Yeti GOBOX Collection

Shin splints when wearing boots

CodyCass

I have been training for my Wyoming elk hunt for several weeks and recently starting wearing my boots to break them in. However, I can't go more than a mile without getting intense shin splints. This isn't normal training soreness, I think my body is telling me something is wrong. I don't try to walk through it, instead I switch to my running shoes and the pain instantly goes away. I have two different boots, Tibet GTX Hi and Beartooth II (uninsulated). I experience shin splints in both, but I'm able to go further in the Beartooths before the pain intensifies. Both boots are extremely comfortable to my foot, pain is just in my shins.

Last fall I was having trouble with my knees when I started to run and went and got fitted at the local running store for a good pair of shoes. It was determined that I have medium arches and straight legs, nothing crazy going on, just needed a good pair of shoes instead of the cheap tennis shoes I had been running in. They also gave me an insert for the shoes (currexSole RunPro insoles). I've been training for the last month with no issues.

I live in the suburbs so my walking/hiking occurs on pavement. With my running shoes on I can walk 5 plus miles, with a 40 pack with no issues. I'm sure the boots are the culprit, but can't figure out why I'd be getting shin splints. Any of you have a similar experience? Is it due to the pavement? Should I get a fitted insole/footbed? Could it be the weight of the boots vs my running shoes? I have several months until my hunt, but I'm nervous because I know how vital boots are to the whole operation. Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

Cody

A good pair of running shoes are designed specifically to lessen the shock to your feet and legs, whereas a good pair of boots might be made to be comfortable, but their main job is to support your foot/ankle over long periods of time. If you had custom inserts put into the running shoes, maybe try putting those into your hikers because you will want the same support in the field that you have in training, and an unsupported arch can iritate that MTSS. Also, you may want to check out some online videos and articles on Kinesio Tape for shin splints. Although you might have to shave your shins, it might be worth it because it can speed up the recovery time after iritating the MTSS and, over time, help cure it. I have been there and it is not fun at all!

Also try ice cup massages or ice baths when it flares up.

Best of luck.

IM not sure what you are experiencing, but shin splints don't come and go that fast. Once you have them, you've got them for a few days minimum.

Are you lacing them too tight and creating pressure points?

I would assume that the extra weight of the boot is putting stress on that anterior tibialis and it just doesn't like it. Also, if you increase the incline of hike too fast this can occur. I would suggest doing some band work therapy dorsi flexion. Look it up on youtube. Make sure and kneed out the tightness of lower leg ever time you work it as well so it doesnt stay tight.

Gentlemen many thanks for the prompt responses.

CodyCoop95: My next step was to try the inserts from my runners in my hiking boots. I have seen that Kinesio tape before, so I'll give that a try too if the inserts don't work. I was a swimmer in HS so shaving my legs isn't the end of the world, been there done that.

TimeOnTarget: You are right, I've had them before and they typically last a several days. Only reason I think I don't have that now is I immediately stop when I feel pain.

JLS: I was definitely lacing them up too tight the first couple times out, but even with them looser the pain still creeps up.

Wildaggie13: That was a thought I had too. I have some bands and I'll give that a try too

Check how your foot is sitting in the boot. Sometimes you need to put in a thicker or thinner insole to raise or lower you foot so the curve of your let/foot matches that of the boot better. Shin bang in ski boots is fixed the same way. A leather boot will eventually break in but if you have pain that quickly I'd adjust something.

Also, as a last ditch effort, it is always recommended to stop the activities that irritate it for about 6 weeks. I know that no one wants to stop their training, but that might be about the only thing that can stop the MTSS from creeping in. If you don't want to stop (who would) maybe try some lower impact exercises like the elliptical or the stair climber/jacobs ladder. Hope some of this helps!

Some boot manufaturers have different lacing patterns depending on where you are having pain. Its worth a look or also look at some generic patterns on line. No promises but its worth a try. If you go a new boot route, some retailers and manufacturers have a return policy if something like this happens. It allows you to truly try them out. It may cost more up front but worth a look if it comes to that.

