Default CVA Breech Plug modification for Blackhorn 209 powder

If you have an older CVA and have tried to shoot Blackhorn 209 you have likely experienced issues. Blackhorn simply does not ignite reliably in factory CVA breech plugs. It's gotten so bad that they started selling breech plugs specifcally made for Blackhorn 209 powder but only for the V2 Accuras.

So for those of us with an older CVA including the v1 accura we were stuck using the other powders or dealt with ignition issues. I have been trying to find a solution to this problem for quite some time and found that others were modifying thier breech plugs for the blackhorn 209 powder. I spoke to Carl here in Laramie and he suggested doing this myself as he did not have time. I did some research and found this thread from a gunsmith who has done this many times.
    https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bla...ification.html

I decided to give it a try. I ordered the necessary bits and tap. Today it arrived and I decided to see if I was capable.

First I drilled it out per specs.
    Name:  IMG_0283.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  63.7 KB

Then used the larger drill bit for the next step.
    Name:  IMG_0284.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  57.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_0285.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  62.1 KB

Final step was tapping. I left the belts hooked up and applied slight downward pressure as I spun 8 threads (first 2 are not full depth). I then released the chuck from the tap to make sure I did not mess up the threads.
    Name:  IMG_0286.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  63.8 KB

Screwed in the new vent.
    Name:  IMG_0287.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  50.8 KB

In all it took less than 10 minutes and about $50 worth of bits from e-bay. I drew a muzzleloader antelope hunt in WY and am looking forward to getting this gun dialed in.

My apologies for the rotated pics, I made sure they were straight when uploaded.

Interesting, I have a CVA with ignition issues that got so troublesome I purchased a different muzzleloader before my last elk hunt. I have looked at that safe queen and may take another try at the fix. I liked how it shot but lost confidence that the “boom “ would happen as planned.

For comparison here is the factory Blackhorn 209 breech plug for newer models.

https://twotesticlestactical.co/prod...iABEgJ9qfD_BwE

https://gnarlygorilla.com/cva-accura...yABEgK6zPD_BwE

5. Default

Word to the wise- test your new breech plug's ignition with BH209 extensively. I purchased the BH209 specific breech plug for my CVA, and it still does not ignite reliably. The same is the case in my T/C. I contacted Blackhorn about this, and their customer service was sub par at best- basically told me to learn how to clean my rifle and that there was nothing wrong with their powder.

Switched back to 777 propellant and killed multiple deer the rest of the season without incident.

what CVA model do you have onx? I just switched my optima over to the 209 and 209 firing pin kit. I have yet to test it with Blackhorn. I shot Blackhorn out of my T/C blackdiamon with 0 issues

Nice work. I have seen that old thread you attached and contemplated doing it to my plug several times. May I ask where you got that vent plug and do you know what it's purpose is?

Please report back how your trials with the BH 209 go. I'm very interested in doing this.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTNNW View Post
    what CVA model do you have onx? I just switched my optima over to the 209 and 209 firing pin kit. I have yet to test it with Blackhorn. I shot Blackhorn out of my T/C blackdiamon with 0 issues
    Wolf. The ignition systems are identical between CVA models, though, assuming all have the BH209 breech plug. It could very well have been that I got a bad batch of BH209. Happy to provide videos of multiple misfires through multiple rifles to anyone who wants them.

Quote Originally Posted by mplane72 View Post
    Nice work. I have seen that old thread you attached and contemplated doing it to my plug several times. May I ask where you got that vent plug and do you know what it's purpose is?

Please report back how your trials with the BH 209 go. I'm very interested in doing this.
    It's a Vent liner, designed for this propose in muzzleloaders. That way you can just replace it instead of getting a new breech plug.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-10ML...LH_TitleDesc=0

Quote Originally Posted by mplane72 View Post

I went and shot recently and everything went great. No misfires. Even tried 120 grains of powder, no issues with ignition. 100% confident that it will go boom when I pull the trigger which has never been the case with this gun and that powder.
    Biggest thing is holding the plug solid when working. He used plywood and a wrench, I just used a vice.

Here is a link to another brand of liners
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lehigh-vent...AAAOSw3ydV7OMn

11. Default

Thanks for sharing. I have kicked around the idea of switching my Optima over, but the reality is, my muzzleloader is not on my mind much this time of year. It's usually just a brief swap out from archery with maybe a day at the range each year. I know that sounds bad, but I just dig flinging arrows a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by joelhunter View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I have kicked around the idea of switching my Optima over, but the reality is, my muzzleloader is not on my mind much this time of year. It's usually just a brief swap out from archery with maybe a day at the range each year. I know that sounds bad, but I just dig flinging arrows a lot more.
    It's definitely muzzleloader time in WY. Unit 107 starts monday and 50/99 start the first.