Looking for an elk rifle

Jsreid

I am looking at purchasing a rifle to hunt elk with. I wanted a Howa Alpine Mountain rifle in .308 or 7mm-08 but cannot find any for sale. I have looked at the Tikka T3 lite, Kimber Hunter, and Remmington Mountain rifles. I would like any thoughts or suggestions on this. I would like to stay in the $700 to $800 price range. Thank you for any suggestions or thoughts.

I recently bought a tikka t3x lite in 300wsm. Action is smooth as butter, its light, and accurate. If I ever find a need to have another long gun caliber, it will be a tikka.

Tikka is the cat's ass, but don't overlook the Model Seven stainless synthetic in 7/08. It's a nifty little rifle.

All of your choices are fine rifles, I'd recommend handling as many as you can before making a choice. You might find that one fits you better than the others. Then start your search on gunbroker.

You have a good list there and don't think you will be disappointed with any of them. I can vouch for the Kimber Hunter. I have one in .243 and feed it 90 gr. Nosler BT. It puts antelope and whitetails down nicely.

Find the rifle you like then get it in the cartridge you want! The hardest part of this for anyone is finding the rifle they want! You can get a 308 in just about any rifle I can think of!

You can find some pretty excellent deer rifles on the used rack at your local sports shop that would all work perfectly well for elk. Just depends on how picky you want to be on model/caliber. There are probably fifty different calibers that would work perfectly well and just as many models of rifles that will work. So don't think you need to find something new and trendy to get the job done.

Gunbroker is your friend, use it.

completely agree. I bought my New Howa Alpine on Gunbroker for $600 all in. I bought a slightly used Kimber Montana for $700, and a Marlin 1895gs 45-70 for under $600. great prices on all these guns, if you know what you want and you check it regularly you can buy some really nice guns. if you want the Howa, check out the Howa Kuiu rifle. you can get the same barreled action as the Alpine, just a different stock. also check out the Thompson Center Venture in 7mm-08. can get them new and cerakoted for well under $500 on Gunbroker and they will shoot easily sub MOA

Keep in mind caliber!!
Check with where you plan to hunt for caliber restrictions. Example, PA requires 7mm or larger diameter.

I've been toting a Remington Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM. After I get one with it, I'm gonna start toting my new Remington Model Seven SS in 7-08 that I paid a little over $600 for.

today youre looking for an elk rifle but in future you might want to hunt bigger game,,a very good choice is a 300wsm,,125 gr pills out to 200,,a one rifle to do it all
dont worry about the recoil,,i brought a browning xbolt and its a pussy to fire,,love it to bits

Last I knew, eurooptic.com had really good deals on “display model” Tikka T3s. I bought one in SS 30-06 and it looked like it had not been handled, and it shoots quite well. I gave less than $500 for it, shipped.

Also, don’t overlook a standard Savage 110/116/10/16. They are actually very light, and are as accurate as they are ugly. I own a couple and am amazed at how a production rifle can shoot so well

+1 for eurooptic. Bought one of their closeout old model T3 forest in 7_08 for great price (under $600).

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back