Looking for an elk rifle

Also, don’t overlook a standard Savage 110/116/10/16. They are actually very light, and are as accurate as they are ugly. I own a couple and am amazed at how a production rifle can shoot so well

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I have two Savage rifles, a Model 10T in .308 that I picked up with the goal of having a reliable 1000 pleasure shooting rifle to be built with a $1000 budget. Add in a SWFA 10x scope (with SWFA rings and base) and a bipod and it shoots better than I do with my handloads. My hunting rifle is a 116 stainless in 7mm RM. The stock it came with was junk, so I replaced it with a Bell and Carlson (still need to do a bed job) and do my load work up, but even with the crappy stock, it still shot sub MOA with production ammo.

Great value for what you pay for them, plus the Accutrigger is still one of the best production triggers you can find.

All of your choices are fine rifles, I'd recommend handling as many as you can before making a choice. You might find that one fits you better than the others. Then start your search on gunbroker.

Right on!

I would seriously consider the Weatherby Vanguard S2 also. Comes in a 22" and a 24". I have the 24" in .308. Going for as little as $500 new on gunbroker right now. The stock is awesome; the bolt is smooth; the trigger is out of this world; the sub-moa accuracy guarantee is definitely a guarantee. I only wish it was free-floated, but it doesn't show. Still groups great! Personally, I don't see how any rifle under $1000 is much better. But I'm a little biased like everyone else because that's what I have. :D

The new savage storm is a very nice looking rifle that is around 500 bucks, I haven't handled one yet but they look quite nice. I'm pretty sure it comes in both 308 and 7mm08.

I have both a Tikka T3 superlite in 30-06 and a model 7 SS In 7-08. I would never part with either. My model 7 is lights out out to 200 but opens up a little after that. It's about to get a bed job and a Timney trigger makeover though. The model 7 has been with me since 04 and has killed a stack of whitetails.

Love the 3 Tikka T3X lite SS have bought over the last couple of years. I have had a bunch of $700 guns by various mfg over the years and they are my favorite by quite a bit. Or you could be bold and get a Winchester 1885 in .270 or .308 :)

Keep in mind caliber!!
Check with where you plan to hunt for caliber restrictions. Example, PA requires 7mm or larger diameter.

Stupid law. I guess the bulls we killed with .257s and .264s weren’t dead.

Thanks for everyones thoughts and insight. I decided to go with the Howa Kuiu in a .308. It was only $399 at sportsmans warehouse. It will serve its purpose nicely. I only get to elk hunt every three or four years and prefer to archery hunt so having a rilfe like this will allow me to rifle hunt when I have a chance to. Thanks.

Gunwatcher.com is a great website for price shopping. Searches almost all online gun and optic retailers and compiles a price list for you. All the hard work is done for you in just a few seconds. Just have to type in what you want.

In the calibers mentioned, 7mm08 maybe a 260 Rem. , A model seven gets my vote.
I sure love my model seven in .260 for deer.

I like a good magnum for distance though, and one with a little weight to help keep me steady. But I'm deferent than most in that sense.

Thanks for everyones thoughts and insight. I decided to go with the Howa Kuiu in a .308. It was only $399 at sportsmans warehouse. It will serve its purpose nicely. I only get to elk hunt every three or four years and prefer to archery hunt so having a rilfe like this will allow me to rifle hunt when I have a chance to. Thanks.

Congratulations!

"Stupid law. I guess the bulls we killed with .257s and .264s weren’t dead."

PA requires their bulls to be deader than just dead.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back