Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Drew A Washington Moose Tag!

Grundy53

So excited! I drew a Washington moose tag for unit 111. I can't wait to get scouting and Hopefully post some success photos here in October!

Awesome! Saw your post over on the Hunt-Wa site too. I drew the Kettle Range tag in 2015 and got a respectable 38" bull on Oct 1st. I had called one in the day before in the same area, so I went back and found him or another bull chasing a cow. I was just over a mile from the road and solo. My best advise is to have plenty of meat sacks and rope. There's no way you can even budge one without help or extra rope. I also did a gutless butcher job for the first time and it was really helpful. Watch some calling videos and practice. It's not hard and really works! Take plenty of pictures too. Excellent meat!

Dave

Congrats on the tag! I wasn't selected for anything - again. Just curious, how many points did you have? I didn't start building points soon enough, so I don't know if I'll ever draw an OIL tag. I hope to see some grip-n-grin photos this fall and some scouting pics if you can share some. Good luck!

Congratulations and good luck!

I also drew a bull moose tag for Colorado after 19 years applying. Rode the bicycle up the canyon a little while ago and saw this fellow feeding in the willows. Do you think he knows I have a moose license?

43-pounds-of-willow-a-day.jpg

Bullwinkle-in-Velvet-6-27-1.jpg

Good luck in October. I have a cow moose tag for 117 so if you can be sure to run anything without horns south. :rolleyes:

good luck and have fun! I drew WA in 2009... Ive been fortunate to tag along on 4 moose hunts in WA and ID. One thing I have learned don't be afraid to road hunt its probably the most effective way to hunt moose. cover ground and glass and repeat.

Well, its almost time! I'm leaving Friday morning. Season starts Monday. I've been scouting, practicing my calling, and shooting my rifles. I feel like I'm as ready as I'll ever be. Right now the waiting is the hardest part. I'm way too antsy and my productivity at work has suffered lol. Hopefully I'll have some pictures of a big bull to share when I get back. If anything it will be a memorable once in a lifetime hunt (at least in Washington) with my dad and a couple good buddies. Thank you again for the advice you guys have given me!

Well, its almost time! I'm leaving Friday morning. Season starts Monday. I've been scouting, practicing my calling, and shooting my rifles. I feel like I'm as ready as I'll ever be. Right now the waiting is the hardest part. I'm way too antsy and my productivity at work has suffered lol. Hopefully I'll have some pictures of a big bull to share when I get back. If anything it will be a memorable once in a lifetime hunt (at least in Washington) with my dad and a couple good buddies. Thank you again for the advice you guys have given me!

Thanks guys. Tonight is going to be a sleepless night.

You pretty much said it for me. Good hunting, Grundy!

Tonight is my sleepless night. By first light tomorrow I'll be watching over moose habitat at 10,000 ft.

Sorry it's taken so long to update. Been a busy hunting season. I was able to harvest a bull opening morning. Drawing this tag was amazing and knowing its once in a lifetime I made sure to soak it all in. From the scouting to the comradary with my dad and buddies who helped me. I will never forget this hunt.
20181001_071231.jpg

Last edited:
Back