Reloading question

UT_Hunter

Hey all got a question for all you reloaders out there. I've been working up some loads for my 300 win mag trying to get at least 1 inch group at 100 yards never been able to do that with the factory ammo I used. So far I've tried 180 gr and 165gr hornady sst bullets with IMR 4350 each loaded with variaying 60s and 70s grains of powder based on the reloading manual, couldn't get a group tighter than 2 inches with those. So I switched to 165gr nosler accubonds bullets and loaded those with RL 22 with loads in the upper 70 grains of powder still nothing better than 2 inches, I did try the nosler 165gr accubonds bullets with the IMR 4350 but those grouped awful. I'm curious to know what you guys think I should do next try another bullet? heard good things about bergers but they are expensive and i don't want to keep buying bullets if there's a better way to find accuracy or should I switch around with different powders, seating depth ect? Or any other suggestions I'm really new when it comes to reloading and the process of finding a accurate load so any advice is appreciated thanks.

I do not know twist of barrel I will soon, I let it cool down in between each shot and I clean the barrel after 3 rounds.

How old is the rifle, or better yet, how many rounds has been fired through it? If it's an older rifle, or has been shot a lot, you may have some throat wear going against you. How much jump are you loading for? I have a .308 that is very finicky about jump. Too little or too much might as well spray and pray, get it just right and it shoots bug holes at 200 yards. Have you found any production ammo that shoots well? If you can find something that shoots well, you can copy the COAL and bullet, then experiment with powders to get the results you're looking for.

I let it cool down in between each shot and I clean the barrel after 3 rounds.

Most factory barrels shoot best after they have been fouled - If barrel is broke in I wouldn't clean it until your groups open up.

There is no telling how many rounds it takes to foul a barrel before it settles down and shoots to its potential. I would say average is 2-5 rounds.

Rifle is fairly new probably less than 75 rounds through it, I havnt found any factory ammo that's groups good kind of thought it would save me some money if I reloaded instead of buying a whole new box only to have it not shoot good. From what I've been hearing though finding some good factory ammo that shoots good then copying it sounds like the way to go

Don't intend to offend, but seems like worth asking what type of groupings you get with a lower recoil rifle, like a 243 or 7mm08? Do you have another 300wm that you do shoot sub-MOA? For some shooter error is the biggest variable - for others recoil opens up groups.

H4831 is a good powder for the 300 win mag, I use it behind 200 gr partitions and 165 gr barnes ttsx. I like 4831, very temp stable, much more than the reloaded powders. I recommend trying the 180 gr sst and 4831.

I do not have another 300wm but I've grouped lower recoil rifles before with good results. But I'm not ruling out my shooting capabilities I'm sure I could very easily be the problem.

Do you know anyone who has been reloading longer or more volume than you? It's really nice to have a mentor starting out in reloading. Knowing how far your bullet jumps to the lands and not just loading to SAAMI spec lengths can make a lot of difference, that's were a few of the right gadgets and a mentor can be very helpful. As has been said, don't worry about cleaning as frequently as you have been.

Also, check the scope, mounts, and action screws. Could also be that your rifle needs bedding or has some stress on it. Since it's never shot anything to the standard you are hoping for, I'm not convinced it's load issue and could very well be a rifle, scope, or shooter issue...

Most factory barrels shoot best after they have been fouled - If barrel is broke in I wouldn't clean it until your groups open up.

There is no telling how many rounds it takes to foul a barrel before it settles down and shoots to its potential. I would say average is 2-5 rounds.

This! I typically foul a barrel with 3 rounds before I pay any attention to groups. I then clean every 40 or 50 rounds. Also, I don't mean offense, but are you able to shoot 1 inch groups with other rifles/loads? It could be that there's something about the rest setup you're using that makes it hard to shoot well, or that you need some practice with shooting fundamentals (not sure how experienced you are). It could also be that the .300 is making you flinch a bit... Just a thought. Good luck!

Check for barrel/stock contact and properly tighten all bolts and screws. I just fixed a Browning A-Bolt 7mmRM that shot soccerball size groups for years because I established that the stock was slightly contacting the forearm. I sanded everything out and it was instantly MOA or better

Here's some thing that come to mind that may not have been mentioned yet.

In addition to the checking barrel/stock screws. Be sure to check the scope bases, scope rings, is this a proven quality scope? have you tried another scope?
Be sure to give the muzzle (crown) a very close inspection, any very small scratch or deformation at the crown will play havoc with your groups. (jammed in the ground once maybe...)
You say your powder charges have been in 60's and 70's grains.... have your different charge weights been orderly? I start with about roughly 1% increments ... in this case I would step in 0.5 grains amounts.
Is your brass sized ok.... not overly resized? (too much shoulder set back).
Do you know how far off of the lands you are seating the bullets?
Do you have a friend that shoots very well that can shoot it? (different technique) ( I had a rifle that shot much different and better if I pulled down in the fore end in a certain place.... and the barrel was floating either way).
Is your rest really solid?

Good Luck and Be Safe,

Last edited:
Lots of good advice given. I'd get yourself some 4831 and either the 165gr or 180gr accubonds. Load them either to max magazine length or .010 off the lands. Whichever you can get to.
What brand of rifle is it?

I shoot a 300 WM with a very similar load, same powder and SST combo you tried. My gun loves it. However, as someone else alluded to, my gun only shoots as well as I do. I am really not intending offense, but one of the consistent variables in all of your tests has been you as the shooter. I know for me, my loads, scope, and gun are all good, but sometimes I am not. It is worth asking ourselves if we are capable of shooting sub one inch groups, not just our equipment. No load or scope or gun can change that.

Rifle is fairly new probably less than 75 rounds through it, I havnt found any factory ammo that's groups good kind of thought it would save me some money if I reloaded instead of buying a whole new box only to have it not shoot good. From what I've been hearing though finding some good factory ammo that shoots good then copying it sounds like the way to go

Have you checked the bedding?

Try barnes ttsx those bullets arnt jump sensitive and usually shoot good when other bullets wont

I'm a big believer in seating depth. Also, Nosler website lists RL19 as the most accurate powder tested with 165gr bullets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back