Am I being to picky ?

Huntkook

Went to the range this past weekend. Getting use to new rifle. I shot six shots.I'm shooting a Browning X Bolt Western Hunter in 7mm top with a Nikon 4-16x50 shooting Barnes 150 Vor-Tx bullets. Am I being to picky to want more than this at 200yd?20180627_190632.jpg

Attachments

• 20180627_190632.jpg
    20180627_190632.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 455
Short answer, yes.

Here is why: that three shot group is sub MOA and with factory loads. I hand load and if I had a group like that I’d probably stop tinkering with the load and call it good.

That's pretty good for 200 yards. I'd shoot a few more groups to confirm your rifle likes that ammo and call it good.

Shoot a 10 shot group and you won't have to rely on the internet to tell you. :)

There is actually some truth to this. Statistically speaking, 3 shot groups tell you very little about your rifle. Obviously, that rifle has crazy potential, but if you want to have more confidence in your gun, shoot a few 5-7 shot groups and see what it looks like. 5-7 shot groups separate the good guns from the great ones. To answer your question though, you are not really going to do any better than that on a consistent basis with factory ammo. Real nice shooting!

I don't know...here's a 3 shot group at 200 with the first load I tried from my 7-08, shots 15-17.

IMG_1056.JPG

Same rifle, 5 shots at 100:

1228141902a.jpg

300 yard 3 shot group from my 7 RM.

IMG_4362.JPG

Here's 6 shots at 450 yards with 7-08, fired relatively fast.

IMAG0071.jpg

I agree with SnowyMountaineer...holding chit together for 3 shots is all fine and good, doing that with 5, 7, or 10 shots??? That's going to tell you a lot more.

All that said, there does reach a point where I call it good and just shoot more.

I wouldn't be unhappy with that. Not sure how many you have down the pipe in total, but I generally believe that rifles do need broken in to a degree. Whether or not you are a believer in barrel break in procedures, I've found that guns certainly shoot differently with 100 rounds down the barrel, than with 6.

Last edited:
Another whole thing to consider: shooting well from a bench on the best days, and posting a picture of a good group, doesn't mean a lot when it comes to killing big-game.

Seen it...

My first reaction was, "is this a serious question, or is it a back-handed attempt at receiving praise"? I will assume good intent and say that these are very good for 200 yds factory and if you aren't satisfied then you are being too picky. If my assumption is wrong, then this is a junk post.

Last edited:
I never shot ten times at an animal in my 40 years of slinging lead at them. Mostly one shot or two at the most before its dead or disappeared. So to be practical and if this is a hunting rifle I would be most concerned whether it can shoot the same spot on a cold barrel and a follow up shot or two. I would toss the paper and go shoot some hide. Get passed the internet "grouping " mentality and get out in the field. If thats what your end game is.

My first reaction was, "is this a serious question, or is it a back-handed attempt at receiving praise"? I will assume good intent and say that these are very good for 200 yds factory and if you aren't satisfied then you are being too picky. If my assumption is wrong, then this is a junk post.

I was being serious all thou I know it was a good group for a hunting rifle with factory ammo I wasn't completely satisfied. Now Buzz H posted some braggin pictures. I'm just always looking to improve. I have about 60 rounds thru the gun and it seems that the groups are shrinking. Probably a combination of break in and getting use to the gun.

I was being serious all thou I know it was a good group for a hunting rifle with factory ammo I wasn't completely satisfied. Now Buzz H posted some braggin pictures. I'm just always looking to improve. I have about 60 rounds thru the gun and it seems that the groups are shrinking. Probably a combination of break in and getting use to the gun.

Fair enough. Some look for good and some enjoy chasing perfection - I tend to lean toward the former, but I can see the lure of the later.

I never shot ten times at an animal in my 40 years of slinging lead at them. Mostly one shot or two at the most before its dead or disappeared. So to be practical and if this is a hunting rifle I would be most concerned whether it can shoot the same spot on a cold barrel and a follow up shot or two. I would toss the paper and go shoot some hide. Get passed the internet "grouping " mentality and get out in the field. If thats what your end game is.

Yeah. Cold bore grouping is a must. I never have noticed much of a difference in my rifles doing it though. Generally looks like an average group. Now that I think about it, I never have shot a target on a hot day and saved it to shoot on a cold day. Probably would see some change in POI. IMR 4895 is "supposed" to be relatively insensitive to temperature swings though. Might have to give it a try.

You are missing the purpose of a 10 shot group...

Looks good. When my groups get that tight, I move from the bench rest and start practicing realistic shooting positions.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back