Caribou Gear

Meat Processing in Wyoming

havershap

I'm planning an antelope hunt in Wyoming area 63. The area is between Casper and Rawlins. I will need a meat processor in one of those towns, or another town nearby. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Just my "two cents". If you have any experience at all... do it yourself. My cousin took an antelope to a guy in Gillette once and was charged $200.00. Not sure he got his own meat back. If you have done a deer then you can do an Antelope (they are much smaller). 1. Skin the animal. 2. remove backstraps. 3. remove shoulders and rear legs and debone them. 5. Trim any other meat off (neck). 4. bag them and put them on ice. They will make the trip back to Washington. In the end you will most likely get 30 - 45 pounds of meat at the most.

good luck to all
the dog

Just my "two cents". If you have any experience at all... do it yourself. My cousin took an antelope to a guy in Gillette once and was charged $200.00. Not sure he got his own meat back. If you have done a deer then you can do an Antelope (they are much smaller). 1. Skin the animal. 2. remove backstraps. 3. remove shoulders and rear legs and debone them. 5. Trim any other meat off (neck). 4. bag them and put them on ice. They will make the trip back to Washington. In the end you will most likely get 30 - 45 pounds of meat at the most.

good luck to all
the dog

I've killed a number of antelope before and I've butchered deer, pigs, and an elk. But I'm not very good at it and I'd rather leave it to an expert. I get a better product from a GOOD butcher. (Ive also had some bad results, too, which is why I'm looking for recommendations.)

there are a cpl around Casper some guys have mentioned before.

I found several in Casper and one in Rawlins from an internet search, but I am hoping to learn which ones are good and which ones to avoid. As Pointingdogsrule pointed out below, all butchers are not created equal so I'm looking for recommendations.

there's one in Glenrock that we used. A bit out of your way but when its 65 degrees and sunny, you've got to find a cooler pretty quick.

I can look up the phone and address if needed.

There was one East of Rawlins right off the interstate last time I hunted but I thought I saw a for sale sign on the building so I'm not sure if that's still operating. It was a taxidermist/meat processor.

Country Style in Glenrock.

And there is one in Douglas behind the ford dealership that I have used when I was a NR.

Having your meat processed by a reputable processor has its place. Especially if you wish to share some with friends or acquaintances who are new to the idea of eating wild game. Professionally cut and packaged meat goes a long way breaking down apprehensions. That said my butcher in the Casper area ends up refusing business because their facilities reach capacity after the first weekend so I'm not inclined to push more people there.

Yellowstone in Casper they do a good job and are really good people. They are located on Hwy 20/26 about 1/2 mile west of town.

There was one East of Rawlins right off the interstate last time I hunted but I thought I saw a for sale sign on the building so I'm not sure if that's still operating. It was a taxidermist/meat processor.

Country Style in Glenrock.

And there is one in Douglas behind the ford dealership that I have used when I was a NR.

I used to patronize the one by the Ford dealer when it was run by a gent named Layher. Then it got sold and ran as Grizzley Processing. It's now closed and the only game in town is Tom's Sausage Kitchen. Used them last year, but might try the one up in Glenrock.

We used Country Style in Glenrock last year. They did a good job but like most, they're not cheap. It was over $300 for a cow elk.

Tom's Sausage Kitchen was around $100 just to skin a goat and bone it out.

Which game processors will cape out animals for local taxidermists?

I used to patronize the one by the Ford dealer when it was run by a gent named Layher. Then it got sold and ran as Grizzley Processing. It's now closed and the only game in town is Tom's Sausage Kitchen. Used them last year, but might try the one up in Glenrock.

Tom's gets pretty busy since he is the only game in town so if you are in a time crunch I would find someone else. I think one guy we talked to last year waited 3 or 4 days for his antelope to be processed.

Tom's gets pretty busy since he is the only game in town so if you are in a time crunch I would find someone else. I think one guy we talked to last year waited 3 or 4 days for his antelope to be processed.

Got mine done pretty quickly last year since it was a simple bone out, package in 2 pound packages and freeze. It's hardly ready to eat tho.

Another option I have done several times : debone and freezer the quarters. Haul them home in a freezer or cooler. Drop off at my regular butcher. He allows them to thaw, cut , wrap, and refreeze the meat. I have not observed any loss of flavor with this method. I have had meat processed in western states during the seasons there. Each time, due to the huge volume of animals dropped off at the facilities, the rush processing jobs turned out less than desirable.

Tom's Sausage Kitchen was around $100 just to skin a goat and bone it out.

Which game processors will cape out animals for local taxidermists?

It's actually Tom's Wild Game Processing 307-358-4377 and they do caping. Tom's Sausage Kitchen is no longer in business that I know of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back