Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

CVA Breech Plug modification for Blackhorn 209 powder

PrairieHunter

If you have an older CVA and have tried to shoot Blackhorn 209 you have likely experienced issues. Blackhorn simply does not ignite reliably in factory CVA breech plugs. It's gotten so bad that they started selling breech plugs specifcally made for Blackhorn 209 powder but only for the V2 Accuras.

So for those of us with an older CVA including the v1 accura we were stuck using the other powders or dealt with ignition issues. I have been trying to find a solution to this problem for quite some time and found that others were modifying thier breech plugs for the blackhorn 209 powder. I spoke to Carl here in Laramie and he suggested doing this myself as he did not have time. I did some research and found this thread from a gunsmith who has done this many times.
https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/359236-cva-hex-breechplug-modification.html

I decided to give it a try. I ordered the necessary bits and tap. Today it arrived and I decided to see if I was capable.

First I drilled it out per specs.
IMG_0283.jpg

Then used the larger drill bit for the next step.
IMG_0284.jpg
IMG_0285.jpg

Final step was tapping. I left the belts hooked up and applied slight downward pressure as I spun 8 threads (first 2 are not full depth). I then released the chuck from the tap to make sure I did not mess up the threads.
IMG_0286.jpg

Screwed in the new vent.
IMG_0287.jpg

In all it took less than 10 minutes and about $50 worth of bits from e-bay. I drew a muzzleloader antelope hunt in WY and am looking forward to getting this gun dialed in.

Interesting, I have a CVA with ignition issues that got so troublesome I purchased a different muzzleloader before my last elk hunt. I have looked at that safe queen and may take another try at the fix. I liked how it shot but lost confidence that the “boom “ would happen as planned.

Word to the wise- test your new breech plug's ignition with BH209 extensively. I purchased the BH209 specific breech plug for my CVA, and it still does not ignite reliably. The same is the case in my T/C. I contacted Blackhorn about this, and their customer service was sub par at best- basically told me to learn how to clean my rifle and that there was nothing wrong with their powder.

Switched back to 777 propellant and killed multiple deer the rest of the season without incident.

what CVA model do you have onx? I just switched my optima over to the 209 and 209 firing pin kit. I have yet to test it with Blackhorn. I shot Blackhorn out of my T/C blackdiamon with 0 issues

Nice work. I have seen that old thread you attached and contemplated doing it to my plug several times. May I ask where you got that vent plug and do you know what it's purpose is?

Please report back how your trials with the BH 209 go. I'm very interested in doing this.

what CVA model do you have onx? I just switched my optima over to the 209 and 209 firing pin kit. I have yet to test it with Blackhorn. I shot Blackhorn out of my T/C blackdiamon with 0 issues

Wolf. The ignition systems are identical between CVA models, though, assuming all have the BH209 breech plug. It could very well have been that I got a bad batch of BH209. Happy to provide videos of multiple misfires through multiple rifles to anyone who wants them.

Nice work. I have seen that old thread you attached and contemplated doing it to my plug several times. May I ask where you got that vent plug and do you know what it's purpose is?

Please report back how your trials with the BH 209 go. I'm very interested in doing this.
It's a Vent liner, designed for this propose in muzzleloaders. That way you can just replace it instead of getting a new breech plug.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-10M...ge+vent+linter&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

I went and shot recently and everything went great. No misfires. Even tried 120 grains of powder, no issues with ignition. 100% confident that it will go boom when I pull the trigger which has never been the case with this gun and that powder.
Biggest thing is holding the plug solid when working. He used plywood and a wrench, I just used a vice.

Here is a link to another brand of liners
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lehigh-ven...262942?hash=item1a3dd1179e:g:-0AAAOSw3ydV7OMn

Thanks for sharing. I have kicked around the idea of switching my Optima over, but the reality is, my muzzleloader is not on my mind much this time of year. It's usually just a brief swap out from archery with maybe a day at the range each year. I know that sounds bad, but I just dig flinging arrows a lot more.

