Montana Special Lion Permit

Labman

Looking for opinions on the best special lion permit in Montana for giant cats. Have max points and have been putting in for 213/214 since it has the toughest odds and the male quota is equal to the number of tags, which is rare amongst the special lion tags. Might be time to look at something else...Region 1? Thoughts??..

Big cats are coming from all over, but mostly R2 and R3. Honestly, I think the areas you know best are where to put in.

I really don’t know which areas are better, but it seems in areas in Region 1 the quota is met fairly quick with good snow conditions and enough to allow good 4wd travel. I had a friend that took 10 plus years to pull a tag in a good unit and adult male quota filled fast and by mid December the female quota filled. So I would recommend if you draw in Region 1 plan on hunting hard the first couple weeks of season. Lots of lions up there and relative few tags. Good luck.

Pagosa, that is the big fear. I have waited 10 yrs also and if the male quota gets filled before you can even hunt what is the point? What a screwed up system. I called and voiced my opinion to a guy at FWP last year, all he did was defend the system. He must have dreamed it up and can’t take criticism of his “accomplishment”, who knows. The only unit that has a male quota that is equal to the number of permits is 213/214...but the odds are horrible. If someone shoots a cat in that unit during the fall season the quota is reduced by 1 though, so you have a 50/50 shot just like some of the other units with 12 tags and a male quota of 6. Horrible system.

I completely understand your frustration. There is an abundance of lions in the few areas I hunt. I mostly focus on bobcat, but run across lion tracks frequently. Seems like a lot of females and kittens, but I’m not out a lot. I’m looking at other areas in the state to run dogs, and hunt more accessible areas where bobcat seasons are longer and more liberal season on lions. I don’t really want to shoot a lion. We have guys going out at 1-2 AM trying to find a track, and waiting until daybreak, but by late Dec through March you won’t see another hunter. I wish we had a permit system for bobcats and lions, not a quota that is filled by trappers and outfitters.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back