Good luck, I'm interested in seeing what you find. I've had issues with this too and always end up hunting in hiking boots. Not as big of an issue in the east but it has worried me out west.

Again I want to thank everyone for their responses. In addition to seeking advice from the great HT community I gave L&S's a call. Their opinion was my running shoe were the problem, not the boots. They weren't shy about not being a fan of my brand of running shoe (Hoka) and that I'd be better served to switch. Either way they advised that the pain would likely go away after I spent more time in my boots, my foot/leg just needed some time in them.

Based on that conversation and what I garnered from my fellow HTers I went for a walk this morning. I took the mfg inserts out of the Beartooths and replaced them with the inserts from my runners. Additionally, I made sure not to lace them up too tight. Right away I could tell a difference. Close to a mile in a started to feel a little discomfort so I loosened one side and sure enough it alleviated some of the discomfort so i quickly did the same to the other side. Around 1.5 miles the discomfort peaked, but wasn't as intense as the previous treks so i decided to walk through it. Somewhere between 2 and 2.5 miles the discomfort went away. I ended up walking 5.5 miles (with a 40 lbs pack) and could have gone further, but dad duty called. Only thing I noticed when I took the boots off were a couple minor hot spots (no blisters) that I am chalking up to normal break-in and having one boot a little too loose for a small stretch.

I'm going to use a band for some anterior tibialis strengthening and hopefully put this little worry in the rear-view. I'm going to stick with the Beartooths for now, but eventually I'm going to try the Tibet's again to see which I like better.

Can't thank you enough!

Cody

If you feel shin splints coming on, shorten your stride (and pick up the rpms to compensate if you wish to maintain pace). Overstriding will produce SS and those boots may accentuate that problem.

Start with a good fitting boot. Get a good pair of insoles. Stretch and warm up. Watch your stride, keep them short and take your time. Use Aleve or another NSAID if you have any issues. Rest your legs when possible.

blacksheep

I've had nothing but good dealings and advice from L&S! Glad you got it worked out.

If you don't mind, what did they not like about the Hoka's? I've recently switch to a somewhat similar type shoe; Altra.

Was going to leave my two cents but it looks like you already got some good advice. I was thinking that it's probably more of a muscle problem than a shin splints problem and that the band workouts should help you out. Could definitely have been the boots being to tight and cutting off circulation as well (my old football cleats would do the same thing if too tight). Glad you got it squared away!

interesting LS passed the buck onto your running shoes.

Glad you're on the path to a solution at least!

Update. I couldn't be happier with my Beartooths. The issues I was having at first were all on me. I could go on and on about all the things I love about them, but I'm going to focus on one thing; breathability. I live in St. Louis and I'd put our summer humidity up there as one of the worst in the country. Walking from the house to the garage is a chore and doing so without breaking a sweat is next to impossible. As such I try to get all my training done in the morning before the sun comes up and makes things feel worse. However, this week I've been forced to do my walking in the evening. I come home looking like I just got out of a pool, everything is drenched, except for my feet. I don't know how they did it, but they made these boots extremely breathable. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

Start with a good fitting boot. Get a good pair of insoles. Stretch and warm up. Watch your stride, keep them short and take your time. Use Aleve or another NSAID if you have any issues. Rest your legs when possible.

blacksheep

Yes, pace is also an important factor. CodyCass, when you feel unwell, you have to take a break and don't force your legs. In addition, I suggest that you use preventive calf compression sleeves. These socks can provide support and have a good preventive and recovery effect on shin splints.

Last edited:
In the FWIW department, I used to suffer from shin splints a bunch. But now, in my dotage, I took up running again, resigned to battling shin splints, but my physical therapist who keeps me right side up, said, on day in passing, don't lengthen your stride, just increase the rpms. Sure enough, following that advice, even when I feel like my gait is sort and choppy, I never ever get splints. This is true of walking as well as running. So, maybe you are overstriding. Maybe. Keep'em short and see if that helps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back