Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wash Game Bags Before Use?

Stagg412

Just got my new game bags for a fall Elk hunt. Everything is so neatly packed and I know I'd never get it back in the little bag as efficiently as the manufacturer, but I also know new clothes and most fabric products come loaded with other chemicals and stuff. Should I wash these before I use them?

I've done it both ways (washed and unwashed) and couldn't tell the difference. I did spray a light citrus solution on the bags after putting meat in them to keep the flies off.

I only wash my bags after they get bloody. Never had any issues.

I use Alaska game bags and never had an issue. Can not speak for other brands though...

I only wash my bags after they get bloody. Never had any issues.

Generally I only use game bags once as they get tied, cut, torn etc., but I do have some unused bags that got bloody. What is the best/safest way to wash them?

I use synthetic bags now. I soak them in water then wash them in the washing machine. When I used the cloth disposable bags, I would soak them in water with a mild dishwashing liqoud and call it good.

I use synthetic bags now. I soak them in water then wash them in the washing machine. When I used the cloth disposable bags, I would soak them in water with a mild dishwashing liqoud and call it good.

This...

Rinse them with a hose and get any meat particles off, soak them in a bucket of ice water over night, toss them in washer with some bleach on cold. Never wash blood with warm or hot water as it will set.

I have some Alaska bags that are on their 4th use and some caribou on there 3rd, a couple of minor stains but they basically look brand new.

I reuse Alaska bags after I wash them with a bleach, rinse well, hang to completely dry.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back