Caribou Gear Tarp

Nebraska Elk

It looks like everything came together perfectly. Congrats on the elk. It sure is fun to draw those coveted tags.

Nebraska has giant bull elk, but getting a permit takes awhile. I have landowner buddies that draw tags fairly regularly. One killed a new state record 416 typical firearm record last year. I struck out on a cow tag, due to poor access to some areas. I hate begging permission. I could have killed a 360+ bull that I called into 60 yards or so, which was fun. I will just help them process their big elk, when they get them.

My mind is blown that there is a huntable population of elk in Nebraska. Obviously indigenous before Lewis/Clark, elk would have thrived in the prairies and up into the riverine ecosystems, and then the NW sandhills areas as well. But when I think of 21st century Nebraska, my mind thinks of eastern and central Nebraska with pivots and corn pickers every where and doesn't think of elk at all.

Congratulations on a fine bull

Fantastic bull! Should be some quality steak and burger for you and your family throughout the next year.

My mind is blown that there is a huntable population of elk in Nebraska. Obviously indigenous before Lewis/Clark, elk would have thrived in the prairies and up into the riverine ecosystems, and then the NW sandhills areas as well. But when I think of 21st century Nebraska, my mind thinks of eastern and central Nebraska with pivots and corn pickers every where and doesn't think of elk at all.

Just for reference, at the time of Lewis and Clark it was elk, not deer, not bison, that were most common in Iowa. It was also where the 1st Europeans found coyotes. It was a very different world. And not that long ago.

There are abundant mule deer, antelope and multiple herds of bighorn sheep in Nebraska. Record book animals by any measure including sheep.

Occasionally moose, bears, and wolves from Wyoming are in the state as well. On top of all that the lion population is out of control and hunting will finally resume this winter.

The Western part of the state is more like Wyoming than areas around Lincoln or Omaha.

I do laugh when people say this. Yes a large part of the southeast part of the state is exactly as you describe. But a lot of the west and northwest is more like wyoming/SD (as stated above) then what you describe. The northern part along the missouri river and the western part has some pretty rugged country. It is fantastic elk habitat. What is lacking is access. A lot of the elk spend time on the huge ranches and it takes access to get at them. These people that constantly have elk on their property have found ways to turn this into cash. A nebraska bull is a once in a lifetime tag (unless you are a landowner I believe) if you harvest so this is the ONE instance I would favor paying some cash for access to get a bull that will most certainly be 350 on up to 400 depending on the area. I will likely start rolling the dice the next few years to hopefully get my chance but there are other places I want to hunt first (az, NM, etc). haha. I have never seen any stats but I'm guessing the average bull elk taken in nebraska rivals anywhere else in the west (and probably surpasses it due to the limited access, favorable growing conditions for antlers, and low abundance of tags). I love seeing the pics. If you guys want to see some GIANT bulls go to western Nebraska big game hunting on Facebook and look at some of the bulls taken this season. Good luck everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back