Thanks for sharing. I have kicked around the idea of switching my Optima over, but the reality is, my muzzleloader is not on my mind much this time of year. It's usually just a brief swap out from archery with maybe a day at the range each year. I know that sounds bad, but I just dig flinging arrows a lot more.

It's definitely muzzleloader time in WY. Unit 107 starts monday and 50/99 start the first.

I have a Tradirions Vortek Strikefire and had issues related to BH 209. The biggest issue was how I cleaned using TC 17 bore solvent and TC Bore Butter. Once I figured that out, I still had slight hangdire issue with click-bang.

After all the monkeying around missed opportunities on out of state hunts, I realized that I had never had these issues in over 30 years of using muzz guns. The problem wasn’t me, it was the 209. I am now happily using 777 pellets with absolutely no problems. I look forward to trying the new Hogdon Starfire pellets too.

Even when using the 209, the gun is dirty and it’s hard to seat bullets after 3 shots. Same as 777. Why mess with the 209? If you’re using it without issue - great!! If you’re having issues, ditch the 209, it’s THE problem!! Just MHO....

I have a Tradirions Vortek Strikefire and had issues related to BH 209. The biggest issue was how I cleaned using TC 17 bore solvent and TC Bore Butter. Once I figured that out, I still had slight hangdire issue with click-bang.

After all the monkeying around missed opportunities on out of state hunts, I realized that I had never had these issues in over 30 years of using muzz guns. The problem wasn’t me, it was the 209. I am now happily using 777 pellets with absolutely no problems. I look forward to trying the new Hogdon Starfire pellets too.

Even when using the 209, the gun is dirty and it’s hard to seat bullets after 3 shots. Same as 777. Why mess with the 209? If you’re using it without issue - great!! If you’re having issues, ditch the 209, it’s THE problem!! Just MHO....

http://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/blackhorn-209-vs-777-vs-goex-black-powder/

However, both Blackhorn 209 loads had BY FAR the smallest standard deviation out of any load tested. Since standard deviation quantifies the amount of variation in a data set, this means that Blackhorn 209 produced the most consistent velocities.

That being said though, Blackhorn 209 is probably your best bet for the greatest all around performance.

Like I said earlier, Blackhorn 209 produced by far the most consistent velocities in my test.
Consistency is very important for accuracy and using a powder charge that produces almost exactly the same velocity each time will really help in that regard. The fact that Blackhorn 209 also leaves less fouling in the barrel not only makes it easier to clean, but it also helps accuracy when taking multiple shots in a row since there isn’t as much variation in the amount of fouling in the barrel.

Additionally, you should keep the pros and cons of using 777 pellets in mind as well.
First off, pellets are A LOT faster and easier to load than loose powder.
That being said, the 50gr pellets consistently shot the same bullet at lower velocities with a higher standard deviation than comparable loads of loose powder. This corresponds to a more arching trajectory and degraded accuracy.

I just did this modification to my plug a few minutes ago. Took me 5 minutes. I was surprised the steal the plug is made from is not very hard.

The easiest and truest way to do it would obviously be to chuck it up in a lathe but I don't have easy access to one or even a good drill press and good vice . I ran the drill bit through with a press but did not like how it was holding in the crappy vice when I dropped the center drill in. I ended up running the center drill in using a hand held with the plug in a bench vice. You just need to watch what your doing and stay straight. I tapped it by hand as well.

I won't be able to test it out for a while but I'm looking forward to it.

I have neither a drill press or a work bench with vice and very limited mechanical skills. Is there anybody that is selling breech plugs like this or that I could pay to do it to the one I have on my original version Accura?

I have neither a drill press or a work bench with vice and very limited mechanical skills. Is there anybody that is selling breech plugs like this or that I could pay to do it to the one I have on my original version Accura?

I was never able to find a source which is why I went ahead and did my own. A gunsmith should be able to modify your plug for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back