like exactly what I needed to hear to make sure I would not wish I had the other. Thanks a million!

Now, does anyone know if these things go on sale, or if I should get it at full price at REI and earn that 10% towards a dividend?

I was able to pick up a lightly used DeLorme Inreach explorer on Ebay for less than $200 but even at that price it's a steal for what you get.

I was able to pick up a lightly used DeLorme Inreach explorer on Ebay for less than $200 but even at that price it's a steal for what you get.
I think I bought the same unit from Cabela's for $250. I think it's the way to go for messaging. I rented an imarsat phone and I don't think the talk feature was all that reliable when I tried it and it's oodles more money to buy one. It also has GPS features to back up your GPS. You could probably use this as a standalone if you got used to it. I'm getting onx on my phone because I'm going somewhere this fall where property boundaries are key. But I would never count on my cellphone as a primary or especially sole navigation aid if I we're going into wilderness or even remote areas. They just don't handle the h2o.

OnX app on Inreach Explorer

I may have worded this wrong, but the OnX app isn't "on" the explorer, it's on my phone, which is connected via bluetooth to the explorer. OnX runs as normal with my phone in airplane mode (with bluetooth still on though) and I can text from my phone.

Is there any "scuttlebutt" out there as to when or if Garmin InReach Explorer might add the Hunt Map capability.

Back