Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Northeast Wyoming White-tail

rawickens

Hi, all!

I have been reading posts on this forum for a couple years now, and since I finally pulled the trigger on WYO tag, I figured that now was a good a time as any to create an account. There seems to be a lot of good info shared.

I just entered the leftover (second) draw for a whitetail tag in units 7, 8 and 9. I drew an antelope tag in the first draw, but this New Yorker is looking to see about getting a nice whitetail while I am there, too. Does anyone have any experience with these units for white-tails?

Before you answer, I have purchased onXmaps and have been looking at all the walk-in areas, agriculture, lowlands, etc... that may hold white-tails; however, nothing beats feet on the ground experience. I even made a landowner contact already. I have read that the northeast is a good place for white-tails, that there may be a lot of pressure, and that the white-tails may be on private lands, BUT I have also heard that people tend to overlook white-tails, as they are more interested in mules. What are your thoughts? Any information is appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Ryan

I don't have any experience with those units but on the way out to Wyoming the eastern end off 90 there was deer everywhere. Those units are just below 90 couldn't imagine it would be alot different. I know those units are primarily privately owned. Landowner contact may give you some good access to Blm. Do you already have written permission? I would make sure you did.

Nothing in writing yet. Just some contacts that a friend of mine made last year while he was hunting. I would imagine it is similar to Region A, but the more I look at the landscapes on onXmaps, the more I see differences, so not sure what to expect. Definitely putting in my e-scouting time with onXmap, forums, google maps, etc... Thank you for the response, and good idea about getting permissions in writing.

Ryan

We are headed out from NY also, going to unit 21 for lopes. In the second draw for a doe tag in units a little farther west from yours. We are headed out from WNY. Good luck!!

My dad and I are going to be hunting a bit farther west for mule deer but we’re coming from Niagara county.

Hi, all!

I have been reading posts on this forum for a couple years now, and since I finally pulled the trigger on WYO tag, I figured that now was a good a time as any to create an account. There seems to be a lot of good info shared.

I just entered the leftover (second) draw for a whitetail tag in units 7, 8 and 9. I drew an antelope tag in the first draw, but this New Yorker is looking to see about getting a nice whitetail while I am there, too. Does anyone have any experience with these units for white-tails?

Before you answer, I have purchased onXmaps and have been looking at all the walk-in areas, agriculture, lowlands, etc... that may hold white-tails; however, nothing beats feet on the ground experience. I even made a landowner contact already. I have read that the northeast is a good place for white-tails, that there may be a lot of pressure, and that the white-tails may be on private lands, BUT I have also heard that people tend to overlook white-tails, as they are more interested in mules. What are your thoughts? Any information is appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Ryan

I hunt that area every year. I hunt region "A" for whitetail. Lots of whitetail in that area. Once you get further south the whitetail numbers decrease. South of highway 16 it a whole different terrain. More mule deer then anything else. I am across the road from unit 8 & 7 when I hunt antelope and shoot P-dogs. I can not recall seeing a whitetail in that area. I am sure that there are some there. They are few and far between and that's part of the reason that there are usually so many "left-over" tags for the area. As others have stated.... study hard. Good luck and enjoy the hunt. Now if you have an "any deer" tag that would be different. By the way, don't let me discourage you with my previous answer just stating what IO have seen in the past 8 years. I would concentrate in the areas most north (Upton and that area for your best chance). PS: if you see one shoot it :)

good luck to all
the dog

Thanks for the info! Definitely doing my e-scouting homework and will do what I can to put one down. If not, I’ll at least be out there to scout for next years draw. :)

Good luck to you as well.

Ryan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back