First Wyoming Antelope Hunt

mchubb316

Hello All! A friend and myself drew 1 buck and 2 doe tags for Wyoming unit 73. Talked to the biologist and a Game Officer from the area and got some good general info. I've read quite a bit of info on the unit in various forums. Sounds like getting a buck and a couple does each should be a goal that is not too hard to accomplish. Plan on coming out the Tuesday after opening weekend. I have a good GPS and will be getting they onX Wyoming chip. Not having feet on the ground prior to getting there (driving from Oregon),I was hoping to get info from you folks on what to expect when we get there. Possible camp spots(will be wall tenting for 5 days), terrain(is it wide open with 0 cover(like some Oregon units), or is there areas with sage?), will a side by side come in handy over there from getting from spot to spot? Thank you in advance for reading and sharing your experiences with this unit.

I have the perfect spot, I wall tented it there last year. Its inside of a isolated grove of cedars, so a nice wind break. PM if you want details.

I'd call it rolling hills, its a lot of sage but stalk able hills and valleys in it. As far as a side by side I would leave it home if you have a good 4 wheel drive truck. There was a lot of camping spots in any of the little valleys along the roads but you will get dusted by vehicle traffic if its dry. If your going to be there 5 days look over a lot of buck before pulling the trigger unless its a real good/cool one. You won't have a problem finding antelope. Good Luck

we hunted 73 last year. Stayed in Casper so I can't offer much on camping but the area we hunted had plenty of rolling hills and it seemed to me that there was more cactus per square acre in that area that probably anywhere else on the planet.

you will not have a problem finding plenty of goats

Thanks for the info on this. Really looking forward to getting over there and seeing this new country. Appreciate all info new and old on the camping side of things.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back