Caribou Gear Tarp

Bear spot and stalk with a bow.

Kiwi

I’m heading to CO in sept to hunt mule deer. Now I’m thinking about a second species to hunt if I get time. I think I can apply for a leftover bear tag, and if I get one would like to try hunting with my bow.

I’ve bow hunted bear in a tree stand and that was awesome but I’d also like to stalk one with my bow. Is this very common in CO? I think there are tags left over around Aspen so might look at try around there. Crazy or doable for a novice bear hunter?

Appreciate any tips or suggestions. Thanks.

First time for everything. I've spotted and stalked bears, a few times, in Alaska, while hunting something else.

You can only spot and stalk bear in CO, bait and dogs are illegal. There are a couple of options for bear tags, 1. Left over Limited Draw tags Sept 2-30, this is a rifle tag but you could definitely use your bow, you would need to check you unit and the left over list. 2. Get an OTC Unlimited With Caps tag, this would be good for the unit where you have your deer tag and for the same time period, you would be restricted to using a bow.

Depending on the unit could be very doable, I've killed 3 bears spot and stalk with a rifle but all were within bow range, look for mast like oak brush.

Thanks for the pointer guys, appreciated. I think I'll try for a left over tag, and have the choice of bow or rifle. Will see now brave I feel :)

I'll also learn more about oak brush.

Back